The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Lucic plans to "remain a King" for rest of career

43 minutes ago, mpt said:

Is our team incapable of developing Norris level d-men?  Every time one of them screws up the city wants to banish them from the team.  This fan base wrecks anyone good; why do you think so many have left and became elite players elsewhere?  Seems like the only ones that can deal with us are Swedish.  Maybe an all Swedish team?

Who was the last true Norris caliber defenseman that played here?

While it's the easiest target, blaming the fan base for a player leaving and excelling elsewhere is silly. Luongo left because Gillis let it be known that he believed Schneider to be the future and then Tortorella chose to play Lack instead of him at the Heritage Classic.

Blame the media for sure, but the fans? That theory just doesn't fly.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While it's the easiest target, blaming the fan base for a player leaving and excelling elsewhere is silly. Luongo left because Gillis let it be known that he believed Schneider to be the future and then Tortorella chose to play Lack instead of him at the Heritage Classic.

Luc Bourdon, possibly? Just one of those nightmare situations in Canucks history, who knows if we would have been holding a cup in game 7 if things were different....

14 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I don't disagree at all. I would much rather go for the superstar sniper in Stamkos. But we also desperately need an upgrade on D to have a hope.

It may be a long shot for Stamkos to sign in Van but if he is considering Toronto he obviously doesn't care about winning, at least short term. You know Lamoriello will give him a max contract offer though. I think Stamkos combined with an upgrade at the top end of our D would go a long way in rejuvenating this team. Much more than Lucic would. 

Again totally agree

We may be running in to the of season with a ton of cap space but that will only last so far as our UFA and RFA players as well as whichever large contract signing people are expecting.

We have defined needs and sadly, a $6+ million Lucic isn't one of them.  

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I dunno...... Reinhardt?  Jovo?  Ohlund?

6 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Except Stamkos won't sign with us so that comparison is pure fiction.

Every team interested in Stamkos will throw $10m+ at him...but there is literally ZERO reason why he'd pick Vancouver out of any of them lol.

...which leaves Lucic and hey whatever, say what you want but him on our team - any team as a matter of fact - would be an instant upgrade. #1 PF in the league by a country mile and I'll gladly take 4-5 years of prime production. 

It wasn't intended to be a proposal. 

It was a comparison of the risk associated with giving Lucic a 7 year deal. Something I wouldn't do, if it was me. 

Agree to disagree. I don't want any part of $50mil to Lucic. 

15 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

Luc Bourdon, possibly? Just one of those nightmare situations in Canucks history, who knows if we would have been holding a cup in game 7 if things were different....

Good point. What an immense loss, not only in his life for his friends and family, but to the team as well.

38 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

At nearly 28 years old, for 50 ish points a season and a suspension or suspendable liability outside of darling LA/Boston in a position we're a shade deep at he serves no purpose here

They say nobody will touch the Sedins...Sedins could retire in 2 seasons and we'd be saddled with a diminishing asset on a large contract in a time where he will be slowing down (as of course per cdc logic anyone over 30 is old and slows down)

When for a few million more we might have a 25 year old multiple 50 goal scorer named stamkos who has as much chance of signing here as Lucic does.

I just don't get the logic of people, we could DRAFT or trade for our own Lucic at almost any time, there's a few bruisers in this draft that fit that bill, there's a few prospects on the edge that fit that bill.  All for less than the 6 or 7 million looch will want long term

The irony here is it being said that some don't want Lucic because of butthurt over 2011, yet those who want him DO because of 2011.

Time to move on, alright.

13 minutes ago, theminister said:

It wasn't intended to be a proposal. 

It was a comparison of the risk associated with giving Lucic a 7 year deal. Something I wouldn't do, if it was me. 

Agree to disagree. I don't want any part of $50mil to Lucic. 

Even though I am a fan of bringing Lucic here, spending $7 M per year on him for 7 years is just plain old crazy.

If the Kings want to lay that type of coin down on the man, by all means. Yikes!

20 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The irony here is it being said that some don't want Lucic because of butthurt over 2011, yet those who want him DO because of 2011.

Time to move on, alright.

I think in some cases this is true. And I definitely agree that a large contingent of people need to move on from 2011. 

But there are some here who like Lucic for what he is and believe that at the right cap hit and term he could be a benefit but too much and too long for him makes him a liability. That's how I see him at least. 

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think in some cases this is true. And I definitely agree that a large contingent of people need to move on from 2011. 

But there are some here who like Lucic for what he is and believe that at the right cap hit and term he could be a benefit but too much and too long for him makes him a liability. That's how I see him at least. 

I'd be fine if he would agree to $6 M at 5 years. However, his statement to LA was essentially that he was looking to play out his career there, so Lombardi would then have to gauge what Lucic's remaining career would be. 8 years?

Notice that since Lucic made that statement publicly, Lombardi has yet to respond.

And would Lucic, if LA doesn't bite, make that same statement to every team on the 1st of July?

Stay away from Lucic. We're finally building a reputation for being a blue collar team and signing Lucic would destroy all that we've built. We don't need him and all the stupid sh&$ he brings with him.

one of the most over rated players out there. No thanks.

the guy has no loyalty. He's said contradicting things to the media time and time again just to serve his own interest. Least genuine person. You don't have to know him to see through his bullsh$+

6 minutes ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

Stay away from Lucic. We're finally building a reputation for being a blue collar team and signing Lucic would destroy all that we've built. We don't need him and all the stupid sh&$ he brings with him.

one of the most over rated players out there. No thanks.

the guy has no loyalty. He's said contradicting things to the media time and time again just to serve his own interest. Least genuine person. You don't have to know him to see through his bullsh$+

you sound like your his ex or something lol 

16 minutes ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

Just telling it how it is bud. Think for yourself and maybe you too will see how useless he is.

he would be third on the canucks in scoring and second in penalty minutes. 

useless. 

2 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

canucks desperately need another player like lucic, but maybe not lucic if that makes any sense

I get what you're saying. The Canucks do need sizable players 6'4" 220 and up that play a hard physical game and play with unity.

Lucic is at a stage in his career where he'll be demanding major coin, and Vancouver to put so many eggs in one basket might negate needs elsewhere within the team structure......ahem defense.

Archived