The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elephant in the room - Hank and Danny

kingofsurrey

21 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

whats the plan ???    trade 2 of the leagues top producers ?   they never depended on speed ..   they will still be good in 4 years . besides , they would rather retire than play somewhere else .  trade talk is just a waste of time .    if the twins are your second line behind a bonified first you are a deep and dangerous team .   this trade talk is a joke . it will never happen 

flames fans always thought iggy would retire a flame as well 

rebuild will be tough on canuck fans Maybe  our fans cant handle a rebuild    

Remember how we got hank and danny     

may

12 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Team is losing.  All players pretty much are not contributing. I think all players can be held accountable.

Lets look at our 2 highest paid players on the team. Hank and Danny.

Decent season so far but as the year finishes up their production seems to be slipping. 

2 more years for each at 7 mil per year. NMC / NTC .   They do we lose them as UFV 's or retirement - no assets returned to us.

Calgary traded their most loved player in Iggy.     What do we do ? Leadership starts  at the top.  Hank and Danny  " ARE " the canucks franchise right now.. Total class guys. 

How do we go forward with the twins ? Are they top line next season ? Are they top line in  2 yrs ?  Do they retire as canucks ?  Can they be moved as part of the rebuild ?   We can't ignore the Elephant in the room. 

Elephant in the room

Idiom Definitions for 'Elephant in the room'

An elephant in the room is a problem that everyone knows very well but no one talks about because it is taboo, embarrassing, etc.

I stopped reading at king of Surrey.....

I can see the OP's point, and the points are valid. This is a business afterall and we got to do whats best for the future. Sedins won't win a cup with the Canucks,so why not give them a chance with another team? They are our two best (and most valuable) players atm, and we need picks in th worst way.

We're in for a few dark years anyway,might as well get some assets now and speed up the rebuild. Bite the bullet and get it over with.

24 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

I can see the OP's point, and the points are valid. This is a business afterall and we got to do whats best for the future. Sedins won't win a cup with the Canucks,so why not give them a chance with another team? They are our two best (and most valuable) players atm, and we need picks in th worst way.

We're in for a few dark years anyway,might as well get some assets now and speed up the rebuild. Bite the bullet and get it over with.

I don't think it's as straightforward as that...If we trade the Sedins, who leads our younger players? Sutter? Edler?

We can rebuild like the Oilers (many great prospects with little to no direction) or we can rebuild like the Panthers.

Little things like these matter; it's not just something that we "get over with."

13 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

YTeam is losing.  All players pretty much are not contributing. I think all players can be held accountable.

Lets look at our 2 highest paid players on the team. Hank and Danny.

Decent season so far but as the year finishes up their production seems to be slipping. 

2 more years for each at 7 mil per year. NMC / NTC .   They do we lose them as UFV 's or retirement - no assets returned to us.

Calgary traded their most loved player in Iggy.     What do we do ? Leadership starts  at the top.  Hank and Danny  " ARE " the canucks franchise right now.. Total class guys. 

How do we go forward with the twins ? Are they top line next season ? Are they top line in  2 yrs ?  Do they retire as canucks ?  Can they be moved as part of the rebuild ?   We can't ignore the Elephant in the room. 

Elephant in the room

Idiom Definitions for 'Elephant in the room'

An elephant in the room is a problem that everyone knows very well but no one talks about because it is taboo, embarrassing, etc.

Lets trade a 2 best scorers by a large margin for mostly camp dumps. Both will end up with 60 points this year and u wanna trade them for what? how bout lets draft and sign some good player to play with the twins on a strong talented team. lets trade our ufas like vrbata and hammer and hanson if we get a good young d prospect. oh and to call urselve the king  of surrey I hope you've earned your orange and stripes cuz we all know what surryey is controlled by. often made fun of for being a poor city yet we have more 1 million dollar houses then almost all of Canada yet in Calgary or ed or win you can find the same trype of house for under 300k sorry get a little defensive when people diss surrey for hno reason other then some jokes from the 90sa 

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

So are they only 33?  They are 35. That's a fact.  Whether playing hockey or not, they still aged.  

yes it is, but sans two years of wear and tear that comes from playing two seasons.

5 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

The only elephant in the room is the elephant sized turd which is this thread.

had to laugh at that

3 hours ago, clam linguine said:

As in politics, ultimately, fans get the teams they deserve. Lame attempts to make legends of these two stars, at the expense of future success, is typical of perennial losers. That can change.

did you see what some liverpool fc fans did in the 77th minute of a recent game?  i wonder if oiler fans would have done something similar years ago, would MacT and KLowe have been canned much earlier?  hard to say.

There is no issue with the Sedins.  We knew there was a good chance they would not play up to contract expectations in the final years of this latest signing, and so far they have actually fared quite well.  On top of that, they continue to provide leadership and are exemplary examples of off-ice conduct. 

Will they continue to be 1st line players?  Probably - unless their production goes down dramatically.  We don't really have a choice unless our young guys develop faster than expected.  And having players leave in the twilight of their career without a return is pretty much expected.  These guys have played for us all their careers.  That's what happens.

-1 to the post.  There is no elephant.

21 hours ago, gameburn said:

Benning and Linden have kind of said what a lot of us feel: these guys are different: the Sedins decide when they are done; we don't trade them. They retire here. 

The only debate I can see worth having is: do they re-sign in 2 years, and how is this handled.  Both Sedins seem to want to become the core of a new second line, i.e., decline gracefully, help with the rebuild.  This is admirable.  Burrows, Edler, even Hamhuis are different: almost the same amount of cap space and money, and not the same significance in this transition.  All three with the possible exception of Hamhuis -- who could have a role comparable to the Sedins -- can be "Higginsed."

Never mind defining white elephant

Let's get Higginsed in the dictionary.

It all comes down to what value brings more to this team.  And once you consider two $7 million players, who are 35+, who won’t separate, with full NMC, you quickly realize they have more value in what they will bring this team in leadership (which is a great importance to a team in transition).

Look at some past deals over the last couple of years. 

Martin St. Louis and a conditional 2nd round pick (60th overall)

Picked up Callahan (UFA) a 2014 1st (28th overall), and conditional 2nd (became a 2015, 28th overall) and 7th round pick (209th overall)

Iginla, picked up Hanowski (who’s already out of the NHL in Europe) + Agostino (who’s 23 and yet to play 10 games in the NHL) + 2013 1st (28th overall)

Now unless you think 28th overall picks are what you rebuild a team around than there really is no argument. We’ve got a ton of players under that age of 24 that are in the process of transitioning into the NHL.  We need the leadership to guide us through this time.    The only argument people have with our prospect pool is there is not top 5 draft pick, superstar, that’s a completely different conversation as drafting in the top 5 isn’t the only way to acquire high end talent. 

There is no problem with the Twins. Look at what they have around them. They have not had secondary scoring or PMD to help them. The REAL PROBLEM lies with the other high paid players; Vrbata and Burrows. Take a look at how much they get paid and their numbers. Their point production and plus minus's are atrocious.You could probably throw Edler in there as well. Imagine if we improved just these 3 players how much better and in turn how much better the Twins could be.

The Sedins have earned the right to wear the Canucks jersey for life plain and simple. They didn't win the Stanley Cup but Henrik took the Canucks as far as Linden and Smyl did. They are still dependable first line players albeit the fact that they need to be says more about the Canucks depth than thier "drop" in production. My storybook ending for these guy is that Linden and Benning hire them to be the head coaches of the new era.

13 hours ago, dudeistpriest said:

yeah, i've had a rat in my kitchen once or twice, but i get rid of them quick !!!  the sedins are not rats so why you want to get rid of them ??  for the #1 draft pick ??  do you really think we should lose every game between now and the end of the season to make that a remote possibility ??  look what that has done for edmonton.  wow !!  i'd love to be an edmonton fan !!  they rock after getting so many touted 1st round picks !!  they lost 8-1 today with mcjesus back in the line up.

Glad to hear you got rid of the rats.  The Twins are still very good players, and I enjoy watching them.  They are, paradoxically too good for our team.  We need top three picks (remember that's where we picked them) to get the elite talent needed to consistently score in this league.  The Twins will keep us mediocre; we'll pick middle of the pack; and we will continue in mediocracy.  We did this in the seventies, eighties, and nineties.  Not until we drafted TWO elite offensive talents (the twins at tw and three overall) did we begin to become Cup competitive.  We can either move them now for assets, and do this rebuild right, or we can wait for the inevitable.  However, a stitch in time, saves nine.  Do it now, and we can be a Cup competitive team in three years.  Wait, and it's going to be many many years - perhaps decades - until we compete again.  

This  teams failure  is not to do with Hank and Dannys  play. Of course , the team as currently assembled has many other weaknesses.

The bigger question is how to handle Hank and Danny going forward.

Does a non playoff team need 14 mil in cap space to two  35 yr olds  forwards ?  Do we want  a  Over 35 yr old first line ? 

Can the twins be exchanged for 4 picks  next year at the deadline for the final 30 games to speed up our rebuild  ? 

Do we resign the twins for 4-5 mil per year for 2 years after this contract expires at the end of next season ?

Lots of questions . Funny how some posters on here can so angry about just discussing the situation. 

No one on our club is untouchable.  Naslund, Ohlund, Luongo, Linden all got moved at some point in their careers.....  Its a business.  

Maybe Hank and Danny get moved. Maybe they don't.    

23 hours ago, gameburn said:

Benning and Linden have kind of said what a lot of us feel: these guys are different: the Sedins decide when they are done; we don't trade them. They retire here. 

The only debate I can see worth having is: do they re-sign in 2 years, and how is this handled.  Both Sedins seem to want to become the core of a new second line, i.e., decline gracefully, help with the rebuild.  This is admirable.  Burrows, Edler, even Hamhuis are different: almost the same amount of cap space and money, and not the same significance in this transition.  All three with the possible exception of Hamhuis -- who could have a role comparable to the Sedins -- can be "Higginsed."

Sedinsand Miller need to retire quicker - they are not scoring goals. but playing w the puck

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

This  teams failure  is not to do with Hank and Dannys  play. Of course , the team as currently assembled has many other weaknesses.

The bigger question is how to handle Hank and Danny going forward.

Does a non playoff team need 14 mil in cap space to two  35 yr olds  forwards ?  Do we want  a  Over 35 yr old first line ? 

Can the twins be exchanged for 4 picks  next year at the deadline for the final 30 games to speed up our rebuild  ? 

Do we resign the twins for 4-5 mil per year for 2 years after this contract expires at the end of next season ?

Lots of questions . Funny how some posters on here can so angry about just discussing the situation. 

No one on our club is untouchable.  Naslund, Ohlund, Luongo, Linden all got moved at some point in their careers.....  Its a business.  

Maybe Hank and Danny get moved. Maybe they don't.    

I think the main reason they need the twins is for mentoring and acting as an example for younger players.  Also, this team will be competitive on most nights as long as the twins are still in the lineup.  This will allow the team to shelter and foster the younger players - the complete opposite of what is going on in Edmonton where they fed numerous young players full of potential to the lions.

For the sake of argument suppose they let the twins go - suddenly they have 14 million in cap space to play with. Problem is which UFA can they attract here that can replace them?  High impact players usually want lots of money and usually dont want to go to teams that will be rebuilding for the next 5 years.

Archived