The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Canada WJC - Virtanen update

NHL'er

9 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Really? How would I know that he had 4 shifts in the third? How would I know that in those 4 shifts he had 1 shot where he was wide open and failed to convert.  He got hit pretty good. Had 2 ubforced turnovers.  Even bobby mac had him as the 11th forward after the game. 

Luck if he doesn't get cut. If he starts in the top 6 he definitely won't finish there if this play continues. 

So yeah I watched the game. He looked terrible Except his one shift where he split the day and crashed the net.

He had more than 4 shifts in the third. You failed to mention he had 2 interceptions, in the third . He won most of his board battles and he had a lot more than 1 scoring chance. I counted 2 in the first and 1-2 in the second. 

Are you really going to hate on him for not converting a chance? have you seen the Canucks play lately? during the course of the game Canada had multiple chances they didn't convert on, but you're going to single out Virtanen to prove a point?

Even in the third Ferraro said "Virtanen has had at least 3 chances today", thats a heck of a lot more than most of the team.

4 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

He had more than 4 shifts in the third. You failed to mention he had 2 interceptions, in the third . He won most of his board battles and he had a lot more than 1 scoring chance. I counted 2 in the first and 1-2 in the second. 

Are you really going to hate on him for not converting a chance? have you seen the Canucks play lately? during the course of the game Canada had multiple chances they didn't convert on, but you're going to single out Virtanen to prove a point?

Even in the third Ferraro said "Virtanen has had at least 3 chances today", thats a heck of a lot more than most of the team.

Point is i watched the game. I am entitled to my own opinion. He had a bad game and is looking like he has most of this season. Not very good.

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

Program for one don't determine whether any player becomes an NHL'er.    Konecny is a fail in my mind by Benning not taking him at 23.   Anyways, Brock Boeser and Travis Konecny will be head to head on December 26 , then you can be the judge.   It should be an advantage for Brock since he's playing with his line mate from his team (Scmauchts), as well as a team (on paper) that has better offence.  My moneys on Konecny to clearly outperform boeser. 

:picard:

I'm not even going to bother actually formulating a response. Just want a reaction. 

1 hour ago, Gooseberries said:

Point is i watched the game. I am entitled to my own opinion. He had a bad game and is looking like he has most of this season. Not very good.

So you only point the things he did wrong and leave out the things he does right? He had a good game against Belarus I didn't see you post anything good about him but I know what you're probably gonna say, "ITS AGAINST BELARUS".

Fact is you never say anything when he does something right, I've never seen you comment anything positive towards him (not saying you haven't).

in a interview a couple games ago Mc Cann told reporters that he decided to stay with the canucks and be in the nhl. I believe that the decision was already made for Mc Cann to stay. I don't really get how that would help Mc Cann at that level... Its a level below the nhl standards. So MC Cann goes and suddenly lights it up then comes back the nhl and doesn't, that could have a huge negative reaction for Mc Cann. 

10 minutes ago, SedinMadness said:

in a interview a couple games ago Mc Cann told reporters that he decided to stay with the canucks and be in the nhl. I believe that the decision was already made for Mc Cann to stay. I don't really get how that would help Mc Cann at that level... Its a level below the nhl standards. So MC Cann goes and suddenly lights it up then comes back the nhl and doesn't, that could have a huge negative reaction for Mc Cann. 

Not that it matters since he's not going, but I don't think the fans here are at the level where they believe that junior numbers = NHL numbers, based on one tournament.

The fans should just be happy that their team has selected talented forwards in recent drafts, and there will be plenty of entertainment to see in the coming years featuring these players.

41 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

So you only point the things he did wrong and leave out the things he does right? He had a good game against Belarus I didn't see you post anything good about him but I know what you're probably gonna say, "ITS AGAINST BELARUS".

Fact is you never say anything when he does something right, I've never seen you comment anything positive towards him (not saying you haven't).

Hard to comment on his play in that game when I didn't watch it. Most games I see him play, he is invisible.  I give him credit when credit is due. He doesn't do anything often enough where you would see compliments. I said earlier in today that he had a nice play splitting the D crashing the net. 

18 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Hard to comment on his play in that game when I didn't watch it. Most games I see him play, he is invisible.  I give him credit when credit is due. He doesn't do anything often enough where you would see compliments. I said earlier in today that he had a nice play splitting the D crashing the net. 

Fair enough.

21 minutes ago, BanTSN said:

Not that it matters since he's not going, but I don't think the fans here are at the level where they believe that junior numbers = NHL numbers, based on one tournament.

The fans should just be happy that their team has selected talented forwards in recent drafts, and there will be plenty of entertainment to see in the coming years featuring these players.

true!

He was one of the last people loaned out, has played a fourth line role in the NHL, and was recovering from an injury. I'm not saying Virt was a star today, but he had an OK game. 

I don't know if its just me but Barzal wasn't really pleasing to watch outside of that one powerplay in the third. He stayed out 30 seconds after his linemates had changed and I felt kinda annoyed. I like Konecky but really wasn't a great game for any other Canadian forward. Defense and goaltending were good tho

3 hours ago, 87Crosby said:

He was one of the last people loaned out, has played a fourth line role in the NHL, and was recovering from an injury. I'm not saying Virt was a star today, but he had an OK game. 

I don't know if its just me but Barzal wasn't really pleasing to watch outside of that one powerplay in the third. He stayed out 30 seconds after his linemates had changed and I felt kinda annoyed. I like Konecky but really wasn't a great game for any other Canadian forward. Defense and goaltending were good tho

The player that did not impress me one bit was Crouse. Idk man JV gets all the hate but this guy right here has been doing nothing outside of penalty killing, IMO he's worse at creating offence than Virtanen.

5 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

The player that did not impress me one bit was Crouse. Idk man JV gets all the hate but this guy right here has been doing nothing outside of penalty killing, IMO he's worse at creating offence than Virtanen.

Same. This years team is going to be a gritty bunch. 

17 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

Program for one don't determine whether any player becomes an NHL'er.    Konecny is a fail in my mind by Benning not taking him at 23.   Anyways, Brock Boeser and Travis Konecny will be head to head on December 26 , then you can be the judge.   It should be an advantage for Brock since he's playing with his line mate from his team (Scmauchts), as well as a team (on paper) that has better offence.  My moneys on Konecny to clearly outperform boeser.   I hope konecny levels him

Boeser is a great pick at 24and is a pure sniper we have needed for years. My money is on Boeser.

The thing about forming an very early, very strong opinion about a player is that there is a tendency to watch every game hoping that what you see confirms what you posted on CDC. Every single junior player make tons of mistakes, and the mistakes will be magnified in a tournament like there where there is so much emotion involved. It happens every year. So, it will be very easy to watch games and point to evidence that you're criticism of a player was right all along. 

Take Leon Draisaitl as an example. If you watch him every shift, he looks slow, not always strong on the puck, doesn't seem to do much. However, after his 20+ shifts, he'll have two points. Some players don't excel every shift, but they find a way to make a difference every night. That is what we should care most about.

3 hours ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

ie.  Some players get to pass the puck to Taylor Hall instead of Derek Dorsett.

That's a really good point.  Horvat and McCann are responsible for driving the offence for their wingers.  I am really pleased with two, especially with their added minutes while Henrik is out.  

5 minutes ago, RogerNeilsonsTowel said:

This is a very good point. Some people have been really critical of Virtanen, but he hasn't had many opportunities to play with skilled players.

Lol was waiting for that excuse.  McCann and horvat had no issues passing to Derek dorsett this year and last. Maybe if virtanen used him more he would still be in the lineup.  

2 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Lol was waiting for that excuse.  McCann and horvat had no issues passing to Derek dorsett this year and last. Maybe if virtanen used him more he would still be in the lineup.  

Valid. But I honestly don't think the best way to develop a young player is to pair them with 4th liners. If you really want to see what you've got you should see what they do when paired with some talent.

Archived