The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

8 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I don't always go in the player threads, but I figured it was time I posted in Granlund's. I wasn't a major fan of the trade that brought him in, even if I was a fan of the player. I felt even though he was a very hard working player who would be involved in a lot of plays I also worried about his offensive upside. He's really done well this year - hardly and all star or anything but contributing well from the wing.

He won't ever be a top offensive threat or a strong faceoff center, but he's been a good addition to this team.

I found the conversation about his brother Michael, in Minnie, during that recent game interesting. At 24 his game took off and he is now 16th in NHL scoring. At 23 I do not think we have seen Marcus Granland's upside. He has a deadly accurate shot.

When looking at many of the Canuck players I always consider how slow the overall team speed is. Horvat, Hansen, Megna and Skille have speed. Bring in younger, bigger and faster players and how well to the existing player's games improve. I suggest Granland would benefit in a big way.

3 hours ago, Shiftynifty said:

Would be great if he can consistently put up 35-40 points a year. Very smart player overall. 

He's on pace for that this year and seems to be clearly on the upswing in his young career...shouldn't be any reason he can't be closer to a 50 point guy if he's going to become the player he's starting to show flashes of

18 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Granlund , like Baertschi, just needed a change of scenery.. both were allowed absolute minimum opportunity to prove themselves with the Flames.  

Both had "game" when they got here,. just never allowed to prove it under Hartley. 

Here,. They were needed.

Hope Granlund shoots more often with the Sedins.. I mentioned when Granlund arrived that his numbers were about the same as Naslund before we got him from the Pens.. and he can shoot like him too.

With Granlund they simply lacked patience.  Hartley was raving about him.  When he got called up last season they started him at C2 mostly with Bennett and Hudler but as the season went on they moved him to C3 to the pressbox and then traded him.  They should have stuck with him a bit longer.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

i'm not sure if Granlund will be a perennial 20 goal scorer in the league. he's on pace for it. but he also hasn't racked up a ton of assists either. feels like he's the beneficiary and not necessarily driving the play. could be wrong. just my impression. if that's the case. then i wouldn't mind trading granlund and keeping honey badger. i'm gonna miss Hansen if he's gone. been the consummate professional and he's been a late bloomer offensively for sure. i hope he resigns with the Canucks once his contract is over. he's been very good for this franchise. 

15 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I found the conversation about his brother Michael, in Minnie, during that recent game interesting. At 24 his game took off and he is now 16th in NHL scoring. At 23 I do not think we have seen Marcus Granland's upside. He has a deadly accurate shot.

20 goals and 35 points is pretty decent for his first full NHL season, considering we'll likely only have 2 others to reach that many goals.  Mikael is now in his fourth NHL season and people in Minny up until this year were still unsure what they had in him.  His PPG actually dropped from .65 to .53 over those first three.

Markus is at .43 now and in a half season with Calgary was .38.  In their year in the AHL Mikael had .96 and Markus .88.  As valuable as he is, don't think there's any way we protect a 31-year-old over two young and still establishing and improving 24-year-olds.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

20 goals and 35 points is pretty decent for his first full NHL season, considering we'll likely only have 2 others to reach that many goals.  Mikael is now in his fourth NHL season and people in Minny up until this year were still unsure what they had in him.  His PPG actually dropped from .65 to .53 over those first three.

Markus is at .43 now and in a half season with Calgary was .38.  In their year in the AHL Mikael had .96 and Markus .88.  As valuable as he is, don't think there's any way we protect a 31-year-old over two young and still establishing and improving 24-year-olds.

You're probably right but it will be tough to see Hansen go. I thought he was an ideal transition vet for the young players to learn from. While I always assumed that Burrows would likely be gone I also had to pick protecting Sutter over Hansen as well.

14 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

If JB makes no trades, then Baer gets exposed.  

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If JB makes no trades, then Baer gets exposed.  

Doesn't make sense to me to expose Baer. He's a top six player, and those are hard to come by.

Granlund is good, but I'm still not convinced he's going to be consistent enough to be producing offensively down the road. He's having a good year this year, is this his career year? Or will he improve on his totals next season? 

Why can't Benning expose Sutter, and keep Hansen? 

23 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Doesn't make sense to me to expose Baer. He's a top six player, and those are hard to come by.

Granlund is good, but I'm still not convinced he's going to be consistent enough to be producing offensively down the road. He's having a good year this year, is this his career year? Or will he improve on his totals next season? 

You don't think LV would take Sutter? Or do you think we'd be fine without him in any event? 

14 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Sutter's a lot more valuable than Hansen at this stage. 

On 2/15/2017 at 6:10 AM, RyIe said:

Sutter's a lot more valuable than Hansen at this stage. 

Definitely. At this stage of the rebuild/retool/stealthtank/playoffrun or whatever we're calling it we need players in that mid-20s age to take off the pressure on our younger players. With guys like Boeser, Virtanen, and Gaudette transitioning into pro-level hockey in these next few years Sutter holds a lot more value than Hansen as he'll be able to play with the young guys for a longer period of time. 

With the play of Granlund this season, there is no question that management should protect him over Hansen. As loyal as Hansen is to this franchise hockey is at the end of the day a business. Hopefully management can trade Hansen to a team that won't expose him at the expansion draft and possibly even re-sign him once his current deal ends.

Besides, Granlund is a smart, skilled player that can shoot and pass and play well enough defensively. He's a much improved player and hopefully he can take that next step in his development and be a solid top-6 winger for the team.

Protected Forwards:

Henrik

Daniel

Eriksson

Horvat

Sutter

Baertschi

Granlund

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

There can't be any denying Benning CLEARLY won this trade, right?

Nope not for me.

I was po'ed and confused at the time but Benning said he thought he got a pretty good player and after a year I think he was right. Granlund has a really high skill level unlike few other forwards on this team.

• Upvote 1

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiRtKKXk6nSAhVP7GMKHZEnBMMQFgglMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdailyhive.com%2Fvancouver%2Fcanucks-win-granlund-shinkaruk-trade&usg=AFQjCNHq5eCb_FGOqxXY4RaNwW6Ag-ZB2Q&sig2=KFA6trpx7rlFrb2B4wgUpw

Nice little article. I'd say that behind Bo Horvart, Granlund has been our best forward and should be the Unsung Hero this season. He really does everything well. When you look for guys who can replace the likes Burrows and Hansen, guys who can play on any line with anyone, Granlund is that guy right now.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, cbdoubleu said:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiRtKKXk6nSAhVP7GMKHZEnBMMQFgglMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdailyhive.com%2Fvancouver%2Fcanucks-win-granlund-shinkaruk-trade&usg=AFQjCNHq5eCb_FGOqxXY4RaNwW6Ag-ZB2Q&sig2=KFA6trpx7rlFrb2B4wgUpw

Nice little article. I'd say that behind Bo Horvart, Granlund has been our best forward and should be the Unsung Hero this season. He really does everything well. When you look for guys who can replace the likes Burrows and Hansen, guys who can play on any line with anyone, Granlund is that guy right now.

His praise has been sung plenty. I vote Sutter as our unsung hero. Maybe Sbisa. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

His praise has been sung plenty. I vote Sutter as our unsung hero. Maybe Sbisa. 

I wouldn't disagree with either of those guys. Is there a Shut Up His Haters Most award for Sbisa?

Edited by cbdoubleu
Typo

On 2/22/2017 at 8:57 PM, GarthButcher5 said:

Nope not for me.

I was po'ed and confused at the time but Benning said he thought he got a pretty good player and after a year I think he was right. Granlund has a really high skill level unlike few other forwards on this team.

So we agree then.  Benning won the trade.  Plus, Granlund is not too old to fit with the Bo led, next core.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cbdoubleu said:

My boo definitely has my vote for unsung hero! Suttsy is a close second though. Idk about that Sbisa pick. He's good, but he ain't all that.