The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Sign Zalewski

Just saw this on twitter; good to see considering by many Utica accounts he's having a fantastic all-around season with the Comets. Guessing this is mainly to protect his rights for the remainder of the season and then they'll sign him to a proper extension in the summer. Also could be a solid call-up candidate if there are injuries down the stretch or we move players at the deadline.

Michael Zalewski has signed 1-year deal w #Canucks 1 yr @ $575,000 (prorated) $70,000 AHL salary $125,000 guaranteed http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1913 

8 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I bet there were some NHL teams circling him based on his performance this season with Utica. Smart move by the Canucks to lock him up. I think this means they get RFA rights to him again based on his age? Or am I mistaken on that?

He still qualifies for RFA status so yeah, smart move on their part to not only lock him up but protect him from signing with another team in the summer. Good asset management.

Decent size at 6'2 and 205lbs.  Admittedly, I haven't seen him play, but judging from his offensive performance, it does seem someone as a bottom-6, although did show some offensive flashes in junior and in college.
His PIM is also pretty low.

I'm assuming he's just a very reliable winger, who doesn't take a lot of penalties and will chip in a bit here and there?  How quick of a skater is he?

Interesting.  They are clearly liking what they see from him.  He's producing this year and produced a reasonable amount in college.

He would be an interesting addition to the bottom 6.  Based on usage, I could see him surpassing Kenins quickly.  

Not sure how the forward grouping is going to clear out next season for management to move up Shinkaruk or Gaunce.  If both of them are still waiver exempt next season I guess it's more flexible but they look like they may be poised to make the jump next year.

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Decent size at 6'2 and 205lbs.  Admittedly, I haven't seen him play, but judging from his offensive performance, it does seem someone as a bottom-6, although did show some offensive flashes in junior and in college.
His PIM is also pretty low.

I'm assuming he's just a very reliable winger, who doesn't take a lot of penalties and will chip in a bit here and there?  How quick of a skater is he?

Not quick. His skating has room for improvement. He has adequate acceration and speed but probably slightly below average for the NHL. It's not a glaring concern but it might be what limits his ceiling.

As for an overall scouting report:

His offensive skills are decent. OK shot, not great, but OK.

Good puck skills. Handles well in traffic. Accurate passer.

Can lead the rush and carry zone to zone. Decent fakes and dekes. Can stick-handle through the opposition.

Doesn't have great dangles however, but more creative moves than generally given credit for.

Hard worker. Solid in his own end. Dogged on the puck. Strong forecheck. Could stand to be a bit more physical and maybe have a meaner edge to his game.

But overall he's a decent enough player. His game has really progressed this season under Green. Definitely a pro now. He's really elevated himself and is now regularly rated as one of the Comets' best players.

Definitely looking like a guy with NHL potential as a hard working 3/4 liner who can play well alongside both skill guys and grinders. And someone the coach can trust in three zones and all situations.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

One of Utica's hardest workers, if not the hardest.

Could have a Burrows like route to the NHL.

After a solid AHL season that he's having, he's going to go and play a couple of seasons in the ECHL and contemplate hanging them up before taking one more shot at making back to the AHL enroute to the NHL?  The road for Zalewski isn't likely going to take him through the ECHL anytime soon. 

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not quick. His skating has room for improvement. He has adequate acceration and speed but probably slightly below average for the NHL. It's not a glaring concern but it might be what limits his ceiling.

As for an overall scouting report:

His offensive skills are decent. OK shot, not great, but OK.

Good puck skills. Handles well in traffic. Accurate passer.

Can lead the rush and carry zone to zone. Decent fakes and dekes. Can stick-handle through the opposition.

Doesn't have great dangles however, but more creative moves than generally given credit for.

Hard worker. Solid in his own end. Dogged on the puck. Strong forecheck. Could stand to be a bit more physical and maybe have a meaner edge to his game.

But overall he's a decent enough player. His game has really progressed this season under Green. Definitely a pro now. He's really elevated himself and is now regularly rated as one of the Comets' best players.

Definitely looking like a guy with, NHL potential as a hard working 3/4 liner who can play well alongside both skill guys and grinders. And someone the coach can trust in three zones and all situations.

Nice scouting report...I hope Zalewski asserts himself in camp next season.  You can never have enough big-bodied, decently skilled and coachable players in the organization.

1 minute ago, HK Phooey said:

After a solid AHL season that he's having, he's going to go and play a couple of seasons in the ECHL and contemplate hanging them up before taking one more shot at making back to the AHL enroute to the NHL?  The road for Zalewski isn't likely going to take him through the ECHL anytime soon. 

Undrafted player that doesn't make the NHL until 25 after working his butt off in the AHL.

The connection I made was pretty obvious.

Archived