The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Lucic plans to "remain a King" for rest of career

9 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I'm all for saying good bye, but they have existing contracts still and we are not trading them unfortunately so what I'm trying to say is lucic could possibly bring them back up to first line caliber players again and with a healthy team I could see us grabbing a wild card spot. lots of people are against making the playoffs during a rebuild but sometimes a winning environment around a bunch of 3-10 picks is more important than a losing environment around a bunch of 1st overalls. I would like to see the canucks make a push for lucic for multiple reasons and yes I do agree we need our back end fixed before we could ever make noise in the playoffs. 

I'm not saying trade the Sedins. No one would take to 36 year old players for $7M each. Ain't gonna happen. They'll retire Canucks, and their legacy, which will reflect positively on the club, will remain intact.

My point is that whatever moves Benning makes going forward can't be done solely with how it will affect the Sedins production going forward. Acquiring Lucic should be done as much for how it will affect Horvat (or Matthews/Laine/Pulijarvi), who would be dynamite with Lucic as his LW, as to how it would affect the Sedins game.

Lucic and the Sedins might work, and it might not. He would be the right net front presence to keep defenders occupied whilst Sedinery is occurring in and around the hashmarks, that is for sure. The hit that McNabb levelled on Henrik, wouldn't have occurred had Lucic been their linemate versus Hansen. Although I have to once again give credit to Biega for jumping right in on McNabb after that hit, which the useless officials completely ignored.

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They'll retire Canucks, and their legacy, which will reflect positively on the club, will remain intact.

I don't agree that no one would take them (would be a difficult cap transaction but that's beside the point) - imo there is only so much magic in the NHL and some of it you simply keep - defining your franchise.   Pavel Datsyuk also comes to mind - there are simply some players that you don't necessarily trade - 'asset management' has it's limits.   The NHL needs a couple examples of guys who are drafted by a franchise and play every game for them - old school style - in an age where virtually everyone changes places, arenas change their names to cheesy corporate logos, and countless teams lack identities.

(Of course, that's not set in stone - if they're expiring contracts, suffering through another season like this and want to go somewhere for a run, by all means, you accommodate them, but at this point, otherwise, I don't see them going anywhere).

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't agree that no one would take them (would be a difficult cap transaction but that's beside the point) - imo there is only so much magic in the NHL and some of it you simply keep - defining your franchise.   Pavel Datsyuk also comes to mind - there are simply some players that you don't necessarily trade - 'asset management' has it's limits.   The NHL needs a couple examples of guys who are drafted by a franchise and play every game for them - old school style - in an age where virtually everyone changes places, arenas change their names to cheesy corporate logos, and countless teams lack identities.

(Of course, that's not set in stone - if they're expiring contracts, suffering through another season like this and want to go somewhere for a run, by all means, you accommodate them, but at this point, otherwise, I don't see them going anywhere).

The Sedins are still two of the smartest players in the game, and would benefit any roster. That being said, the combination of their age, cap hit, and requirement of both remaining together would be too much for most contending teams to manage.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Sedins are still two of the smartest players in the game, and would benefit any roster. That being said, the combination of their age, cap hit, and requirement of both remaining together would be too much for most contending teams to manage.

Depends - at the deadline, pro-rated they'd require only about 4 million cap space - one key injury could open enough extra space for a team - but imo it's academic.

2 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I'm all for saying good bye, but they have existing contracts still and we are not trading them unfortunately so what I'm trying to say is lucic could possibly bring them back up to first line caliber players again and with a healthy team I could see us grabbing a wild card spot. lots of people are against making the playoffs during a rebuild but sometimes a winning environment around a bunch of 3-10 picks is more important than a losing environment around a bunch of 1st overalls. I would like to see the canucks make a push for lucic for multiple reasons and yes I do agree we need our back end fixed before we could ever make noise in the playoffs. 

Lucic is too slow to play with the twins. I can just see now how many times the opposition would blow by all three for odd man rushes against :picard: 

Opposition D will probably be back in our end before they are! :lol:...:(

They're far better off playing with a speedy, fore-checking, board battling 2way forward (Sutter, Hansen).

...or Okposo ::D 

I don't even want anyone we sign to be slotted in with the twins.  I liked what Hansen brought last year.  I'd like to see us get a top 6 winger to play with Sutter and potentially Rodin.  That leaves a pretty well balanced top 9 with Baertschi Horvat and Virtanen on the third.  It also leaves lots of room for line juggling in case of injuries.  Depth and versatility on both the middle and on the wings.

Sedin sedin Hansen

Baertschi Sutter Okposo

Rodin Horvat Virtanen

Etem Granlund Dorsett

Grenier.

33 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't even want anyone we sign to be slotted in with the twins.  I liked what Hansen brought last year.  I'd like to see us get a top 6 winger to play with Sutter and potentially Rodin.  That leaves a pretty well balanced top 9 with Baertschi Horvat and Virtanen on the third.  It also leaves lots of room for line juggling in case of injuries.  Depth and versatility on both the middle and on the wings.

Sedin sedin Hansen

Baertschi Sutter Okposo

Rodin Horvat Virtanen

Etem Granlund Dorsett

Grenier.

Say hello to another top 5 pick next season with that Lineup...

36 minutes ago, Rocky Balboa said:

You mean say hello to adding a top 5 pick into that line up.  Specifically Matthews.

But comparing that line up to this year. That line up would destroy this years team (assuming players don't take a step back)

Healthy sutter > injured sutter

Okposo > Vbrata

22 year old Horvat > Sophomore slump horvat

Same with Baertschi, Etem, adding in Tryamkin for a full year.  A year older Hutton,  Hopefully a healthier Edler. 

yeah that 2016-17 line up would kill 2015-16 line up.

10 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The way things are looking, it is entirely possible. Personally though, I'm less concerned with the Sedins and their constantly revolving door of linemates, and more concerned about the welfare of the future of the team. Henrik and Daniel have had their time, and now that is dwindling down.

Adding Lucic to the roster would help breed an environment that the youth could excel in, I think Benning referred to it as a safe work environment. Lucic may be an ass and a goof at the best of times regarding his one ice antics (which have been down this year), but he would go out of his way to stand up for his teammates, and wouldn't be calling people out post game. Much like Burrows, Lucic is a player that galvanizes fans. If he's on your team, you love him, if he's not, you hate his guts.

This could very well be the reason the rumour of "buy-out" is close to burrows now. . . extra Capspace to make a qualifying offer to Milan  Lucic ...   and still have the room to offer Stamkos the max.

i have a question for anybody here... If Burrows is "bought out" of his contract,.. Can we immediately offer him another? 

... What I am implying is , if we clear him of the 5m ,. can we re-sign him at say, 2.5m ?  Does a possibility exist for Burrows to gain his 5m next season (2.5 buy-out & 2.5 new contract), yet only show a 2.5 cap hit.   

I do not know the rules regarding buy-outs,. and my reasoning here is purely hypothetical. 

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

This could very well be the reason the rumour of "buy-out" is close to burrows now. . . extra Capspace to make a qualifying offer to Milan  Lucic ...   and still have the room to offer Stamkos the max.

i have a question for anybody here... If Burrows is "bought out" of his contract,.. Can we immediately offer him another?

... What I am implying is , if we clear him of the 5m ,. can we re-sign him at say, 2.5m ?  Does a possibility exist for Burrows to gain his 5m next season (2.5 buy-out & 2.5 new contract), yet only show a 2.5 cap hit.  

I do not know the rules regarding buy-outs,. and my reasoning here is purely hypothetical.

95-97%certain, no we can't, I have not read the most recent deal but iirc.

17 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You mean say hello to adding a top 5 pick into that line up.  Specifically Matthews.

But comparing that line up to this year. That line up would destroy this years team (assuming players don't take a step back)

Healthy sutter > injured sutter

Okposo > Vbrata

22 year old Horvat > Sophomore slump horvat

Same with Baertschi, Etem, adding in Tryamkin for a full year.  A year older Hutton,  Hopefully a healthier Edler. 

yeah that 2016-17 line up would kill 2015-16 line up.

French is my 1st language but....doesn't a slump, by definition, requires a drop in production???

10 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Lucic doubtful will come here  as he is  wanting to stay with a club that is not rebuilding!

Yet he said he wanted to sign with LA more than anything in the world, and yet they will wait until after the playoffs.

And the two sides are hugely far apart numbers wise.

What Lucic actually said was that he didn't want to be considered a saviour to a team. Now the guy has a pretty big head, considering that he's only won one Cup, but maybe the fact that Lombardi was offering far less than he thinks he's worth might humble him a little.

If he was added to the top 6 here, it would be a huge boost to the production and overall composition of the forward corps. However, if Lucic is demanding $7M a year, he may be in for a mild shock this summer.

20 hours ago, Rocky Balboa said:

So we add Okposo, a player who scored more than any player we had this year, presumably a significantly healthier roster, plus a year of progression from our youth and yet you don't believe we'll get any better. Interesting...

20 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sedin sedin Hansen

Baertschi Sutter Okposo

Rodin Horvat Virtanen

Etem Granlund Dorsett

Grenier.

That top six is friggin HORRIBLE.  YUK!  PUKE! ICK!

Lucic, Stamkos, Virtanen

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen

Your bottom six is excellent.  Virtanen will be replaced by Gaunce.

Alf is cute.:lol:

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

That top six is friggin HORRIBLE.  YUK!  PUKE! ICK!

Lucic, Stamkos, Virtanen

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen

Your bottom six is excellent.  Virtanen will be replaced by Gaunce.

Alf is cute.:lol:

So either Sutter or Horvat is our 4th line centre? Hmmm..

And in what world is Virtanen a 1st line winger? Maybe in Utica...

On a side note...what's with this Alf is cute stuff and all this 3rd person talking? It's slightly odd...

Archived