The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks 2016-2017 line-up without major RFA or UFA signings

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter (We know what the Sedins can do. Sutter takes faceoofs and provides a forchecking, scoring, two way, versitile presence to the Sedins)

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen (Hansen plays with Horvat again, providing the defense Vrbata couldn't. Horvat and Bartschi continue to develop Chemistry.)

Etem - Granlund - Virtanen (This is a third line with actual speed, grit, and forchecking ability. Hard to play against. Granlund alo provides the playmaking ability.)

Burrows - McCann - Dorsett (Pretty good fourth line. McCann and Burrows should be able to provide offense deep in the lineup, and they should be solid defensively. McCann gets moved up when injuries occur.

(Gaunce, Higgins)

(Gaunce's vesitility allows him to slot in with the first injury anywhere in the bottom 6. And as we've seen, that usually coms pretty quick. Like within 10 games of the season quick. I put Higgins as scratch becomes the job is no longer his to lose, but rather his to fight and earn back. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. Nothing is given, you have to earn your spot, even if youre a vet getting paid more.) 

Edler - Tanev (Not the best top 2, but they're all we got. Hopefully some pressure can be taken off so they can play better)

Hamhuis - Larsen (I actually like this lines potential. Larson has some offensive potential, while Hamhuis plays stay at home)

Hutton - Sbisa (Hutton still gets 2nd PP time, and hones his defensive skills further. Not a bad bottom pairing)

(Bartkowski, Pedan, and Biega fight for last spot.)

Another note on why I like the Philip Larsen trade. Look at the free agent list this summer for defensmen. To name a top few

• Keith Yandle (will probably resgin with New York or a contender)
  • Brian Campbell (no thank you. Defense has deteriorated.)
  • Alex Goligoski (Great player. Likely to resgin in Dallas)
  • Dan Boyle (Most likely will retire)
  • Willie Mitchell (not exactly a top defenseman)
  • Nikita Nikitin (eh? unlikely to sign still)
  • Luke Schenn (Maybe he still has some potential, but may resign with the Kings)
  • John-Michael Liles (old with deteriated defence)

And these are the top ones. There are no good defensive free agents this summer. And definitely not many good ones that are likely to sign here. Benning looked ahead, saw this situation, and kind of secured a free agent to sign. I know by no means will Larson sign with us for sure, but at least now we have a guy who is much more likely to sign with us, to help us on our blueline. He's only 26 too and has been playing very well in Russia. I think this is a case of Benning seeing solid talent, that probably developed over the last couple of seasons, and now we will likely sign him through his prime like we did Sutter. His numbers just over the past 2 seasons in Russia were good the first year, and much improved the second year. I think Larsen is going to be seen as a good signing after he gets some games in. 

I know the title says no major UFA / RFA signings, but there will be, so to speculate:

Sedin - Sedin - UFA [Lucic / Okposo]

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Etem - Sutter - Hansen

Burrows - Granlund - Dorsett

Gaunce

Hutton - Tanev

Edler - Larsen

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Pedan - Tryamkin

Miller

Markstrom

Buried - Biega [Depth]; Higgins

Changes:

1. Sign Lucic or Okposo [or other Power Forward available]

2. Re-Sign Hamhuis

On 10 January, 2016 at 0:26 PM, WHL rocks said:

Aqua has spent more than the cap allows via the use of front loaded contracts for years now. Revenue is down and rink has lots of empty seats. 

I don't' see this team going after a big ticket item right this summer. IMO there's a good chance Benning doesn't get approval to spend to the cap max limit next year. They may stay 4 or 5 mill below cap max.

what in gods name are you talking about - stamkos would rejuvenate the seasons ticket holder numbers and entire fan base. I don't think he is worth it but if I was gm or owner, I would offer him league max.

4 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

sedin sedin Virtanen

Beartschi Stamkos Sutter

Etem Horvat Hansen

Mccann Granlund Dorsette

vey

gaunce

borrows - needs to be moved, too much cap

Lol @ Stamkos on the 2nd line. If he comes here it's to play with the Sedins. You also read the title wrong. 

Posted in McCann Thread...

Forward "Pairings"

Hank    with Danny     

Horvat  with Sven

McCann  with Sutter     (help out McCann till face offs improve)

Granlund or Vey    with Etem

roll......  Virtanen, Hansen, UFA RW  and Gaunce  with each fwd  pairing depending on opponent/match up.

Think Burrows may be on his way out...but could make a good LW w/McCann Sutter.

Would love to see something done with Dorsett...complete waste of 2.5 million. 

If I were coaching today with no injuries..

Hank      Danny    Hansen

Sven       Horvat    Virtanen 

Burrows  McCann   Sutter

Etem       Granlund    Vey/Dorsett

Hope fully we get as young as possible

Sedins-Rodin/Hansen

Baertchi-Horvat-Virtanen

McCann-Sutter-Rodin

Gaunce-Vey-Etem

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Sbisa(we have no RHD)

Pedan-Tryamkin(maybe we should sign a top4 RHD but if not, i think the russian bear can go in there.)

Markstrom

Miller

AHL Demko start - Will backup or even start if he can when Millers contract expires (17-18)

Training camp will decide everything. This is how I see it:

Forwards (locks):

D. Sedin.

H. Sedin

Hansen

Horvat

Baertschi

Sutter

Dorsett

Virtanen

(UFA)

Pushing for a spot:

Granlund

Vey

Etem

McCann

Gaunce

Burrows (possible buyout?)

To a lesser extent - Kenins, Grenier, Zalewski.

Then on defense,

Locks:

Hutton

Tanev

Edler

Sbisa

Questionable:

Hamhuis (UFA)

Biega

Tryamkin

Pedan (waiver eligible)

So:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

(Top6UFA) - Sutter - ?

? - ? - Dorsett

?

(Granlund, Etem, Vey, McCann, Gaunce)

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Sbisa

? - ?

?

(Hamhuis, Tryamkin, Pedan, Biega)

Should make for an interesting training camp. JB has shown in the past he's not afraid to waive guys, regardless of youth, or one way contracts. This team will be more competitive because of it.

Taking that line up....

5 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Sedin - Sedin - Rodin

(Lucic) - Sutter - Hansen

Etem- Granlund - Dorsett

Grenier

(Burrows & Vey = Traded)

(McCann & Gaunce = AHL)

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Sbisa

Tryamkin - Larsen

Pedan, Biega

(Hamhuis = signs with NYR....Yandle signs in FLA)

On 1/9/2016 at 0:26 PM, WHL rocks said:

Aqua has spent more than the cap allows via the use of front loaded contracts for years now. Revenue is down and rink has lots of empty seats. 

I don't' see this team going after a big ticket item right this summer. IMO there's a good chance Benning doesn't get approval to spend to the cap max limit next year. They may stay 4 or 5 mill below cap max.

I highly doubt that.  If salaries are down, the strong will take advantage of it.

On 3/5/2016 at 9:14 PM, Canucks Curse said:

what in gods name are you talking about - stamkos would rejuvenate the seasons ticket holder numbers and entire fan base. I don't think he is worth it but if I was gm or owner, I would offer him league max.

Thats right. And only Stamkos.

Not Lucic or Okposo or any other fa would sell tickets

On 3/5/2016 at 9:15 PM, Canucks Curse said:

sedin sedin Virtanen

Beartschi Stamkos Sutter

Etem Horvat Hansen

Mccann Granlund Dorsette

vey

gaunce

borrows - needs to be moved, too much cap

kk stamkos is not a second line player ... lol are you for real...

2 minutes ago, SedinMadness said:

kk stamkos is not a second line player ... lol are you for real...

Just because he is on the 2nd doesn't make him a any less of a player. 

Is zetterberg a second line player?

Malkin?

Kane?

They've all spent significant time on the second in the last 2 years. It's about spreading out your scoring.

On 02/03/2016 at 2:03 PM, joecarp12 said:

I Think its time we start looking ahead to what it will realistically be next year. I hope, just like the rest of us we get a top pick that can play next year, but just being realistic that we will draft 7-11. If we draft in that range, hopefully we take Juolevi/Sergachyov, but I have a weird feeling Mcleod is Bennings guy. This isnt the lineup i want, but what I assume realistically it will be based on the management

Sedin-Sedin-Erikson

Baertschi-Suter-Hansen

Burrows-Horvat-Virtanen

Etem-Granlund-Dorsett

Gaunce,Vey

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Hammer

Signing/trade-Sbisa

Biega/Pedan/Larsen

Mark

Miller

I Have a feeling they will bring Vey back, send McCann to AHL. IS he eligible?

. It's better to move a guy like Hansen, and Edler and get prospects. You might not see the benefit of getting a 20 range prospect, but just look at what Dano did to us last night. Teams will pay for a guy like Edler and Hansen, we shouldn't let this opportunity pass

On 3/15/2016 at 2:26 PM, Gooseberries said:

Just because he is on the 2nd doesn't make him a any less of a player. 

Is zetterberg a second line player?

Malkin?

Kane?

They've all spent significant time on the second in the last 2 years. It's about spreading out your scoring.

ya no. i want stamkos with the twins... our second line is just fine.... you need someone to spark the twins. so ya i get the idea where your coming and no i disagree with you. when sundin came here who did he play with. when you think guys like malkin is on the second line then look at their line mates.....hence why vrbata wanted to play with the twins...it doesn't always work to put your top player on the second line to spread out there scoring lol just look at vrbata see where that went... 

Archived