The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Lucic plans to "remain a King" for rest of career

31 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

People talk about the canucks always getting called on bad penalties and the refs are out to get us. I'm curious if getting lucic might actually help us in this respect. 

I for for one don't think there is a conspiracy to penalize the canucks. But with how the league is refd they like to even out the penalties. With that said teams with more players like lucic can sometimes get away with things because the refs want it to be semi balanced. The canucks on the other hand don't have as many of those players so there can be soft calls against our guys or the refs pick out our agitators more then others.

does that make any sense? It's not a conspiracy just refs trying to balance calls and teams with more agitators can get away with agitating more be use refs don't want to call it in one way too much. 

Come me playoff time a call has be absolutely undeniable to be made. Sometimes even those plays are left uncalled.  That's why it's not a handy cap to have more rough and tough players instead of softies like we have had. 

Just my speculation.  Make of it what you wish!

As far as officials are concerned, I believe that there is zero consistency in how they call games, and frankly they are accountable to no one.

In no other sport have I seen officials so blatantly fail to call such clear and flagrant penalties, and call plays that in no way resemble a penalty.

This, to me, speaks to the fact that the officials in the NHL are either:

• completely and totally inept at their jobs, or
  • actively managing games to the point that they are affecting the outcome of a game.

In saying that, it speaks to the fact that the NHL either:

• knowingly keeps woefully inadequate officials gainfully employed at the detriment of the sport, or
  • employs officials who are complicit to the league, in manufacturing outcomes to games.

This can't just be a continual coincidence that refs blow calls and make phantom ones up to leverage game play.

You're right that it isn't a Canuck centric issue either. I've seen games between various teams where refs blow calls.

One of the worst was during a game between Colorado and Nashville, in where a Avs forward (Duchene, I think) crossed the Nashville blueline without the puck five feet in front of the official (who was staring right at him), and received a pass and skated past both Nashville defensemen (Suter and Weber) who stopped playing as they were rightfully convinced that Duchene was offside, as was Rinne.

The clincher is that Duchene skated in and scored and the goal counted. Ridiculous.

21 hours ago, Warhippy said:

All I can hear is the similarities between

We're signing Lucic" and "We're signing Clarkson" from the Toronto forums from a few years ago and I cringe

Clarkson cashed in huge, when he had one 30 goal season, playing premium minutes. He been mainly a 3rd/4th liner, throughout his career. Lucic on the other hand, has been a consistent 15+ goals, 40+ point player, playing top 6 mintues. So, there's really no similarities between the two. 

If/when he gets 6.5M+ in his new deal, it will be well deserved and not because he played one good season.

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Clarkson cashed in huge, when he had one 30 goal season, playing premium minutes. He been mainly a 3rd/4th liner, throughout his career. Lucic on the other hand, has been a consistent 15+ goals, 40+ point player, playing top 6 mintues. So, there's really no similarities between the two. 

If/when he gets 6.5M+ in his new deal, it will be well deserved and not because he played one good season.

Clarkson 30.8 point per season average in Jersey as a bottom 6 player

Lucic 46.2 point per season average in Boston as a top 6 player

They're comparable kinda guys large bodied high PIMS etc, but Lucic gets the nod on points no question.

To me, that points per season average does NOT justify a $6.5+ million a year contract and even if it does I want no part of it here based on that production.  He'd be a stop gap, an expensive one, he'd become a liability at the term he is supposed to want and there's no escaping that contract once it's locked in.

We have much more pressing needs than over paying someone to come in and as people state "help the Sedins" when they're set to retire in a few seasons

21 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

They're comparable kinda guys large bodied high PIMS etc, but Lucic gets the nod on points no question.

To me, that points per season average does NOT justify a $6.5+ million a year contract and even if it does I want no part of it here based on that production.  He'd be a stop gap, an expensive one, he'd become a liability at the term he is supposed to want and there's no escaping that contract once it's locked in.

We have much more pressing needs than over paying someone to come in and as people state "help the Sedins" when they're set to retire in a few seasons

I think Clarkson is a better skater than Lucic, but he's not nearly as big.  Does't Milan outweigh Clarkson by A LOT?  Milan is a way tougher player to play against too.  He plays a very heavy game, in straight lines, that Clarkson is in too light for.  IMHAO

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Clarkson is a better skater than Lucic, but he's not nearly as big.  Does't Milan outweigh Clarkson by A LOT?  Milan is a way tougher player to play against too.  He plays a very heavy game, in straight lines, that Clarkson is in too light for.  IMHAO

Clarkson - 6'1" 200 lbs (31 yr old)

Lucic - 6'3 235 lbs (27 yr old)

3 inches, 34 pounds, and 4 years difference. Yeah, that was a poor comparison, you're right, Alf.

12 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Clarkson is a joke.

He certainly has become a joke hasn't he?  The issue with him is his contract.  If he was paid the proper amount for what he contributes, which would be A LOT less (1.5 million) then we would not know he exists.  Is Clarkson the joke, or is Nonis for the crazy contract?

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

On the sites I saw, it had Clarkson listed as 6 foot 1 and 1/2 inch and 211 pounds.  Lucic as 6 foot 3 227 pounds.

I don't consider that a lot if those are factual  

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

On the sites I saw, it had Clarkson listed as 6 foot 1 and 1/2 inch and 211 pounds.  Lucic as 6 foot 3 227 pounds.

I don't consider that a lot if those are factual  

I can see Lucic weighing that much, but Clarkson is a leaner athlete.  If he's over 190, I would be shocked.  Regardless, they do play different games.  Milan is a straight line, intimidating force who provides offense.  David is neither.  IMHAO, of course.  I do like Clarkson in a bottom six role, much like Dorsett here.  He is just way overpaid for what he is able to provide.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He certainly has become a joke hasn't he?  The issue with him is his contract.  If he was paid the proper amount for what he contributes, which would be A LOT less (1.5 million) then we would not know he exists.  Is Clarkson the joke, or is Nonis for the crazy contract?

Both to be fair.

i used to kinda like the guy actually.

18 hours ago, duc_evo said:

Baestichi Horvat Virtanen

Shinkaruk McCann Boeser

Gaunce Cassels ???????

We don't really need Lucic for the future.

Well, if we make the first round of the playoffs, and play the Kings..

.. And after Lucic destroys the names on your list,. Plus Hutton, Tanev, Biegga and Bartowski, on his way to another Stanley Cup. Youll either change your mind or complain about refereeing .

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I'd be fine if he signs somewhere between 4-6 years at 6.7M, which is more likely than what others are suggesting. He's not going to get the 8 years max deal or at least no GM would offer him that kind of term. Those deals are for the elite group of superstars, and I'm pretty sure he knows he's a tier below that.

On 9 February, 2016 at 4:00 PM, TheRussianRocket. said:

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/02/08/lucics-plan-is-to-remain-a-king-for-remainder-of-career/

Well damn us if this is true.

Finally had a realistic chance at Lucic with him expressing his desire to come back home but I don't blame him. Was surprised he still wanted to come back even after being traded to LA but now he seems to have settled in. It's close enough to home being in the Pacific and arguably the best city you could play for. 

...just a matter if the Kings can afford to pay him and somehow remain under the cap. I know people have mixed feelings about the Canucks signing Lucic but I am all for it. If it happens to be he stays in LA, wouldn't be the end of the world and I guess we could pursue another forward, say like Okposo..

Yaaayyyyyy!

• 1 month later...

Word on the street, according to Pierre LeBrun, is that Lombardi and Lucic won't discuss any extension until after the playoffs. 

Both sides are still far apart on salary and term, and unless Lombardi can shed some players, Lucic will not be staying in LA. 

I'm not the most astute poster when it comes to links, especially from a mobile. 

THN link pertaining to Lucic

Archived