The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Canada WJC - Virtanen update

NHL'er

1297783119161_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

Whether the Vancouver Canucks loan forward Jake Virtanen to the Canadian team for the world junior tournament could become known on Sunday.

“I expect to have some sort of decision (Sunday) night or Monday at the latest,” Hockey Canada vice-president of hockey operations Scott Salmond said.

“We have not had a ‘no.’ I’m not discouraged.”

As luck would have it, Virtanen is on a conditioning stint with the Utica Comets of the American Hockey League, and they’re in Toronto to face the Marlies on Sunday. Salmond is hopeful that he will be told by Canucks general manager Jim Benning that Virtanen will be joining the junior nats once that game is finished.

Salmond also continues to talk to Benning about the availability of forward Jared McCann, despite reports that suggest McCann won’t be coming.

And there hasn’t been a negative response from St. Louis Blues general manager Doug Armstrong regarding forward Robby Fabbri.

“I encourage those guys with younger players to not close the doors,” Salmond said. “I’m not in a rush. We have until the 19th (when the NHL rosters freeze for the holidays), so let’s keep talking. They have all been really supportive.

“I think at the end of the day they would like to loan their players, but they have a job to do and I appreciate that.”

Virtanen and Fabbri were part of Canada’s gold-medal team last winter, though Fabbri’s participation in the tournament ended early because of an ankle injury.

While Canada does not necessarily need any of the three to have success — the depth in the country certainly is not lacking — each would solidify Canada’s chances of repeating as champions.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/12/canada-hoping-for-good-news-on-virtanen

Looks like Salmon expects Benning to loan Virtanen after tomorrow's game against the Marlies. Also neither McCann or Fabbri have been officially ruled out yet. If of the three only Virtnanen joins, I reckon there is a good chance he wears either the C or at least an A ::D 

15 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

1297783119161_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/12/canada-hoping-for-good-news-on-virtanen

Looks like Salmon expects Benning to loan Virtanen after tomorrow's game against the Marlies. Also neither McCann or Fabbri have been officially ruled out yet. If of the three only Virtnanen joins, I reckon there is a good chance he wears either the C or at least an A ::D 

Hope they both go!!! Canner needs to go lite it up!!!

2 minutes ago, linden17 said:

am i the only one who would rather have virtanan play two weeks in utica with pros and further his development? im wouldnt hate to see him on canada but that part of me would be acting in greed. i honestly think the right thing to do is let him play in utica.

well, his conditioning stint ends on the 22nd, so he can still play for Team Canada.

2 minutes ago, Spoderman said:

well, his conditioning stint ends on the 22nd, so he can still play for Team Canada.

does it? i guess then id have to be on board. the only thing is would he be taking a step back if he builds some confidence with utica but then goes and competes in the world juniors? you can look at it a few ways i guess.

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Let both go, better for their development long-term.

Call up Gaunce and Shink/Kenins while they're gone. 

Yup, not only Virt and McCann gets some valuable, yet extra experience, Shink and Gaunce gets more playing time and GMJB can see where they're at.

Baer, Gaunce, Shink, Jensen, Kenins, Grenier all ready for some NHL action (if Gaunce gets healthy). Vey could hold center for a few games. 

Honestly would like to see McCann and Virt back with some confidence that WD seemed to coach out of many of the young players early in the season with his weird benchings and scratches.

I don't understand the urge to send McCann. He isn't lacking confidence, there's a spot for him open right now on the team, and he's literally in the midst of taking that proverbial Next Step in this league, the NHL. The WJs aren't some magical fountain of hockey wisdom, more of a chance for guy's who've looked a little overwhelmed by this league to re-spark their core game. Jared doesn't need that.

Jake, yeah, send him. Everything seems to be timing out perfectly for this anyways.

Virtanen needs to go to the juniors for sure but we still need McCann pretty badly right now with Sutter out. I suppose we could loan him and bring Vey up, give the guy another shot? He only really got a few pre-season games and has stunk up the AHL so far but who knows, he might light it up again in the NHL?

1 hour ago, thejazz97 said:

Linden Vey, temp 2nd line C?

In the tanker world it's perfect.  Increase the teams odds for a higher pick (because that's what the season is all about unless you're a bonafide 100% assured cup favourite)

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

bring Vey up, give the guy another shot? He only really got a few pre-season games and has stunk up the AHL so far but who knows, he might light it up again in the NHL?

Check how many of Shink's goals were set up by Vey ... almost all his PP markers

Archived