The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I just wanna blow it up!

VIC_CITY

5 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Last night was UGLY. Probably the low point of the season...but I don't think this is a knee jerk reaction.

We aren't going anywhere this year and I am 100% ok with that. I want to see our younger guys develop and at the same time, get something of value for our aging vets. It makes no sense to let these guys go for nothing just for the off chance that we can snag a top 3 divisional seed. Baring a drastic turnaround, we are not a top 8 team in the west and I have a really hard time envisioning a scenario where we could win a playoff round. We are too mediocre and it's to be expected given where we are in the rebuild. I know TL and JB want to challenge for a playoff spot and I agree that that's the type of environment that you want to bring our prospects up in but I don't really see that as a reality. This is not our year, so let's put our focus on building for the future and with some additional prospects and potential UFA signings, we could come back stronger next year.

So...

Higgins -  trade for a late 3rd or defensive prospect. Not sure if he is worth that at the moment but it's time to move on. He's great character guy but we need to pass the torch to players like Gaunce who could essentially fill the same role at less than half the salary. Higgins has a NTC but I believe he would waive for a contender if he was told that he was not in our future plans.

Hansen - His value is at an all time high right now and could probably fetch a high end prospect or late 1st/early 2nd. He also has a NTC but he strikes me as a guy that just wants to win and would welcome a trade to a team that really valued him and would play him with skilled players. Purely speculation though!

Hamhuis - I'm not sure if he'd accept a trade since he clearly loves BC. It may be wiser to wait until closer to the deadline with him since we're so thin on D and his contract will be easier to absorb in a trade. Hammer for a 2nd or solid D prospect. If it's a late 2nd, throw in a bit of a sweetener.

Edler - Also better to wait until the deadline but if some other team really values Eddie and is willing to make a solid offer, they can have him. I know he's having a good year points wise but he's not a top pairing d man and he's replaceable. That $5M is better spent elsewhere and he likely has the most trade value out of all of our disposable assets. Rebuild, rebuild, REBUILD! Oh ya, he also has a NTC ;) 

Vrbata - He just hasn't played with enough heart this year and yes, he is our most skilled forward not named Sedin but he just doesn't have a future on this team and we need to get back an asset for him. Surprise, surprise...Vrby has a NTC as well. We may have to hang onto him until we're closer to the deadline and his salary is more absorbable but pleeeeassseee JB, trade this man! Hard to gage his value right now but he could very well fetch a late 1st if he picks up his scoring.

Burrows - Noooooo! I love this man. One of my fave Canucks of all time. I would hate to see him go but I would also consider it if he was willing wave his NTC. There has been some talk about his suitability in Montreal. I'm not really sold on that myself but if he was a fit there, I'd have to think he'd accept a trade. So what's he worth? Hard to say but probably a mid 2nd and a fairly solid prospect.

Weber - If we can get a 5th round pick for him, I'd be happy. We got a 5th for Diaz a couple years ago and I think Weber is actually more valuable than Diaz so I can see it happening.

BO....HORVAT... - Wait...what? Hear me out. This is clearly a horrible time to trade him since he's having a pretty underwhelming year. But we are pretty stacked at center. There is a clear need for young defensemen and if could get a young, potential top pairing dman in a trade for him then it's something we would have to consider. With Hank, Sutter, McCann, Cracknell, Cassels, we'd still be solid down the middle. Food for thought!

Ryan Miller - Trade for Eddie Lack :P

OK so you get the idea. We have a big opportunity to make moves towards building for the future of this organization and the time is right...right now! With the addition of more prospects, draft picks and free agents, we would set ourselves up to be an absolute force for years to come.

Thoughts?

Teen angst much?

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Teen angst much?

Hold on.  The kid might have something.  I like Bo, but if he could return a top pairing younger D man, that's something that must be considered.  I don't know any young top pairing (potential) d?  Does Colorado have one, because they need a good young centre to replace ROR?

15 minutes ago, tbone909 said:

Wish the message board would go down for a week... This is the worst i've seen it around here for a while. I knew what to expect this year and the next few maybe.The team is retooling aka rebuilding.

I think people are so used to having a playoff team now that people just go nuts when we actually start losing....

I think the only people I haven't heard actual complaints about so far this season are McCann and Hutton. lol

Funny thing is if we had some bounces go our way a few more times we'd be talking about how amazing we are doing. This team is good, just good enough to stay in these games. Just so happens we come up slightly short. Small adjustments and these games start going our way. Getting Sutter back will be huge. 

If we stay competitive and just come up short, we'll walk away with a good pick. Make the adjustments in the off season and we'll come up ahead next season. While it is frustrating to come up short. This team has been close to winning these games. It's not like every game is 4-0. 

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Funny thing is if we had some bounces go our way a few more times we'd be talking about how amazing we are doing. This team is good, just good enough to stay in these games. Just so happens we come up slightly short. Small adjustments and these games start going our way. Getting Sutter back will be huge. 

If we stay competitive and just come up short, we'll walk away with a good pick. Make the adjustments in the off season and we'll come up ahead next season. While it is frustrating to come up short. This team has been close to winning these games. It's not like every game is 4-0. 

Definitely agree. Aside from Anaheim, it's not like we're getting demolished out there. We're in each game, we're just not that lucky at the moment. It just goes to show how close the league is and how sometimes sheer luck can dictate the path teams take.

59 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think people are so used to having a playoff team now that people just go nuts when we actually start losing....

I think the only people I haven't heard actual complaints about so far this season are McCann and Hutton. lol

What a surprise, nobody wants to rag on the rookies (even though they have earned their good reputation). Same thing happened to Bo last year. Now people are already making imaginary trade offers for him. Just sad....

Just now, Canucks Prophet said:

What a surprise, nobody wants to rag on the rookies (even though they have earned their good reputation). Same thing happened to Bo last year. Now people are already making imaginary trade offers for him. Just sad....

Man, if CDC had their way, we'd be faaaaaaaaaar worse than Edmonton. lol

8 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Clearly most of you aren't interested in entertaining the idea of trading Horvat to fill our biggest weakness, defensive prospects. Perhaps you could put some intelligent thought into your responses though, as my suggestion for CONSIDERING trading him is based on the fact that either Horvat or McCann will be moved to the wing or stuck at 4C until Henrik retires. I personally would love to re-sign Cracknell to be our 4C as he's been one of our most consistent players all year.

But if you don't want to trade Horvat, that's fine. I understand how lucky we are to have him. I stand by the rest of my post though.

OK, so I'm on this a bit late, but I think you're being nearsighted. In a couple few years we will need two top six C men and you will be glad as hell we didn't trade Horvat who (IMO) will be a Selke nominee and cornerstone for the organization. Trading Bo would be like the Cam Neely(sp) curse all over again. We have lots of young and old assets that can be packaged for young D/picks. 

Move Horvat= Decades of regret

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

OK, so I'm on this a bit late, but I think you're being nearsighted. In a couple few years we will need two top six C men and you will be glad as hell we didn't trade Horvat who (IMO) will be a Selke nominee and cornerstone for the organization. Trading Bo would be like the Cam Neely(sp) curse all over again. We have lots of young and old assets that can be packaged for young D/picks. 

Move Horvat= Decades of regret

What if Hamonic comes back this way?  I'm not for trading Bo either, but if it's an elite, number one D, who's tough coming back, it's got to be at least considered?

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What if Hamonic comes back this way?  I'm not for trading Bo either, but if it's an elite, number one D, who's tough coming back, it's got to be at least considered?

I believe Islanders have said that they want a defenceman to replace Hamonic in return. They don't want to get rid of Hamonic themselves, it's a very bizarre situation. 

Just now, Canucks Prophet said:

I believe Islanders have said that they want a defenceman to replace Hamonic in return. They don't want to get rid of Hamonic themselves, it's a very bizarre situation. 

Would they take Tanev?  Is not he considered a good defenceman?  

3 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

I think Tanev would probably fit the bill, if the Islanders consider his excellent advanced stats. 

Is JB daft? (I learned that word here tonight.  I'm apparently daft) If that trade is out there he's got to do that.  Shouldn't he?  Daft people need extra help to get along in life, and often get called as**ole too.  (I learned that here too). I learned a lot about myself since posting here.  It's fascinating, really.:)

9 hours ago, Heretic said:

Horvat is going to replace Henrik - why would you trade him?

I'm not interested in a 7 years and going rebuild like the Oilers.

I think Horvat's absolute best cast scenario is replacing Kesler, and even that's a stretch.

I like Horvat a lot and would be in no rush to unload him, but people really extrapolated way too much for his career from his decent rookie year.  And it really was only a decent rookie year - nowhere close to the rookie year of Linden, for example.

What I've seen so far from him suggests a solid 3rd line C.  Could he be better than this?  He absolutely could.  His development could take a sharp upturn just like it did with the Sedins.  But where is the evidence?

I think it would be a very successful career for Horvat if he is remembered like, say, Murray Craven when it is all said and done.

Archived