The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Canada WJC - Virtanen update

NHL'er

15 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

I'm happy Jake is going down. Guy needs his confidence back. Team Canada will help him out I'm certain.  He looked a bit rough before his injury, this will definitely help out his confidence. 

I don't understand why everyone wants McCann to go to Team Canada as well though. Watching him, he's looked pretty good in the NHL. His game away from the puck has vastly improved, and he's transitioning well. He's not scoring, but he's making things happen out there. I think McCann has earned his spot to stay. Jake though needs a tune up. 

There is no doubt McCann belongs in the NHL and has earned his roster spot. The question though, is whether playing on a team that could be last in the Western Conference by the end of next week, is in the best interests of McCann's development. Sending McCann to the WJHC wouldn't be a permanent move.

5 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

But who replaces McCann?  We dont have  enough options to replace McCann, and Carknell on the 3rd line would be a major face palm

Who cares at this point though, we aren't going anywhere. Call up anyone, experiment or shuffle for the 2-3 weeks.

Sedin

Horvat

Vey/Gaunce/Jones/Cracknell 

Cracknell/Jones/Friesen/Prust (played some C in Montreal). 

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Who cares at this point though, we aren't going anywhere. Call up anyone, experiment or shuffle for the 2-3 weeks.

Sedin

Horvat

Vey/Gaunce/Jones/Cracknell 

Cracknell/Jones/Prust (played some C in Montreal). 

Well im sure most of CDC will be having a fit when we lose 8-10 of the 12 games they are going to miss

Just now, Gstank29 said:

Well im sure most of CDC will be having a fit when we lose 8-10 of the 12 games they are going to miss

CDC will have a fit about anything and everything regardless.

Like I said, this season is a throw away. Why not experiment and give two 19 year old's a good Christmas and a chance to represent/help the country. 

4 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

McCann has been developing  nice no doubt about it. His presence however can easily be replaced by a number of different callups if need be. Virtanen is a regular healthy scratch over a guy who is also not performing well. 

These two in our lineup with hardly make or break our season. I'd we win or lose it won't be because of or in spite of their presence. 

5 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

McCann has been developing  nice no doubt about it. His presence however can easily be replaced by a number of different callups if need be. Virtanen is a regular healthy scratch over a guy who is also not performing well. 

These two in our lineup with hardly make or break our season. I'd we win or lose it won't be because of or in spite of their presence. 

I was debating on chancing the "They" to a "McCann". McCann out of the lineup leaves even more responsibility on Horvat to perform offensively and we all know how that as worked out this year. I don't see Benning running  a lineup consisting of 2 4th line center,  1 3rd line center and a first line center. for almost a month. Especially with the teams we have to play over that period of time

4 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

I was debating on chancing the "They" to a "McCann". McCann out of the lineup leaves even more responsibility on Horvat to perform offensively and we all know how that as worked out this year. I don't see Benning running out a lineup consisting of 2 4th line center,  1 3rd line center and a first line center. for almost a month. Especially with the teams we have to play over that period of time

My argument still stands. I don't think missing his 1 assist in the last 11 games will affect anyone.  Gaunce could easily replace him right now.  

Not even saying I want him to go. Just pointing out that we could send him easily if we wanted without missing a beat. 

Just now, Gooseberries said:

My argument still stands. I don't think missing his 1 assist in the last 11 games will affect anyone.  Gaunce could easily replace him right now.  

Not even saying I want him to go. Just pointing out that we could send him easily if we wanted without missing a beat. 

Gaunce isn't a center anymore. He hasn't been for the past 2 season.

3 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Friesen. Lot's of options.  What mccann is providing now isn't irreplaceable.  

Friesen had two goals today for the Comets including a shorthanded overtime winner.

He's a hard worker who has steadily improved over the years. I would be happy to see him get an opportunity. He has the potential to be a solid 3rd line checker. He plays bigger than his size.

On December 14, 2015 at 4:47 PM, R3aL said:

I don't think McCanns going, if Sutter was healthy it would be more of a discussion, McCann is playing well and developing I don't see why we would send him to WJ

Virtanen 100% makes sense though

we have one win in last ten games  mccann at moment would help team canada more than hed help us. Gives him a opportunity to dominate against best peers in the world with jake. World juniors are the best tournament in world where you have 2-3 yr chance to play in it  give mccann the once in a lifetime chance to get a gold medal also gives a ahl player chance to show what he has to give atnhl level. Regardless oilers and flames are almost passing us in points we are not making playoffs  sell the vets fir picks minus sedins tanev edler  the tank is real folks 

14 hours ago, canuktravella said:

we have one win in last ten games  mccann at moment would help team canada more than hed help us. Gives him a opportunity to dominate against best peers in the world with jake. World juniors are the best tournament in world where you have 2-3 yr chance to play in it  give mccann the once in a lifetime chance to get a gold medal also gives a ahl player chance to show what he has to give atnhl level. Regardless oilers and flames are almost passing us in points we are not making playoffs  sell the vets fir picks minus sedins tanev edler  the tank is real folks 

We shall see.. I dont think they will be lending him though. 

On 12/14/2015 at 9:04 AM, R3aL said:

We shall see.. I dont think they will be lending him though. 

Canner hasn't been playing very well. It's not a knock on him, it's more a product of the team and the fact we've been seeing him getting exposed for his physical immaturity more and more. At this point Friesen or Jones may even be upgrades on him. Certainly not downgrades.

13 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Canucks News Daily ‏@CanucksNow  5m5 minutes ago

Jake Virtanen is on Canada's 1st line with Brayden Point (WHL) & Brendan Perlini (OHL) at their practice in Finland. #Canucks

How about a first line with McCann

Send em over!!!

Lets go Canner!!!! :)

McCann in WJC colors baby!

this is funny: http://www.tsn.ca/video/lowry-everyone-s-excited-to-be-here~770824 switching back and forth between them Lol.

Lowry looks like he really wants McCann lol.  The way he's sucking up too Virt and the nux.  ^^  

Wouldn't be suprised if Virt was named captain at this point. Him or Hicketts.  you know you are in trouble when point is your top line center.  Hes talented i'll give him that but he is by no means a #1 center on a gold winning team.

Archived