The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Lucic plans to "remain a King" for rest of career

1 minute ago, meh_wassup said:

HELL NO.

Hamonic is great but he's not a #1 Dman. I see him on the same level as Edler - a decent #2 to support your best Dman. That's still a great player to have on your team but if we get a 4th overall, we could get potentially get a franchise player with that. AND you want to offer up 4th overall++???

If Benning can get Hamonic by trading Tanev + then I'm all for it, otherwise I don't see anything reasonable happening between us and the Isles. It would be a lateral move on our part at best.

And in other news, Milan Lucic plans to sign with the Kings.  :frantic:

As for Lucic, the more I'm watching him play the less I want him here. Not because he's slow (well partly because of that) but because he's not much of a threat offensively and he's horrible on the back check. His positioning defensively is sometimes decent but he's very inconsistent at that. If he brings an offensive edge then I wouldn't care much about his defensive play, we already have enough 2way players to carry the weight, but he doesn't. While I value the intangibles he brings, I don't see him putting up numbers here to justify the massive contract we would have to offer him. We don't have the Kopitars and Carters that he can play with here so that he can become the beneficiary of their skill, so pass.

12 hours ago, meh_wassup said:

Well he did say he wanted to go to a western canadian team so no if he's moving he's going to: 

WPG - doubt it because they really don't need to give up assets to grab yet another right handed Dman

CGY - also doubt it becausethey just got Hamilton last year and they have Brodie (who's also very good) and Jokipakka who will be very good). Not to mention Giordano.

EDM - There's a great fit for him here and the Oilers certainly have good pieces but I don't know if they have the quality Dman they would have to offer the Isles in return for Hamonic. They could offer Nurse + but I'm not sure the Oilers want to part with him yet.

VAN - He would be a great fit here with Edler, but I'm not sure we can get him without offering Edler, also I don't think Edler would waive to go to the Isles. I don't know if they would go for a package around Tanev (don't think they would). 

He's in a difficult situation, but I think EDM would be the best trade partner with the Isles.

For Hamonic, Winnipeg would give up the rights to Trouba and sweeten the pot in a jiffy. Don't underestimate Hamonic's value for Winnipeg either.With a true shut-down defenceman like Harmonic, Winnipeg would look scary deep in the defense for years to come and with one of the more promising goalies in the league, they would look to adopt a Nashville model of building from the back end, then wait for the right 'Phillip Forsberg' type forward to show up- which incidentally, they would be in a prime position to draft this year.

Also, as western teams, why would you just put Canadian teams in the mix ? If the man wants to stay close to Winnipeg, why would he not also look into Minnesota, hell any Central division team, given that Winnipeg (where he wants to be) is in Central Division and by default (scheduling of the league), he gets to go to Winnipeg 4 times more per year in ANY Central division team over ANY Canadian team(barring of course, Winnipeg Jets). 

/\

Winnipeg may agree to trade Trouba for Hamonic...but I don't see them agreeing to add to that. They shouldn't have to, either. Trouba is younger, bigger, and provides more offense. He has scored the same amount of goals (23) as Hamonic in just over half the games (211 vs. 395).

That is more than a fair return, especially considering NYI is the one dealing from a position of weakness.

15 hours ago, meh_wassup said:

HELL NO.

Hamonic is great but he's not a #1 Dman. I see him on the same level as Edler - a decent #2 to support your best Dman. That's still a great player to have on your team but if we get a 4th overall, we could get potentially get a franchise player with that. AND you want to offer up 4th overall++???

If Benning can get Hamonic by trading Tanev + then I'm all for it, otherwise I don't see anything reasonable happening between us and the Isles. It would be a lateral move on our part at best.

Hamonic would be the canucks #1 by a country mile.

19 hours ago, meh_wassup said:

As for Lucic, the more I'm watching him play the less I want him here. Not because he's slow (well partly because of that) but because he's not much of a threat offensively and he's horrible on the back check. His positioning defensively is sometimes decent but he's very inconsistent at that. If he brings an offensive edge then I wouldn't care much about his defensive play, we already have enough 2way players to carry the weight, but he doesn't. While I value the intangibles he brings, I don't see him putting up numbers here to justify the massive contract we would have to offer him. We don't have the Kopitars and Carters that he can play with here so that he can become the beneficiary of their skill, so pass.

Daniel and Henrik are pretty darned good players still, who would IMHAO do well with BIG MILAN.  We could over pay for Lucic, and sign him to only three years.  7x3 or 8 x3.  Just so long as it's not more than three years.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Daniel and Henrik are pretty darned good players still, who would IMHAO do well with BIG MILAN.  We could over pay for Lucic, and sign him to only three years.  7x3 or 8 x3.  Just so long as it's not more than three years.

No they wouldn't, they would be horrendous on a line together. They might work well on PP but 5 on 5 you don't want those 3 slugs  on the back check. For the contract I don't see him signing a shorter term deal than 5 years unless you're really up in money (more than what you're suggesting) and it's a resounding no to that. I just can't see a fit for him anywhere in the lineup. JB might see something else and if he does I'll reserve judgement until summer 2017 but I'm hoping we go in another direction to bring in size, grit and skill (like Ladd or Okposo).

Just now, meh_wassup said:

No they wouldn't, they would be horrendous on a line together. They might work well on PP but 5 on 5 you don't want those 3 slugs  on the back check. For the contract I don't see him signing a shorter term deal than 5 years unless you're really up in money (more than what you're suggesting) and it's a resounding no to that. I just can't see a fit for him anywhere in the lineup. JB might see something else and if he does I'll reserve judgement until summer 2017 but I'm hoping we go in another direction to bring in size, grit and skill (like Ladd or Okposo).

I like Ladd too.  (Is Milan not faster on the back pressure - straight line than Ladd?) Just so long as it's NOT Lui Errikson.  

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'd play him with Horvat, but it's about the sum of the parts, we'd get run over by no one next year with Lucic, Tram, Dorsett and Virtanen in the line up. The whole team would play bigger which would produce wins.

1 minute ago, aliboy said:

I'd play him with Horvat, but it's about the sum of the parts, we'd get run over by no one next year with Lucic, Tram, Dorsett and Virtanen in the line up. The whole team would play bigger which would produce wins.

That's a good idea.  Then Bo's minutes could go up 5 on 5.  Plus, he would have a protector.  

Lucic, Bo, Virtanen?

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like Ladd too.  (Is Milan not faster on the back pressure - straight line than Ladd?) Just so long as it's NOT Lui Errikson.  

I agree about the aversion from Loui Eriksson but no Ladd is much faster than Lucic (acceleration, agility and straight line top speed) and is a great 2way player. Plus Ladd provides great leadership and is a physical deterrent to opposition.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's a good idea.  Then Bo's minutes could go up 5 on 5.  Plus, he would have a protector.  

Lucic, Bo, Virtanen?

Bo doesn't need a protector, teams aren't bullying him and I'm not sure if you've noticed but towards the end of the year he played with a little more bite. I'm hoping more to come next year. 

11 minutes ago, aliboy said:

That's the only upside I see to bringing Lucic here and it's a valid one (the playing bigger part - not necessarily the more wins part), but getting Ladd/Okposo and Brouwer would have a very similar effect except they bring other skillsets to the table as well. 

7 hours ago, canuckistani said:

For Hamonic, Winnipeg would give up the rights to Trouba and sweeten the pot in a jiffy. Don't underestimate Hamonic's value for Winnipeg either.With a true shut-down defenceman like Harmonic, Winnipeg would look scary deep in the defense for years to come and with one of the more promising goalies in the league, they would look to adopt a Nashville model of building from the back end, then wait for the right 'Phillip Forsberg' type forward to show up- which incidentally, they would be in a prime position to draft this year.

Also, as western teams, why would you just put Canadian teams in the mix ? If the man wants to stay close to Winnipeg, why would he not also look into Minnesota, hell any Central division team, given that Winnipeg (where he wants to be) is in Central Division and by default (scheduling of the league), he gets to go to Winnipeg 4 times more per year in ANY Central division team over ANY Canadian team(barring of course, Winnipeg Jets). 

Winnipeg is already scary deep on defense so why would they give up their assets to further solidify a position they're already very solid in. If Hamonic was left handed then I can see them making a run at him to balance it out, but he's another right hander. So it wouldn't make sense for them to give up Trouba + to get someone who doesn't make them that much better now or for the future. Their problem is with the inconsistent forward group and shady goaltending at times.

The man literally said he wanted to go to a western Canadian team. I'm not making that up, you can google it. He doesn't have a NTC so he can't dictate that but it would be in bad faith if the GM sends him elsewhere.

5 hours ago, canadiangunner said:

Hamonic would be the canucks #1 by a country mile.

Sure, so is Edler now. But he's not the #1 Dman you build your team around, which is what this team is looking for. He's not much better Edler, it's just because he's a little bit younger so people see him as a much shinier toy. If we can get him here without giving up Edler I'd be ecstatic because it would give us a couple of minute eating Dmen and who knows they might elevate each other's games. But if we're giving up Edler+ for him, then it's a lateral move imo.

6 minutes ago, meh_wassup said:

Sure, so is Edler now. But he's not the #1 Dman you build your team around, which is what this team is looking for. He's not much better Edler, it's just because he's a little bit younger so people see him as a much shinier toy. If we can get him here without giving up Edler I'd be ecstatic because it would give us a couple of minute eating Dmen and who knows they might elevate each other's games. But if we're giving up Edler+ for him, then it's a lateral move imo.

Lateral other than we get younger and balance out our left-heavy D a bit.

A lot would also hinge on being able to sign one of the offensive D (Goligoski/Yandle) to play with Hamonic as well.

That said, Goligoski has played right side before (not sure about Yandle) and could pair nicely with Edler as well. That saves a lot of trouble (though doesn't help us get younger).

20 hours ago, meh_wassup said:

HELL NO.

I agree with this. After all the rumours about Hamonic, I started to watch some Islanders game to see him play. He is basically what Alex Edler is but a bit younger. A very good #2 defenceman at best and not the franchise defenceman that some on here seems to think he is. 

If we can get Hamonic for something reasonable, great. Tanev + ? Sure. I think he is a slight upgrade on Tanev. But not for top 5 pick in this year's draft.

20 hours ago, meh_wassup said:

Man, you think exactly like me. I don't think Lucic will play well here. Sure, if he plays with the Sedins, then he can help with keeping the cheap shots away and will chip in about 20-25 goals (but even Hansen could do that) but I don't think he will reach 30+ goals, and therefore, not worth 6-7 million dollar salary that he will be asking. 

8 minutes ago, khay said:

I agree with this. After all the rumours about Hamonic, I started to watch some Islanders game to see him play. He is basically what Alex Edler is but a bit younger. A very good #2 defenceman at best and not the franchise defenceman that some on here seems to think he is. 

If we can get Hamonic for something reasonable, great. Tanev + ? Sure. I think he is a slight upgrade on Tanev. But not for top 5 pick in this year's draft.

Edler has never stood up for a teammate. Hamonic is far more consistent in the physicality department.

And Tanev is a very smart defenseman. Rather jettison Edler and keep Tanev.

12 minutes ago, khay said:

He's better defensively than Edler but has less offensive skill. Beyond that, he has his youth and being a natural right side D in his '+' column. If I recall, he's also a bit better of a skater.

As I said above, if we were able to get him (or one of Gudbranson/Petrovic for that matter), to get the most out of him (them), we'd need to pair him with a more offensive D (Goligoski/Yandle). That's a lot of dominoes...

Otherwise, I completely agree with not moving our #6 or better pick. That's ridiculous.

Archived