The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Sekeres said there will be a coaching change at years end.

MaxVerstappen33

Anyone remember Jim Carrey's impression of the most annoying sound in the world? He obviously never herd Matt Sekeras speak. I'd rather listen to Gilbert Godfreed talk about how fast paint dries 

And what's with Dave fatt... i mean pratt man. speaking of paint, i think he may have issues driking it. The only guys I enjoy listening to are Taylor and his boys. Even Taylor thinks Pratt is an moron for _ sakes. If good old Dave had his way the canucks would have Doyle Brunsen as their strength conditioning coach. The man put the I in idiot

36 minutes ago, Me16 said:

Do you actually listen to 1040? This is exactly like Matt Sekeres. He's a weasel 

By the way Matt, after you remove all those knives  you stuck in everyones backs, try taking that close pin off your nose. It will make things so much better for the listener 

I always thought that nasal delivery was from being punched in the nose so many times for being irritating.

10 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I always thought that nasal delivery was from being punched in the nose so many times for being irritating.

I'm not even joking that it as a very good possibility. As you can see from his photo though, His nose doesn't seem to look flat. Weird.

Nice hat by the way Matt ;)

5331.gif 

Sekeres started this claptrap when he said that Benning and Willie weren't in alignment months ago (ie. working at cross purposes, different goals, agenda's and generally paddling the canoe in different directions).  Well, a GM naturally has a long term view while a Coach takes a short term view.  It doesn't mean they're not on the same page.

Now he calls for the firing of Willie over his alleged mishandling of Prust.  We have no real information, it's all circumstantial.  For all we know, it was Bennings call. 

Willie is good at some things and looks so so at others.  His in game / line management has been criticised.  He seems to have the wrong players out in certain situations.  But let's look at why Benning chose Willie in the first place.  This is a team in transition and he wanted a coach for this period.  He did a great job with Horvat in his rookie year and it's tough to argue with how Baertschi, Hutton, McCann and Virtanen have come along this year.  That's a lot of young players.  Even Vey is starting to look better.  And the teams record is just fine especially considering the injury issues that they've gone through in both years under Willie.

If you keep repeating editorial comments and blind speculations, after a while people begin to believe that they're true. 

What get's me most about Sekeres and his side kick Price is that they suffer from the sincere belief that they're smarter than the rest of us.  This is always a dangerous combination.

Guy Boucher is a horrible coach. He was fired this year from SC Bern (the team that has the biggest budget from the Swiss league and is expected to play the first place every year). So, for those who want him, just no way he comes here, Linden an Benning aren't stupid.

Willie will stay I think, he still has to learn things for sure, but he is a good coach I think.

In all fairness to the coach with all the injuries and line juggling it can't be easy but having said that I haven't been happy at all with his player lineup choices and the division of ice time.

To me the team also doesn't seem to ever have any direction and WD looks like a loose cannon  on the bench and not in control.

Seeing the tv shot of AV and WD side by side  tonight sure made me wish we had AV again I'm sure he gets the respect of his players loved him as our coach.

4 hours ago, jdatb said:

Firing WD would be a massive mistake. If not for him (and the Sedins) we'd be dead last, by a lot. He's the perfect coach for our young prospects.

Not sure we would be dead last without WD, but I agree that he is a good developmental coach. At least he the rep of being one of the best developmental coaches in hockey, and he has been very successful at developing young players (and at winning) at all levels other than the NHL.

And, as for the NHL, the Canucks did better than expected last year and are doing better than expected this year. And I think the young players are doing well. Even though the Canucks have not a lot of high draft picks in the last 4 or 5 years, the performance of their young talent is surprisingly good. As a group, Hutton, Horvat, McCann, Baertschi, Etem, Virtanen and, yes, Linden Vey are pretty good and all have improved a lot since the beginning of the season.

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

He's been in Canucks system and knows all the kids and their game. He's on the same page as mgmt in that department and that's huge for a rebuilding team. 

Green's the best choice imo, and if it doesn't happen in the summer it'll happen at some point next season if this team struggles. Most likely it's done in the summer though.

I also like Green and I suspect he is in the succession plan. Willie was signed to a 4-year deal which means he has two years to go after this year. With Canadian dollar having fallen and the Canucks ticket sales not being great, I don't think Aquillini will be looking to buy out another coach. Especially not one is, by any reasonable standard, has met expectations. I think the finishes his contract -- or at least get through 3 years -- and then Green takes over.

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don't think he deserves to get canned based on his performance this season.

But I also wouldn't be against promoting Green or bringing in a big name coach if one is available.

I would be against promoting Green, unless it was promote him or lose him. Let WD deal with the growing pains of a team in transition.

I'd hate to lose a critical part of our youth development on a desperation attempt to salvage a fundamentally flawed NHL roster.

1 minute ago, xereau said:

They should bring Greene in to assistant, and get rid of whoever is charge of that god awful power play.

If he's down for that then sure.

Some coaches would rather be a head coach in the AHL than an assistant in the NHL though.

Considering Willie hasn't been given any horses to work with, I think he's done an admirable job.  Torts arguably had a more talented Canucks team and that was a disaster.  Years 3 through 5 for Willie will be a better measuring stick of the coaches performance.  Can't expect the same out of this team as the AV coached Canucks teams of the past.  So long as their is progression of our young players I'm happy.  The Oilers were trending upwards with Kreuger and they canned him and then look what happened.   

WD puts tons of faith and trust into his 3rd and 4th lines. He rolls all 4 lines. Young or old is not really a consideration.

What that means is, if the 3rd and 4th lines deliver, it makes him look like a genius. The whole team stays fresh. It's also good for you as a player if you are on those 3rd and 4th lines and you think you can contribute more.

Torts put little or no faith in the 3rd and 4th lines and constantly rode his star players night after night. Which is good if you want to win that game. But not so good over 82 games.

I suppose the middling strategy is to roll all 4 lines against a weaker team and then go to a short bench against the top teams.

8 hours ago, slickjim23 said:

He is terrible so it's not surprising if he is fired.

And you haven't a clue and happy to broadcast it.

There is no way the Canucks get rid of Willie, we are sitting in 2nd place in the division despite a nightmare of injuries and accommodating far too many rookies into an ageing team all at once.

He should get ------- rise in his salary not fired.

56 minutes ago, jmahyoung said:

WD puts tons of faith and trust into his 3rd and 4th lines. He rolls all 4 lines. Young or old is not really a consideration.

What that means is, if the 3rd and 4th lines deliver, it makes him look like a genius. The whole team stays fresh. It's also good for you as a player if you are on those 3rd and 4th lines and you think you can contribute more.

Torts put little or no faith in the 3rd and 4th lines and constantly rode his star players night after night. Which is good if you want to win that game. But not so good over 82 games.

I suppose the middling strategy is to roll all 4 lines against a weaker team and then go to a short bench against the top teams.

3 hours ago, The Big Luongo said:

In all fairness to the coach with all the injuries and line juggling it can't be easy but having said that I haven't been happy at all with his player lineup choices and the division of ice time.

To me the team also doesn't seem to ever have any direction and WD looks like a loose cannon  on the bench and not in control.

Seeing the tv shot of AV and WD side by side  tonight sure made me wish we had AV again I'm sure he gets the respect of his players loved him as our coach.

Remind me again how long AV has been in the NHL?

Different coaches have different styles. Willie to me is a "father figure" He reacts behind the bench like a father watching "his boys" playing, he is invested, in the moment and that to me is one of the things that will make him a great coach for this club and especially these youngsters.

It is also why (if the rumour is true about Prust's reaction) Jake will have been able to take the disappointment from Willie far better than if say AV or Torts when WD told him he was not playing. (and I was a great fan of AV)

Willie is imo almost too honest for his own good but he is not naive e.g. when the pernicious Vancouver media try to goad him into saying something controversial with their crass leading questions he always seems to see it coming and deflects them.

He has high standards involving hard work, compete, dedication and reward. If our Club finds it possible to fire a guy like that, who as far as I can see has constantly surpassed expectations, then we are doomed never to win a SC imo.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Didn't WD state publicly, on more than one occasion, that he lets Ryan Miller decide if he's playing goal or not?  I especially heard WD last season talking about how he let Miller decide.  So yes, WD does give into veteran pressure, because the players, WD and management know WD is a temporary coach who was a cheap option.  They were still paying Torts!  They went cheap on WD.  IMHAO, of course:rolleyes:

not a very accurate recollection of the hiring of willie in my view

the canucks competed for willie's services with pittsburgh and the canucks won out

this was not a cheap hire or cheap option as you state

it was not a hire of a temporary coach

he was the preferred hire of the new management team, linden and benning, and a serious hire by them

you are entitled to your view of how he has performed as coach

but do not revise history so as to distort the hiring of willie so as diminish his entire tenure here

i think you also do not understand the consultation that takes place with a #1 goalie

the #1 has a say in his starts and his preferences are often accommodated

this is not junior hockey where the coach dictates what happens on the team

i'd bet some sort of similar consultation happens between the coach and captain on game issues as well

Archived