The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No suspension

Ourgodluongo

23 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The hit was unfortunate but I don't think there was an intent to injure. Maybe he could have gotten a game but imo the game misconduct was sufficient. If Hansen had hit Johnny T with the same hit we would be saying the same thing.

Since when does "intent" factor in?  You  could say that no player ever "intends" to injure but it doesn't mean their actions didn't lead to an injury.  This is part of the problem with the DOPS, they make up the rules on a hit by hit basis and no-one really knows what is suspendable and what isn't. 

Hank was in a vulnerable position close to the boards.  Grabs chose to push him into the boards (boarding) from behind looking square in the numbers.  Extremely irresponsible and dangerous.  Supposedly, the league wants this kind of play out of the league yet, by not acting firmly, the actually promote it.  Teams will take every chance they can get to remove an opponent's top players from the equation.

The NHL is a bush-league managed affair and has been since the Bettman era of growth and profit took over.  It's not that the Sedins are necessarily singled out but that in a strong market like Vancouver, the league just doesn't care.  If a top player in a  fringe/struggling market or any of the original 6 were affected, the league would send its PR message with strict discipline.

I watch the NHL because I am a life-long hockey fan and I care about the sport but honestly, the way it is managed and the product on the ice compared to the 70's entertainment is crap. League parity because of the loser point system and the insistence that the league be present in markets that don't' support the sport just so the ownership can collect expansion fees etc. is destroying the sport.

//rant

It is another example of how the league handle this things.  Like I said before, sooner or later, fans, players, and ownership will revolt against the league.  People are not that stupid.   If you continue to treat people like lapdog, saying there's no suspension for this type of hit but the same type of hit in other games resulted in suspension, there's inconsistent.  I personally feel that former playesr should not run DoPS or making decision on who is suspended or not becuase it is obviously that they have some type of bias toward a certain teams when they were a player in the league with love/hate relationship against a few teams in the league.   It should be handled by an independent body where neither the league or the player association have any say in it with no relationship with the league.

28 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Benning was just on team 1040 and said there isn't a decision yet on the sedin hit as he spoke to them this morning and they said they would get back to him this afternoon.    so ya or nay isn't confirmed yet.

Thanks for the info!

Still, I'll be shocked if he does get suspended. We've seen worse hits get no supplemental discipline. If an elbow to the face didn't draw their attention this one isn't going to either, especially after he got a major & game.

Jaded as it is, I'd honestly be less surprised by them rescinding the game misconduct than giving him a suspension.

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

Bush league.  This is why this league will never be like the NFL.  

In the NHL a penalty depends on - what period it is, who had the last few penalties, who is involved in the infraction, is it playoffs or not..etc...and their suspensions are sometimes based on the outcome, sometimes on the intent, sometimes on who is involved.

Its like a bloody Ouija board.

This right here captures in essence where all the frustration comes from.

Tbh this was the last inch of respect I had for the NHLs department of player safety. 

If the call deserved a five and a major and the hit actually warranted that in the first place shouldn't there be additional message send that such type of hit is not tolerated.

just wow

52 minutes ago, bd71 said:

No league should ever aspire to have officiating like the NFL! That is probably the first time I've ever heard anyone think NFL officiating was something to copy. 

While its not perfect I think its better than the NHL.  When I say better I mean better in the sense that it is a little more consistent. NHL is a league where the context of the game and who is involved weighs heavily in the decision whether to call a penalty or not - I just dont see the same crap in the NFL.  Penalty is the same penalty whether its in the first minute or the last minute and it doesnt matter who is winning or losing or if it is in the post season.

Why are we spending so much time talking about this and so little on the fact we not only couldn't capitalise on the major penalty (no surprise there) but helped even it up by taking another stupid penalty ourselves.

We need to leave discipline up to those in charge and concentrate on being more ruthless. We made a total mess of 3 "man in on goalie one on one" chances and but for Miller standing on his head we might have lost because of it.

While I'm at it, we need to stop surrendering the puck with "cross-eyed" giveaways, poorly crafted dumps, stupid/lazy icings and hellishly misguided and over and under weighted outlet passes.

I've lost count on the number of times we dumped the puck when the player in possession could have taken it on, allowing a much more aggressive and effective change. It's bad enough we seem to find new ways to surrender the puck but the fact we normally lose the face-off is killing us. We are probably wasting 10% more energy than the opposition just because of poor puck management.

Lets concentrate on our own failings and stop moaning at every opportunity. It's pathetic.

Just now, chilliwiggins said:

doesn't the game misconduct only apply to the game in which he was playing in?

Yes, it does.

But, a game misconduct also includes a tiny fine ($200 currently) and teams are able to request that the NHL rescind the game misconduct.

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Why are we spending so much time talking about this and so little on the fact we not only couldn't capitalise on the major penalty (no surprise there) but helped even it up by taking another stupid penalty ourselves.

We need to leave discipline up to those in charge and concentrate on being more ruthless. We made a total mess of 3 "man in on goalie one on one" chances and but for Miller standing on his head we might have lost because of it.

While I'm at it, we need to stop surrendering the puck with "cross-eyed" giveaways, poorly crafted dumps, stupid/lazy icings and hellishly misguided and over and under weighted outlet passes.

I've lost count on the number of times we dumped the puck when the player in possession could have taken it on, allowing a much more aggressive and effective change. It's bad enough we seem to find new ways to surrender the puck but the fact we normally lose the face-off is killing us. We are probably wasting 10% more energy than the opposition just because of poor puck management.

Lets concentrate on our own failings and stop moaning at every opportunity. It's pathetic.

You're using something completely different to backup your argument and failing quite miserably. 

The discussion isn't about our play (which I agree needs to be worked on a lot more) but rather the dumbfounded inconsistency of the league in dealing with these types of dangerous hits. 

If it's a suspension one time why isn't it the next.

its not moaning its facing reality. So stop with your lacklustre effort to diminish the issue at hand.

11 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

While its not perfect I think its better than the NHL.  When I say better I mean better in the sense that it is a little more consistent. NHL is a league where the context of the game and who is involved weighs heavily in the decision whether to call a penalty or not - I just dont see the same crap in the NFL.  Penalty is the same penalty whether its in the first minute or the last minute and it doesnt matter who is winning or losing or if it is in the post season.

Ask Packers fans about that after Saturday. Or any team really. Bengals fans against the Steelers. It gets way more intense in the NFL. Officials have way more sway in the outcome of a game. While we may not like the NHL's officiating, it's rare that specific calls decide the outcome of the game. In the NFL big games are often decided by calls or no calls. 

You can't tell me pass interference is consistent at any point from game to game and even in the same game. Holding etc. 

I'm not arguing that NHL officiating is good, I just think that desiring NFL standards is funny because it's horrific. 

11 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I'm sure there's plenty of discussion regarding the points you suggest deserve more attention - in the PGT, where they belong. This thread is for discussion of suspension/no suspension, no? *looks up at thread title*

And further (and on topic), 'We need to leave discipline up to those in charge'. We shouldn't be talking about the ineptness of the DoPS to follow through and put their money where their mouth is regarding their 'supposed' concerns for player safety???? We should just lay down and accept their failure to do their job? Wait until a player loses their life on the ice or is paralyzed for life or is injured and loses their career before we all jump up and down and demand change? Or at the very least, demand that they do the job that they were appointed to do?  The DoPS is a disgrace and great change is needed. If only they followed their own mandate and followed through with what their lips are flapping about. Imagine that?

16 minutes ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

You're using something completely different to backup your argument and failing quite miserably. 

The discussion isn't about our play (which I agree needs to be worked on a lot more) but rather the dumbfounded inconsistency of the league in dealing with these types of dangerous hits. 

If it's a suspension one time why isn't it the next.

its not moaning its facing reality. So stop with your lacklustre effort to diminish the issue at hand.

The "issue" is a non issue. The hit was marginal imo and was worse because Henrik was half turned. That does not make it a suspension hit in anyones book. How could it have been in the numbers when Henrik is seen plainly holding his side?

Of course you get people moaning on here that if it had been some other star that had been hit there would have been a suspension well maybe these people would like to back it up with evidence.

Our fans are the biggest conspiracy theorists and moaners in the league.

7 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

The "issue" is a non issue. The hit was marginal imo and was worse because Henrik was half turned. That does not make it a suspension hit in anyones book. How could it have been in the numbers when Henrik is seen plainly holding his side?

Of course you get people moaning on here that if it had been some other star that had been hit there would have been a suspension well maybe these people would like to back it up with evidence.

Our fans are the biggest conspiracy theorist and moaners in the league.

I'm so sick of this statement.  Fans are the same everywhere, I travel all over and I hear the exact same complaints in Calgary, Edmonton Winnipeg, Toronto and Montreal....literally the exact same complaints.  Fans of sports teams are conspiracy theorists, Van fan is no different.

15 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Our fans are the biggest conspiracy theorist and moaners in the league.

Oh really? This looks pretty much "right in the numbers" to most folks.

11bhlr4.jpg

43 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

can't find the tweet on his page anymore, but Damien Cox said this:

"The Team that employed Todd Bertuzzi outraged by player taking a dirty hit from behind. Right. Gotcha"

Need he be reminded of a certain angry little midget by the name of Tie Domi?

said the same thing last week with the florida incident. Saying team that employeed burrows mad about stuff said" hope roger kicks him out

43 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

can't find the tweet on his page anymore, but Damien Cox said this:

"The Team that employed Todd Bertuzzi outraged by player taking a dirty hit from behind. Right. Gotcha"

Need he be reminded of a certain angry little midget by the name of Tie Domi?

That was a photo-shop tweet, never in Cox's twitter. It's in today's provies.

4 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I'm so sick of this statement.  Fans are the same everywhere, I travel all over and I hear the exact same complaints in Calgary, Edmonton Winnipeg, Toronto and Montreal....literally the exact same complaints.  Fans of sports teams are conspiracy theorists, Van fan is no different.

I suppose they all riot too. I actually don't believe we are the same as other fans, I believe we have a dark core of malcontents who constantly whine and moan about how badly treated this club are when in fact they have absolutely no proof. 

I don't know if it's the affluence or just the self entitled arrogance that pervades our fans but is certainly not the same in every club to the same extent.

Archived