The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

4 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

watching Granlund play against the big boys just showed me how bad he really is. The guy has bad hockey iq and horrible just horrible strength. If he couldn't make team finland that should show us something as fans, which is cleary Calgary fleeced Benning in a trade that shouldn't have been made.

Granlund couldn't even make the 4th line, or even be a extra obviously finlands coaching saw something bad in Granlund's game, which is he can't win a board battle and is weak on the puck overall. Has zero skill other then a shot that he barely can use because guess what he doesn't have hockey iq.

Granlund might be a good person but hockey related he is just bad, just watch him next year- horrible trade.

This post is not any better than your others. I am becoming concerned about your always negative view point and ask- honestly- does this kind of negativity occur in everything you do or think? If so you truly may need to consult a medical professional, life is too short to wear a frown every single day of your life.

I say this as a man that suffers from depression, please talk to your doctor, it may save your life, or at least make it pleasant.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Too bad, things get a little worse this weekend...

Guess we won't be watching team Finalnd at all

I know I won't be :( Unless Mikael ropes me back in. 

5 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Granlund couldn't even make the 4th line, or even be a extra obviously finlands coaching saw something bad in Granlund's game, which is he can't win a board battle and is weak on the puck overall. Has zero skill other then a shot that he barely can use because guess what he doesn't have hockey iq. 

He has great hockey IQ- watch his positioning (his assist in Bartkowski's goal comes to mind). Give him a full season before passing judgment. 

3 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

watching Granlund play against the big boys just showed me how bad he really is. The guy has bad hockey iq and horrible just horrible strength. If he couldn't make team finland that should show us something as fans, which is cleary Calgary fleeced Benning in a trade that shouldn't have been made.

Granlund might be a good person but hockey related he is just bad, just watch him next year- horrible trade.

I'm with you on this one. He's small, he is useless at center because he can't win a faceoff to save his life and he adds little to nothing offensively. He has good hockey sense on the defensive end of the rink but that's about all he has to offer because he can't win board battles due to his size and doesn't contribute offensively. He's an ok 4th line player but not gritty or big enough to be a good 4th line player on an actual good team. So disconcerting that Benning looks at guys like this and thinks he is a player you can win a stanley cup with. Save the space for a rookie or a veteran presence in a leadership role. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/1/2016 at 11:38 AM, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

that just shows you how bad he really is, haha what a freaking jokee. Im pissed off at reading this, the guy is so bad that he can't even make team FINLAND wow. 

also remind me again why we traded our highly skilled forward for this guy>?

Finland has a deep roster dummy.

Let me know when Shinakruk gets a sniff at a world championship invite.

To even be considered for his national team shows that you have no idea what his talent level is.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2

On May 1, 2016 at 8:21 PM, gurn said:

This post is not any better than your others. I am becoming concerned about your always negative view point and ask- honestly- does this kind of negativity occur in everything you do or think? If so you truly may need to consult a medical professional, life is too short to wear a frown every single day of your life.

I say this as a man that suffers from depression, please talk to your doctor, it may save your life, or at least make it pleasant.

You go straight to hell, gurn. 

Desi, while a contrarian sonofagun, is a vital part of this forum. What he does is make people think, so screw you for blandly attacking his commenting with your own facile remarks. 

Also, if you're gonna joke about depression, at least make it worth dying for.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NameFaker said:

You go straight to hell, gurn.

Desi, while a contrarian sonofagun, is a vital part of this forum. What he does is make people think, so screw you for blandly attacking his commenting with your own facile remarks.

Also, if you're gonna joke about depression, at least make it worth dying for.

I never joke about mental health or depression, as I said I suffer from depression and it is no joke.

I have no problem with contrary opinions, just endless negativity, it can lead to bad places and thoughts.

But Why are you so riled up by a post you described as bland?

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think, like Bärtschi, he just needs to be given true time and space to develop. The same thing lots of upset fans said about Shinkaruk in Van (we didn't give him a chance) could be said about Granlund's time in Calgary.

Willie's goal of treating the fourth line like a development line rather than a grinding shutdown line should match up well with Granlund's skill set. Throw Baer and Virtanen on the wings and I think we've got an up and coming skill line producing some secondary scoring. I could see Granny potting 5-10 to goals over 15-20 points next season .

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

I think, like Bärtschi, he just needs to be given true time and space to develop. The same thing lots of upset fans said about Shinkaruk in Van (we didn't give him a chance) could be said about Granlund's time in Calgary.

I wouldn't be surprised if Granlund got benched for a game or two before December.

Canucks are lacking playmakers, so he's a good fit for now.  He is undersized, which will be a problem for him in the WC.  I have to admit that I was suprised that his defensive game wasn't bad.

He just turned 23 and only played 16 games with his new team, so I think we need to wait and see how he does next season. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I think a lot of people have labelled Granny as a career 3rd/4th defensive player, but I'm not entirely sure that's the case. I think he does have a play making, offensive upside that went relatively untapped due to his position on the depth charts in the Flames organization. Being stuck behind Monahana, Backlund and Bennett left Granlund with the defensive liabilitys of a skilled team. 

Granlund will be given 4th line minutes to start, and learn the basics of the NHL from Willie. Just like Bo, Baer, Virt and the rest of project kids Willie has been raising. By focusing on a simple defensive game he doesn't need to focus on offense and can just let it come naturally (much like Bo his first year). I think it's important to remember that in his brief stints with AHL clubs he was almost a point a game player, so he does have offensive instincts. 

The other beef I regularly hear about Granlund is that he's soft. I actually agree with that notion for the time being. The kid is still young, and at 6 foot tall does have the potential to pack on a lot more muscle and bulk up from the 170-175 he is currently playing at. His brother is several inches shorter, and 10 to 15 pounds heavier, so I'm confident that Granny has the ability to bulk over the next year or two and possibly reach a 185 or 190 playing weight. If he could manage that on a 6 foot frame that is a respectable figure to be playing at for his skill set. 

The final thing that excites me about Granny is 'the Benning factor'. I trust in Benning's scouting and his judgement on a players potential. I honestly don't think that Jim would trade a player who clearly had top 6 potential,  for a player that he didn't believe had that potential. We are obviously currently set in our top 3 centers. But the future does seem more uncertain with the McCann trade. I think that Granlund has the potential to be a top 6 forward if we don't pick up Dubois, or Stamkos. With a physical winger like Tkachuck or Virt, if his play making ability develops he could be an affective top 6 forward. Obviously his potential and ceiling is more likely a real good 3rd line center, but I think Benning at least projects Granny of having the potential to reach a higher ceiling. 

All in all I'm excited to watch our Finn develop over the next couple years into, what I can only hope, is a real good player

Dammit, I ran out of likes

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

I think a lot of people have labelled Granny as a career 3rd/4th defensive player, but I'm not entirely sure that's the case. I think he does have a play making, offensive upside that went relatively untapped due to his position on the depth charts in the Flames organization. Being stuck behind Monahana, Backlund and Bennett left Granlund with the defensive liabilitys of a skilled team. 

Granlund will be given 4th line minutes to start, and learn the basics of the NHL from Willie. Just like Bo, Baer, Virt and the rest of project kids Willie has been raising. By focusing on a simple defensive game he doesn't need to focus on offense and can just let it come naturally (much like Bo his first year). I think it's important to remember that in his brief stints with AHL clubs he was almost a point a game player, so he does have offensive instincts. 

The other beef I regularly hear about Granlund is that he's soft. I actually agree with that notion for the time being. The kid is still young, and at 6 foot tall does have the potential to pack on a lot more muscle and bulk up from the 170-175 he is currently playing at. His brother is several inches shorter, and 10 to 15 pounds heavier, so I'm confident that Granny has the ability to bulk over the next year or two and possibly reach a 185 or 190 playing weight. If he could manage that on a 6 foot frame that is a respectable figure to be playing at for his skill set. 

The final thing that excites me about Granny is 'the Benning factor'. I trust in Benning's scouting and his judgement on a players potential. I honestly don't think that Jim would trade a player who clearly had top 6 potential,  for a player that he didn't believe had that potential. We are obviously currently set in our top 3 centers. But the future does seem more uncertain with the McCann trade. I think that Granlund has the potential to be a top 6 forward if we don't pick up Dubois, or Stamkos. With a physical winger like Tkachuck or Virt, if his play making ability develops he could be an affective top 6 forward. Obviously his potential and ceiling is more likely a real good 3rd line center, but I think Benning at least projects Granny of having the potential to reach a higher ceiling. 

All in all I'm excited to watch our Finn develop over the next couple years into, what I can only hope, is a real good player

Granlund played mostly C2 to Bennett and Hudler.  He also played C3 with Hudler from mid-Jan onwards.  It's only towards the end of the season, when Granlund had already been moved, that Bennett played C.  Granlund was in an offensive role with zone starts of over 60%.

Edited by mll

• 2 weeks later...
On June 10, 2016 at 3:02 PM, Fakename70 said:

Need to see him beat Zalewski for the job first before I get excited. Actually, I wouldn't be upset if they both made the squad in that 4th line C role, but, it's Zalewski who I've got my eye on. 

Politics will come into play and Grandlund will be given a spot. If it was down to him and Zalekski, Canucks would keep Grandlund. They have invested a former 1st round pick for him.

• Upvote 1

Zalewski could be one of the first call ups unless like said he works harder for a spot or to be moved.Benning loves draft day and Trade deadline,so he has to make a couple deals so we free up spots and get more picks as he has traded away to many so far!