The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I just wanna blow it up!

VIC_CITY

4 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Did anyone expect this team to be better than a fringe playoff team? I was under the impression most of CDC thought we would be picking in the 8-14 range

I believe most of CDC wanted to start an all rookie lineup, win all their games and get a high draft pick.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Their rebuild would likely have been over if they'd fixed that by drafting Murray and trading other assets to help build a better overall team.

Murray is going pretty so so at the moment.  Maybe because he is coming off a big injury last year?

In any case its a pretty big stretch to say Murray, in his current form, would be the Oilers saving grace...

6 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Did anyone expect this team to be better than a fringe playoff team? I was under the impression most of CDC thought we would be picking in the 8-14 range

Correct.

Fur and frustration fly after a bad game. Hell afte any game we don't win, but especially after a bad game...

You lost me at Horvat, but I agree with the other moves. Horvat is next in line as Captain and top line centre. He's also 20. He's not going anywhere. As for the Sedins, they may just drop down to the 2nd line in 2 years, when Horvat is 22. The kids have time to adjust before they're expected to take the reins. The players I feel should stay are: Hank, Danny, Baertschi, Horvat, Sutter, Virtanen, Dorsett, McCann, Tanev, Hutton and Markstrom. Everyone else on the current roster can go, including special teams coach, Glen Gulutzen.

2 hours ago, Darius71 said:

They need Sutter back and they need to bring Bo along on the third and/or maybe even the forth line. He needs some sheltering to get his confidence back.  If he was 25 years old and has been playing like this for a couple years then I would maybe give up on him..almost the territory Baertschi is in right now.

This, exactly

2 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Clearly most of you aren't interested in entertaining the idea of trading Horvat to fill our biggest weakness, defensive prospects. Perhaps you could put some intelligent thought into your responses though, as my suggestion for CONSIDERING trading him is based on the fact that either Horvat or McCann will be moved to the wing or stuck at 4C until Henrik retires. I personally would love to re-sign Cracknell to be our 4C as he's been one of our most consistent players all year.

But if you don't want to trade Horvat, that's fine. I understand how lucky we are to have him. I stand by the rest of my post though.

They might not seem so thin on D if Pedan can make the transition and they Tryamkin over from Russia.  The foggy future on D becomes a little clearer at that point.

Clearly most of you aren't interested in entertaining the idea of trading Horvat to fill our biggest weakness, defensive prospects. Perhaps you could put some intelligent thought into your responses though, as my suggestion for CONSIDERING trading him is based on the fact that either Horvat or McCann will be moved to the wing or stuck at 4C until Henrik retires. I personally would love to re-sign Cracknell to be our 4C as he's been one of our most consistent players all year.

But if you don't want to trade Horvat, that's fine. I understand how lucky we are to have him. I stand by the rest of my post though.

Obviously the Canucks should not be trading high ceiling young guys like Horvat unless they get high ceiling young guys back. But those trades are rare and Benning has said the Canucks will not be trading away those guys.

The vets on expiring contracts -- Hammer, Vrby, maybe Prust, Weber, Bartkowski are all likely to be made available at the deadline in returns for picks if the Canucks are out of playoff position.

Nothing new about that. There is no point in "blowing up the team" after one very bad game (although I admit that the whole month of November was disappointing).

And, with Hutton and Sutter healthy the Canucks would be a better team. Also, they have been through a nightmarish travel schedule for the past two weeks. You can understand why there is nothing in the tank right now.

It's disappointing to see people on here already warming to the idea of trading Horvat. Of course he hasn't been good so far this season. There's a number of factors to that, not just his own play.

But how we can be a rebuilding team if our patience has a ceiling of about 2 months? He's 20 years old, hasn't even finished his rookie contract yet. Give him some time, that's all....

45 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Murray is going pretty so so at the moment.  Maybe because he is coming off a big injury last year?

In any case its a pretty big stretch to say Murray, in his current form, would be the Oilers saving grace...

Which is why I didn't say Murray alone. But he'd sure be helping if he could have avoided the injury bug he's had so far.

I don’t know about blowing it up and I definitely am not trading Horvat, but a big overhaul is needed

Out

Vbrata, Hamhuis, Higgins, Burrows, Edler, Prust

That’s 24 mill in cap space going out.

In

Lucic, Yandle, Rodin, Top 4 RH D (Gudbranson, Hamonic, Barrie, Byfuglein)

Sedin Sedin Sutter

Lucic Horvat Hansen

Baertschi McCann Rodin

Gaunce Cracknell Dorsett

Shinkaruk

Kenins

Yandle Tanev

Hutton (top 4 d)

Pedan Sbisa

Tryamkin

Markstrom

Miller

Virtanen starts the year in the AHL, and once he begins looks more NHL comfortable you than can look at trading Dorsett/Hansen to make room.  

3 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Last night was UGLY. Probably the low point of the season...but I don't think this is a knee jerk reaction.

We aren't going anywhere this year and I am 100% ok with that. I want to see our younger guys develop and at the same time, get something of value for our aging vets. It makes no sense to let these guys go for nothing just for the off chance that we can snag a top 3 divisional seed. Baring a drastic turnaround, we are not a top 8 team in the west and I have a really hard time envisioning a scenario where we could win a playoff round. We are too mediocre and it's to be expected given where we are in the rebuild. I know TL and JB want to challenge for a playoff spot and I agree that that's the type of environment that you want to bring our prospects up in but I don't really see that as a reality. This is not our year, so let's put our focus on building for the future and with some additional prospects and potential UFA signings, we could come back stronger next year.

So...

Higgins -  trade for a late 3rd or defensive prospect. Not sure if he is worth that at the moment but it's time to move on. He's great character guy but we need to pass the torch to players like Gaunce who could essentially fill the same role at less than half the salary. Higgins has a NTC but I believe he would waive for a contender if he was told that he was not in our future plans.

Hansen - His value is at an all time high right now and could probably fetch a high end prospect or late 1st/early 2nd. He also has a NTC but he strikes me as a guy that just wants to win and would welcome a trade to a team that really valued him and would play him with skilled players. Purely speculation though!

Hamhuis - I'm not sure if he'd accept a trade since he clearly loves BC. It may be wiser to wait until closer to the deadline with him since we're so thin on D and his contract will be easier to absorb in a trade. Hammer for a 2nd or solid D prospect. If it's a late 2nd, throw in a bit of a sweetener.

Edler - Also better to wait until the deadline but if some other team really values Eddie and is willing to make a solid offer, they can have him. I know he's having a good year points wise but he's not a top pairing d man and he's replaceable. That $5M is better spent elsewhere and he likely has the most trade value out of all of our disposable assets. Rebuild, rebuild, REBUILD! Oh ya, he also has a NTC ;) 

Vrbata - He just hasn't played with enough heart this year and yes, he is our most skilled forward not named Sedin but he just doesn't have a future on this team and we need to get back an asset for him. Surprise, surprise...Vrby has a NTC as well. We may have to hang onto him until we're closer to the deadline and his salary is more absorbable but pleeeeassseee JB, trade this man! Hard to gage his value right now but he could very well fetch a late 1st if he picks up his scoring.

Burrows - Noooooo! I love this man. One of my fave Canucks of all time. I would hate to see him go but I would also consider it if he was willing wave his NTC. There has been some talk about his suitability in Montreal. I'm not really sold on that myself but if he was a fit there, I'd have to think he'd accept a trade. So what's he worth? Hard to say but probably a mid 2nd and a fairly solid prospect.

Weber - If we can get a 5th round pick for him, I'd be happy. We got a 5th for Diaz a couple years ago and I think Weber is actually more valuable than Diaz so I can see it happening.

BO....HORVAT... - Wait...what? Hear me out. This is clearly a horrible time to trade him since he's having a pretty underwhelming year. But we are pretty stacked at center. There is a clear need for young defensemen and if could get a young, potential top pairing dman in a trade for him then it's something we would have to consider. With Hank, Sutter, McCann, Cracknell, Cassels, we'd still be solid down the middle. Food for thought!

Ryan Miller - Trade for Eddie Lack :P

OK so you get the idea. We have a big opportunity to make moves towards building for the future of this organization and the time is right...right now! With the addition of more prospects, draft picks and free agents, we would set ourselves up to be an absolute force for years to come.

Thoughts?

Higgins- Trade value is lower than his value to the team. But I'd trade if a good offer came.

Hansen- His value is high because he is a good player, he has lots left, if you move Higgy got to keep Hansen.

Hamhuis- Also still has 2 or 3 good years left, wants to be a Canuck, great mentor for young d prospects ( see EDM for examples of no1 to lead the youngsters) Will take a hometown discount..

Edler- your nuts! Not hard to replace?? Big body, good first pass, decent shot and skating ability, physical. He's a plus player on a .500 hockey team, playing against the other teams best lines.

Vrbata- Take anything, lets get Shink up!

Weber- take him out back and put him and us, out our misery!

Bo- You want to blow thing up and rebuild, news flash! That takes patience! Yet you want to give up on our top prospect after 23 games into his sophomore season?! Bo's fine, will be fine and has a long future with the Canucks ahead of him!

Burrows- Love Burr, but right or wrong the NHL has it out for this guy. I've always wondered if we'd stop getting screwed by the officials if he was wearing another jersey? Only way to find out is trade him to the Coyotes and see if he draws more penalties and is called for less than what he gets in a Canucks jersey

Ryan Miller- Still a very good goaltender, but is showing his age with the workload that has been put on him. Start using Markstrom more, not 50-50, but maybe 60-40. If Markstrom can show well, sets up next year as 50-50, then Transitions into Markstrom/Demko 2017/2018

3 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Last night was UGLY. Probably the low point of the season...but I don't think this is a knee jerk reaction.

We aren't going anywhere this year and I am 100% ok with that. I want to see our younger guys develop and at the same time, get something of value for our aging vets. It makes no sense to let these guys go for nothing just for the off chance that we can snag a top 3 divisional seed. Baring a drastic turnaround, we are not a top 8 team in the west and I have a really hard time envisioning a scenario where we could win a playoff round. We are too mediocre and it's to be expected given where we are in the rebuild. I know TL and JB want to challenge for a playoff spot and I agree that that's the type of environment that you want to bring our prospects up in but I don't really see that as a reality. This is not our year, so let's put our focus on building for the future and with some additional prospects and potential UFA signings, we could come back stronger next year.

So...

Higgins -  trade for a late 3rd or defensive prospect. Not sure if he is worth that at the moment but it's time to move on. He's great character guy but we need to pass the torch to players like Gaunce who could essentially fill the same role at less than half the salary. Higgins has a NTC but I believe he would waive for a contender if he was told that he was not in our future plans.

Hansen - His value is at an all time high right now and could probably fetch a high end prospect or late 1st/early 2nd. He also has a NTC but he strikes me as a guy that just wants to win and would welcome a trade to a team that really valued him and would play him with skilled players. Purely speculation though!

Hamhuis - I'm not sure if he'd accept a trade since he clearly loves BC. It may be wiser to wait until closer to the deadline with him since we're so thin on D and his contract will be easier to absorb in a trade. Hammer for a 2nd or solid D prospect. If it's a late 2nd, throw in a bit of a sweetener.

Edler - Also better to wait until the deadline but if some other team really values Eddie and is willing to make a solid offer, they can have him. I know he's having a good year points wise but he's not a top pairing d man and he's replaceable. That $5M is better spent elsewhere and he likely has the most trade value out of all of our disposable assets. Rebuild, rebuild, REBUILD! Oh ya, he also has a NTC ;) 

Vrbata - He just hasn't played with enough heart this year and yes, he is our most skilled forward not named Sedin but he just doesn't have a future on this team and we need to get back an asset for him. Surprise, surprise...Vrby has a NTC as well. We may have to hang onto him until we're closer to the deadline and his salary is more absorbable but pleeeeassseee JB, trade this man! Hard to gage his value right now but he could very well fetch a late 1st if he picks up his scoring.

Burrows - Noooooo! I love this man. One of my fave Canucks of all time. I would hate to see him go but I would also consider it if he was willing wave his NTC. There has been some talk about his suitability in Montreal. I'm not really sold on that myself but if he was a fit there, I'd have to think he'd accept a trade. So what's he worth? Hard to say but probably a mid 2nd and a fairly solid prospect.

Weber - If we can get a 5th round pick for him, I'd be happy. We got a 5th for Diaz a couple years ago and I think Weber is actually more valuable than Diaz so I can see it happening.

BO....HORVAT... - Wait...what? Hear me out. This is clearly a horrible time to trade him since he's having a pretty underwhelming year. But we are pretty stacked at center. There is a clear need for young defensemen and if could get a young, potential top pairing dman in a trade for him then it's something we would have to consider. With Hank, Sutter, McCann, Cracknell, Cassels, we'd still be solid down the middle. Food for thought!

Ryan Miller - Trade for Eddie Lack :P

OK so you get the idea. We have a big opportunity to make moves towards building for the future of this organization and the time is right...right now! With the addition of more prospects, draft picks and free agents, we would set ourselves up to be an absolute force for years to come.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a rant after a bad game.  This too shall pass.

Haha I meant this topic, minus the Bo Horvat part. So not everyone all butt hurt over the idea of him not retiring a Canuck with his jersey in the rafters. Considering that took up maybe 3% of my post and was more of an after thought throw in comment.

Wow, so people don't agree with you on trading Horvat and now you think we want his jersey retired in the rafters and that we're butthurt?

You really need to learn how to take criticism. Just saying....

3 minutes ago, Todd Bersnoozi said:

Is he a D-man?  :P

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/jakob-chychrun-is-the-best-defenseman-of-the-2016-draft-class/

Defenseman Jakob Chychrun brings size, speed, toughness and a cracking shot to the ice and really; you can’t ask for much more in a prospect. That’s why the Sarnia Sting sophomore will be the top 2016 draft hopeful to watch in North America this season and by far the most coveted defenseman.

With American center Auston Matthews plying his trade against men in Switzerland and dangerous right winger Jesse Puljujarvi facing similar competition at home in Finland, Chychrun will have a lot of attention on him in the OHL. Luckily, the kid is pretty good.

“I think ‘Chicky’ is going to be the best defenseman in the league (this) year,” said former teammate Anthony DeAngelo, the Tampa Bay first-rounder. “I’m not sure if there’s someone else like him coming up, but in my opinion I don’t think there will be anyone better.”

The son of former NHL enforcer Jeff Chychrun was born and raised in Florida, where he attended prestigious American Heritage High School, playing multiple sports and sharing a weightlifting class with future Notre Dame running back Greg Bryant. The school also recently produced San Francisco Giants shortstop prospect Lucius Fox, so sports are well known there. Hockey? Maybe not so much. In fact, Chychrun’s classmates didn’t realize what a talent they had in their ranks.

“That was tough,” Chychrun said. “I don’t think they really understood what I was trying to accomplish.”

School was always a focal point for the blueliner and his family and Chychrun managed a 4.0 GPA while taking honors courses. And though the humid setting may not scream hockey, the 17-year-old wouldn’t have changed a thing.

“I consider myself very lucky to be from Florida,” he said. “My dad coached me all the way up and he coached me the right way.”

Eventually though, Chychrun outgrew the state – in many senses of the word. When Sarnia took him first overall in the 2014 OHL draft, he was already 6-foot-2 and 195 pounds. By then, he was playing for the Toronto Jr. Canadiens. Before that, he spent several years with Detroit’s Little Caesar’s program, flying up from Florida to Michigan on weekends, sometimes leaving on Thursdays if the team had a tournament.

That’s a lot of sacrifice for a teenager, but so far it’s been worth it. Chychrun is now up to 214 pounds and will be a crucial part of a Sarnia team that added New Jersey Devils prospect Josh Jacobs to the ‘D’ corps over the summer from Michigan State. New owner Derian Hatcher – a pretty good NHL defenseman himself back in the day – also takes over behind the bench, replacing Trevor Letowski (now an associate coach with Windsor).

“We had a great staff last year that helped me a lot and it will be great having another ex-pro coming in,” Chychrun said. “All the boys are really excited.”

Even more exciting for Chychrun? He’s finally healthy. The big kid missed the OHL Cup with the Jr. Canadiens due to injury and then went through two stages of shoulder problems as a rookie with the Sting. First, his shoulder popped out before the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, causing him to miss the showcase event – which happened to take place in Sarnia. Then, right before the OHL playoffs, it popped out again after a fight with Guelph’s Brock Philips. He had surgery in April to correct matters.

Sarnia will need Chychrun at full strength if the Sting has any hope of doing damage in the post-season. For a franchise that has boasted Steven Stamkos, Nail Yakupov and Alex Galchenyuk as members in recent years, Sarnia has won just a single playoff round in the past decade. Needless to say, there’s some urgency being felt.

“One-hundred percent,” Chychrun said. “We even felt the urgency last year. Maybe because we were so young, we didn’t have that experience and we let some leads slip away. But we’re all very prepared now.”

Given how well Chychrun performed in limited duty as a rookie, a full schedule with him in the lineup would do wonders for that progression. Childhood friend and fellow 2016 prospect Logan Brown offered the following assessment:

“He’s fast, he’s strong and he’s got a good stick,” said the Windsor Spitfires center. “I don’t think there’s a weak point to his game.”

For the record, Chychrun wants to focus on improving his defensive zone play this season. A video room fiend, he tends not to use the viewings for ego boosts.

“I’ve watched the negative clips a hundred times,” he said. “I think I’ve watched the positives once.”

A lot of scouts will be watching video and live performances of Chychrun this season. And something tells me that they’ll be finding a lot more positives than negatives in his game.

Archived