The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] A Little More On The Future Of Prust.

Boddy604

4 hours ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

I can't say I've been disappointed in his play, because he's performed just as I had expected.  I'm not sure what NYR or MTL ever saw in him, but if he's a player who apparently shines in those markets then I think he's heading back there at free agency, regardless of what the Canucks think about him.

The question is if Prust has any trade value whatsoever this deadline.  If so, then that's an automatic adios in my view.

Agreed, never a game changer in any area of hockey. Dorsett is as he is always on tilt.

12 hours ago, Realtor Rod said:

Agreed, never a game changer in any area of hockey. Dorsett is as he is always on tilt.

I'm not fully on board the Dorsett train either.  For what he brings, a collection of penalties, lost offensive zone opportunities, the odd hit and the odd midweight fight, he's overpaid.  

When the Sedins are being manhandled in a game vs. LA or Anaheim, he's usually alongside Prust in the 'where art thou?' category.  But at least he's not crying about icetime like Prust.  (He hasn't had to.  Dorsett is a WD goldenboy.)

3 hours ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

I'm not fully on board the Dorsett train either.  For what he brings, a collection of penalties, lost offensive zone opportunities, the odd hit and the odd midweight fight, he's overpaid.  

When the Sedins are being manhandled in a game vs. LA or Anaheim, he's usually alongside Prust in the 'where art thou?' category.  But at least he's not crying about icetime like Prust.  (He hasn't had to.  Dorsett is a WD goldenboy.)

I have to disagree with you on Dorsett. From what I've seen he has always been there to answer the bell, unlike Prust. I believe that Dorsett is the perfect new-age tough guy. He can fight but still play hockey. That's the way the league is going now. In the new NHL if all you can do is fight and nothing else, you will be out of a job. I will agree with you that Dorsett is overpaid, but I've seen Dorsett step up and defend teammates on numerous occasions. That's something this hockey team needs to retain, especially with all the kids in the lineup. They need a "safe learning environment" as Linden put it. Dorsett provides that without being a complete liability out there. He's as close to the "best of both worlds" as we're gonna get in my opinion.

Dorsett IN, Prust OUT. That's my 2 cents.

If they want to provide "a safe learning environment" for the kids then they need to get a real heavyweight who both understands that role and is capable of doing it and quit expecting "middleweights who can play" to do it.

theres a big difference in knowing john Scott will come after you if you take advantage of a sedin or horvat vs the possibility of a middleweight swinging you around and wrestling you down while giving his best mean face.

And to be fair to prust, he knows he can't scare or hurt the really heavyweights and is probably trying to extending his playing career as long as possible by becoming a gritty veteran rather than a "getting knocked by real enforcers and retiring early due to concussions" type guy

21 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I have to disagree with you on Dorsett. From what I've seen he has always been there to answer the bell, unlike Prust. I believe that Dorsett is the perfect new-age tough guy. He can fight but still play hockey. That's the way the league is going now. In the new NHL if all you can do is fight and nothing else, you will be out of a job. I will agree with you that Dorsett is overpaid, but I've seen Dorsett step up and defend teammates on numerous occasions. That's something this hockey team needs to retain, especially with all the kids in the lineup. They need a "safe learning environment" as Linden put it. Dorsett provides that without being a complete liability out there. He's as close to the "best of both worlds" as we're gonna get in my opinion.

Dorsett IN, Prust OUT. That's my 2 cents.

Prust was a bigger player than Dorsett and is a great playoff option. Canucks are not likely making playoffs so moving him to a team that can use his toughness is a deal. Dorsett is not big enough to carry the physical load. He was abandoned by his team mates numerous times last year.

On 1/27/2016 at 8:52 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Rather have a coked out Kassian. 

i feel bad plussing this and even feel bad commenting about it since you said "coked out" but i really feel kassian could have filled the role that prust was brought into do easily. i know we were hoping and planning on kassian playing in the top six but if willie and the bunch sat down and told him he'd have more of an enforcer/checking role im sure we could have worked something out. kass on the third or fourth line would have been alright with me. he has the heart of a lion and silky mitts that turn to stone when he goes ape on someone. i really miss the guy and his character. Whether you jugde him on his off ice antics or not, you have to admit you loved him when he was on the ice. i know he was a project, but he was OUR project. i know he could have turned it around here.

now he's in edmonton....

17 minutes ago, IrishCanuck5 said:

i feel bad plussing this and even feel bad commenting about it since you said "coked out" but i really feel kassian could have filled the role that prust was brought into do easily. i know we were hoping and planning on kassian playing in the top six but if willie and the bunch sat down and told him he'd have more of an enforcer/checking role im sure we could have worked something out. kass on the third or fourth line would have been alright with me. he has the heart of a lion and silky mitts that turn to stone when he goes ape on someone. i really miss the guy and his character. Whether you jugde him on his off ice antics or not, you have to admit you loved him when he was on the ice. i know he was a project, but he was OUR project. i know he could have turned it around here.

now he's in edmonton....

I will admit that it was a little tactless. What I meant by that statement was that even when Kassian was in the midst of whatever it was that had a hold on him, he still had an excitement and passion to his game. His emphatic *#@^ yeahs when he scored against Boston and Chicago last season were plain awesome. 

Prust has displayed nothing like that and frankly seems to be merely putting in time here until July 1st. Kudos to WD for putting him where he rightfully deserves to be right now. 

Slainte to you my fellow Fenian!

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I will admit that it was a little tactless. What I meant by that statement was that even when Kassian was in the midst of whatever it was that had a hold on him, he still had an excitement and passion to his game. His emphatic *#@^ yeahs when he scored against Boston and Chicago last season were plain awesome. 

Prust has displayed nothing like that and frankly seems to be merely putting in time here until July 1st. Kudos to WD for putting him where he rightfully deserves to be right now. 

Slainte to you my fellow Fenian!

Prust can ride off into the sunset for all i care. i havent liked him even since his calgary days, and i know people hated him when he was on calgary. just the ones who remeber those times. 

i can go on forever with this rant but ill end it now with a proposal:

Prust vs Kassian fight. wouldnt that be soothing? or if anything it would be against the grain. i honestly dont know who i would cheer for as a canucks fan and a kassian supporter. it would be a fight i would love to see.

oh wait, prust has to be in the lineup....

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Prust was a bigger player than Dorsett and is a great playoff option. Canucks are not likely making playoffs so moving him to a team that can use his toughness is a deal. Dorsett is not big enough to carry the physical load. He was abandoned by his team mates numerous times last year.

Too bad Dorsett plays with more toughness than Prust eh

4 hours ago, Bren Mo said:

If they want to provide "a safe learning environment" for the kids then they need to get a real heavyweight who both understands that role and is capable of doing it and quit expecting "middleweights who can play" to do it.

theres a big difference in knowing john Scott will come after you if you take advantage of a sedin or horvat vs the possibility of a middleweight swinging you around and wrestling you down while giving his best mean face.

And to be fair to prust, he knows he can't scare or hurt the really heavyweights and is probably trying to extending his playing career as long as possible by becoming a gritty veteran rather than a "getting knocked by real enforcers and retiring early due to concussions" type guy

Who cares about the heavyweights ?   He was brought here to help DD keep the Marchand and Brown types from taking liberties with our stars, and help our developing kids feel safer.   And he's not doing that, so dump him for something.

Archived