The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Utica] Virtanen assigned to Utica for conditioning stint

Odd.

Hmm, and not one comment complaining about a conditioning stint after a short injury layoff. It's a bit odd, but with conditioning stints used for situations like Corrado's and Bernier's this is more in line with the rules, it's just usually they're only used after a longer layoff.

22 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

He should go back to junior for the rest of the season, let him go to the WJ's.  He needs to build on his confidence, and Vancouver isn't in the position right now to give that to him.   He got a good taste, and he knows he can play, now he just needs to snipe some in the net so he can come back with a vengeance, besides even know new GM's like to favor their own picks we have some serviceable guys in Utica that either needs to be showcased , or at least see what they got since they are seasoned pros now.

He's burned a year off his entry level deal regardless, as I understand things.  Why not just keep at a higher level of play in the AHL rather than send him to junior?  He should develop better, and may end up developing chemistry with Shinkaruk or other future Canucks.

Junior would make sense to me if he hadn't already played >9 games in the NHL this year, but that ship has sailed.

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

He's burned a year off his entry level deal regardless, as I understand things.  Why not just keep at a higher level of play in the AHL rather than send him to junior?  He should develop better, and may end up developing chemistry with Shinkaruk or other future Canucks.

Junior would make sense to me if he hadn't already played >9 games in the NHL this year, but that ship has sailed.

9 games burns a year off ELC but 41 games burns a year off free agent status 

35 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Man I wish we could stretch that out to 5 full games and then the WJC

Good place for him.  Might be a good look see to see how he'll work with players like Shink, Vey etc

Don't see why not. The Comets play 5 games between the 9th -18th. Unless they want to get him into some practices first.

6 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Don't see why not. The Comets play 5 games between the 9th -18th. Unless they want to get him into some practices first.

If I am reading that correctly Benning is suggesting 2 practices and 2 games?  i could be wrong but we will see I guess.  be exciting to see him with the kids he'll be hopefully playing his career out with

52 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Hmm, and not one comment complaining about a conditioning stint after a short injury layoff. It's a bit odd, but with conditioning stints used for situations like Corrado's and Bernier's this is more in line with the rules, it's just usually they're only used after a longer layoff.

Unless you're counting a bruised ego as being injured, you're comparing apples to mangos 

35 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Virtanen isn't AHL eligible until he turns 20 I believe. The conditioning stint is an exception where he is allowed a maximum of 14 days with Utica.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I think this should be the measuring stick to see if he comes back to the big club or goes to the world juniors.

He's got 5 games down there to find his game before the December 19th deadline. He'll either be getting a plane ticket to Vancouver or to Helsinki.

Good points.  So the conditioning stint still counts against the 40 game limit?  

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No i don't think so.

Clever way to extend that decision point by a couple of weeks.  I'm psyched to see him Friday night against Nylander and Marlies.  Didn't think Id get to see him this year except against Buffalo or Ottawa if I ran up to those road games.  

Archived