The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Lucic plans to "remain a King" for rest of career

19 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

canucks desperately need another player like lucic, but maybe not lucic if that makes any sense

We need to develop a player like Lucic, but not Lucic basically. Lucic himself makes no sense for us at the moment.

People only want him because he's local bc boy without thinking the logic of it through. If we sign him, that means we have 1 less spot open for a potential young gun. It means we're likely paying him more than Vrbata for a similar reason to why we signed Vrbata in the first place: to glue the team together through a transistion. Lucic's highly unlikely to be around when we have a good team again, so why should we focus on him as opposed to focusing on developing young talent to fill that gap later on?

If we sign Lucic, we potentially hamper our team, not improve it.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Lombardi just needs to get someone else to pack Dustin's bags for him, and slip in a little package the next time they head out on a road trip.

Lombardi puts him in a boat and says go to Canada and get me a case of beer Dustin.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

We need to develop a player like Lucic, but not Lucic basically. Lucic himself makes no sense for us at the moment.

People only want him because he's local bc boy without thinking the logic of it through. If we sign him, that means we have 1 less spot open for a potential young gun. It means we're likely paying him more than Vrbata for a similar reason to why we signed Vrbata in the first place: to glue the team together through a transistion. Lucic's highly unlikely to be around when we have a good team again, so why should we focus on him as opposed to focusing on developing young talent to fill that gap later on?

If we sign Lucic, we potentially hamper our team, not improve it.

While I see the sense in what you're saying, I can't see how Vrbata was brought in to act as a unifying force (glue the team together) during the transitional phase.

He's in his thirties, and outside of his sniping abilities, doesn't really offer anything to the team in a leadership/mentoring role as Henrik/Daniel/Hamhuis have already got that adequately covered.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I get what you're saying. The Canucks do need sizable players 6'4" 220 and up that play a hard physical game and play with unity.

Lucic is at a stage in his career where he'll be demanding major coin, and Vancouver to put so many eggs in one basket might negate needs elsewhere within the team structure......ahem defense.

Should be capspace even after signing a player like ML..  The thing is,. There isnt snother player like him out there who can get you points, play on the edge, and drop em against anybody for the team in an impact situation.  I for one, am sick and tired of watching the Sedin's take the punishment yhey have... They have had no protection in their career..  and the majority here in CDC, continue complaing and whining about refereeinging.He is an Impact player, has not changed his style since the Giants Memorial Cup..  Has kept the Bruins strong runners in the playoffs for many years,. And tasting the possibility of more  champgane from Stanley in L.A..  He will leave everything out on the ice to try and get it.

Lucic is a bullet, you win with him.. Lose without him.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While I see the sense in what you're saying, I can't see how Vrbata was brought in to act as a unifying force (glue the team together) during the transitional phase.

He's in his thirties, and outside of his sniping abilities, doesn't really offer anything to the team in a leadership/mentoring role as Henrik/Daniel/Hamhuis have already got that adequately covered.

With what I'm saying, don't focus so much on "glue" as in keeping the team together. I mean more "glue" as in to keep the team competitive. ;) Probably the wrong figure of speech on my part. Think of it more as paper mache (or that I just didn't drink enough coffee this morning)....

Just now, The Lock said:

With what I'm saying, don't focus so much on "glue" as in keeping the team together. I mean more "glue" as in to keep the team competitive. ;) Probably the wrong figure of speech on my part. Think of it more as paper mache....

I get what you're saying, I just don't think Vrbata is that type of player at all. He seems insular and singular in his purpose.

Vrbata doesn't scream "team guy" to me, and his severe drop off in production is also very concerning.

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Should be capspace even after signing a player like ML..  The thing is,. There isnt snother player like him out there who can get you points, play on the edge, and drop em against anybody for the team in an impact situation.  I for one, am sick and tired of watching the Sedin's take the punishment yhey have... They have had no protection in their career..  and the majority here in CDC, continue complaing and whining about refereeinging.He is an Impact player, has not changed his style since the Giants Memorial Cup..  Has kept the Bruins strong runners in the playoffs for many years,. And tasting the possibility of more  champgane from Stanley in L.A..  He will leave everything out on the ice to try and get it.

Lucic is a bullet, you win with him.. Lose without him.

Lucic, while an ass and immense douchebag at times, is the type of player that most teams (outside of Montreal) would covet, should he make it to free agency.

The Canucks need more than just him to turn this team around though. The defense is not built to win, let alone compete, and needs players of similar dimensions to Lucic to help with that.....cough Shea Weber cough....

However, the guy looks to be quite smitten with LA and will probably work with them to get a contract there, by all reports.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

before everyone is drooling and slobbering all over the idea lucic coming to vancouver now he's a scumbag trash. typical vancouver eh?

Supposedly the Canucks are an organization that prides itself on only signing players of impeccable morals and values and impervious character.

Players with even the slightest blemish on their records are not welcome as they are bound to tarnish the spotless reputation that Vancouver has fought to uphold.

1 hour ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

Just telling it how it is bud. Think for yourself and maybe you too will see how useless he is.

reputation is vastly overrated on this board. You need players like him to succeed in the playoffs --- he is far from useless. 

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Who was the last true Norris caliber defenseman that played here?

While it's the easiest target, blaming the fan base for a player leaving and excelling elsewhere is silly. Luongo left because Gillis let it be known that he believed Schneider to be the future and then Tortorella chose to play Lack instead of him at the Heritage Classic.

Blame the media for sure, but the fans? That theory just doesn't fly.

When Luongo first got here he was the best goalie in the league with Brodeurs, within a season he completely started dropping, then he leaves past his prime and he's an all-star again.  Luongo was tired of being dumped on, by the team and the fans, that's why he had enough; who blames him?  I don't.  We pump him up when he first got here to make him our savior, then we beat the hell out of him for years until he leaves, then we cheer for him every time he comes back.

On the other hand Kesler was cheered for his entire time, then he leaves and we boo the crap out of him.

This fan base makes no sense, some of the worst fans in pro sports.  Heck we miss the playoffs one year and people stop going to games.  At least the fans in Edmonton, Calgary, and Toronto support the team and continue to support them no matter the outcome. Vancouver fans are fans of winning, not fans of hockey.

BTW Jovonoski was a Norris caliber defender

Just now, mpt said:

When Luongo first got here he was the best goalie in the league with Brodeurs, within a season he completely started dropping, then he leaves past his prime and he's an all-star again.  Luongo was tired of being dumped on, by the team and the fans, that's why he had enough; who blames him?  I don't.  We pump him up when he first got here to make him our savior, then we beat the hell out of him for years until he leaves, then we cheer for him every time he comes back.

Your points make more sense when you take the "we" aspect out of them. Many fans, myself included, supported Luongo his entire time here.

On the other hand Kesler was cheered for his entire time, then he leaves and we boo the crap out of him.

Many fans still respect Kesler and enjoy his game. I thought he played a bit of a db move when he pulled the one team trick, but in the end that's his prerogative as it was his NTC.

This fan base makes no sense, some of the worst fans in pro sports.  Heck we miss the playoffs one year and people stop going to games.  At least the fans in Edmonton, Calgary, and Toronto support the team and continue to support them no matter the outcome. Vancouver fans are fans of winning, not fans of hockey.

These statements just kill any relevance your post had. Why should people pay some of the highest ticket prices in hockey when the team looks like it's going through the motions? Many people can't afford the cost of tickets and choose to watch at home instead.

Fans in Edmonton waited outside the concourse last year and booed the entire team after they left the ice, casting derisions on them that were disgusting. But Edmonton fans are awesome.

Toronto fans routinely show up at games with paper bags over their faces and toss jerseys on the ice. But they are great fans?

BTW Jovonoski was a Norris caliber defender

Jovanovski was a really good defenseman, but could be a bit of a train wreck in his own end. Can't say I agree. Ohlund was the closest d man to a Norris contender.

People talk about the canucks always getting called on bad penalties and the refs are out to get us. I'm curious if getting lucic might actually help us in this respect. 

I for for one don't think there is a conspiracy to penalize the canucks. But with how the league is refd they like to even out the penalties. With that said teams with more players like lucic can sometimes get away with things because the refs want it to be semi balanced. The canucks on the other hand don't have as many of those players so there can be soft calls against our guys or the refs pick out our agitators more then others.

does that make any sense? It's not a conspiracy just refs trying to balance calls and teams with more agitators can get away with agitating more be use refs don't want to call it in one way too much. 

Come me playoff time a call has be absolutely undeniable to be made. Sometimes even those plays are left uncalled.  That's why it's not a handy cap to have more rough and tough players instead of softies like we have had. 

Just my speculation.  Make of it what you wish!

Archived