The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Nux vs. Lames 6pm Feb 19 2016

Toni Zamboni

CANUCKS (22-23-12) at FLAMES (25-28-3)
TV: 9 p.m. ET; SNP, SNW, NHL.TV

Season series: The Calgary Flames have won two of three games against the Vancouver Canucks, including a 3-2 overtime victory at Rogers Arena on Oct. 10. Jiri Hudler and Johnny Gaudreau each has a goal and three assists to lead Calgary. Alexandre Burrows and Daniel Sedin each has a goal and two assists to lead Vancouver.

Canucks team scope: Vancouver has lost three in a row after a 5-2 home loss to the Anaheim Ducks on Thursday. "All we can do is stick up for each other and play for each other," said forward Daniel Sedin, who had two assists and is on a three-game point streak (one goal, three assists). "That's key right now. I think we did that better today, way better than the last two games. That's the only way you get out of this. Everyone comes to the rink with a positive attitude, play hard and things will be better. But obviously it's tough right now." Goalie Jacob Markstrom likely will start after Ryan Miller allowed four goals on 32 shots against the Ducks.

Flames team scope: Defenseman Ladislav Smid sustained an upper-body injury in a 5-3 home loss to the Minnesota Wild on Wednesday and is day-to-day. Calgary, which has lost three in a row, is already thin on defense; Dennis Wideman has served eight of his 20-game suspension for hitting a linesman Jan. 27 against the Nashville Predators, and Kris Russell is day-to-day with a lower-body injury. The Flames did not practice Thursday. Goalie Jonas Hiller, who made 34 saves in a 4-1 win against the Canucks in Vancouver on Feb. 6, likely will make his fourth straight start since Karri Ramo sustained a season-ending knee injury Feb. 11. Hiller allowed four goals on 23 shots against Minnesota. He is 8-7-1 with a 3.27 goals-against average and .886 save percentage in 20 games (17 starts). Goalie Joni Ortio, who the Flames recalled from Stockton of the American Hockey League after Ramo was injured, is 0-3-1 with a 4.14 GAA and .862 save percentage. He allowed two goals on 11 shots in a 6-4 loss to the Anaheim Ducks on Monday, his lone appearance since being recalled. "I've gotta be ready every night," Ortio told the Calgary Herald on Wednesday for a report published Thursday. "As a backup, you can get tossed in at any point. You have to be prepared for that."

Canucks Projected Lineup

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Jannik Hansen

Sven Baertschi - Bo Horvat - Radim Vrbata

Alexandre Burrows - Linden Vey - Emerson Etem

Derek Dorsett - Jared McCann - Jake Virtanen

Ben Hutton - Christopher Tanev

Dan Hamhuis - Luca Sbisa

Matt Bartkowski - Alex Biega

Jacob Markstrom

Injured: Alexander Edler (fibula fracture), Brandon Sutter (fractured jaw)

Scratched: Yannick Weber, Adam Cracknell, Alex Friesen

FLAMES Projected Lineup

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Jiri Hudler

Joe Colborne - Mikael Backlund - Michael Frolik

Micheal Ferland - Sam Bennett - Josh Jooris

Lance Bouma - Matt Stajan - David Jones

Mark Giordano - TJ Brodie

Deryk Engelland - Dougie Hamilton

Tyler Wotherspoon - Jakub Nakladal

Jonas Hiller

Injured: Kris Russell (lower body), Ladislav Smid (upper body), Karri Ramo (torn ACL)

Scratched: Brandon Bollig, Markus Granlund

Suspended: Dennis Wideman

Team Stats

GP Record Home Road L10 G/GP GA/GP PP% PK% PIM/GP S/GP SA/GP FO%
Vancouver Canucks 57 22-23-12 9-13-5 13-10-7 3-6-1 2.30 2.79 17.1 80.9 10.2 28.6 31.6 45.2
Calgary Flames 56 25-28-3 16-13-0 9-15-3 4-6-0 2.70 3.05 15.7 73.3 7.7 28.9 29.1

I would love to see some lines juggled for tonights game, I just dont see that happening unfortunately. If Hiller plays well we lose, if he pulls a Hiller game he is prone to doing quit often we win.

Hudler is such a good with with johnny and sean I am surprised the flames would not try to resign him to a short term deal. Not sure who steps into that role and gels with them like he does. Flames are going to sell off a few pieces and add to their young players.

I hope Virtanen gets more ice tonight, vrbata with the twins would be ideal for me as well. We need to get that trio going and getting some points.

Looking for a good game from Markstrom, likely going to have to make some big saves for us to keep us in it. baer should NOT be taken off the 2nd line, He had a beauty PP goal last night.

I mainly hope to see us bring the effort level up another notch and play a full hard 60 min game.

It still amazes me how the Flames could be so bad..Their goaltending has been horrendous,but you've still got Monahan,Gaudreau,Bennett,Brodie,Gio,Hamilton..and they have not had any significant injuries.....This team should be higher in the standings than their record indicates..IMO

I think that the Canucks will show up for this one....Should be a good game.

2 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

It still amazes me how the Flames could be so bad..Their goaltending has been horrendous,but you've still got Monahan,Gaudreau,Bennett,Brodie,Gio,Hamilton..and they have not had any significant injuries.....This team should be higher in the standings than their record indicates..IMO

1704050871_4159905200001_bob-hartley-640

7 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I think that the Canucks will show up for this one....Should be a good game.

they dont have a legit #1 goalie who can win them games and be consistant almost nightly. They have good young forwards and a good defence.

9-1 flames. 

Vey plays the entire game 60 toi 

post game interviews

benning "we still think we're a play off team"

willie" we got so unlucky bounces"

the rest of them:    "we started slow but we feel we played a great 30 seconds at the end of the third."

Most fans "as long as no tradables get hurt its a win"

Archived