The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Where do you guys think Granlund fits in the lineup? I was thinking a spot with the Sedins, as I don't think he belongs in our bottom-six group. Then there is also Eriksson, Boeser, Vanek who will be fighting for the two right wing spots in our top six. Green may even juggle the lines and maybe put him with Horvat and Baertschi. It will be interesting for sure with so many forwards this year and an endless number of possible line combos you could have.

5 on 5 I see (like you) Granlund with the Twins.  I think Vanek will need to play with a defensive minded centre, so maybe Sutter?  Could the top two lines be:

Twins and Granlund?

Baer and Bo and Vanek?

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

5 on 5 I see (like you) Granlund with the Twins.  I think Vanek will need to play with a defensive minded centre, so maybe Sutter?  Could the top two lines be:

Twins and Granlund?

Baer and Bo and Vanek?

That is how I see it. Granlund would have been our leading goal scorer, if he wasn't injured. Now with him coming back 100%, he has a good chance to score 25-30 goals while playing with the Sedins. That may also improve the Sedins' game offensively.

5 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Granlund is our most skilled offensive player not including prospect IMO. He has elite skill just like his brother. If he plays a full season I predict he has a great year. Put him on any line and he makes that line better. One of Benning's best moves so far!

He had a solid season last year. As you pointed out he performed well on most any line he was on. Can handle the heavy going. Without injury could have had 50 points. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/09/2017 at 10:24 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

Highly skilled player who can play with grit and clearly can push through issues (one wrist for a lot of the season).  His ceiling is unknown as he was yet another in a long line of Flames "giving up too soon" prospect who had his development harmed by their system.   He seems to be the equal of his brother in terms of skating and hockey smarts - ceiling that high would be brilliant for Canucks.

Yeah, he was a great pickup.  I would say he's the most versatile player on the team as well.  C, RW or LW and can play on any line.  Looking forward to see him play without dealing with a wrist injury!

34 minutes ago, Violator said:

Shinkaruk was placed on waivers today this trade looks better and better

I remember the hate for the trade on CDC. Benning got owned, Shinkaruk was the top 6 forward this team needed, blah blah blah.

Thank goodness Benning parlayed him into an actual asset.

• Upvote 2

There is more to Granlund's game in all facet.  I've been happy with his steady progress at both ends of the ice, but what I want to see more from his game is grit.  I went to the Nashville game with my sister, and during that game, man Granlund was a thorn in the side of Victor Arvidsson and Calle Jarnkrok all night long.  Maybe its the Finnish-Swedish battle, but he was feisty during the game.  He was dishing out hits, he was agitating the two swedes, and was getting into net front battles/defensive zone battles with them.  Most notably during that game, he began to play bigger than his height really was.  You saw a confidence to play an abrasive style when it called for it, but the confidence he had with the puck as well. 

We need to extract more of that from Markus.   Give him some prime time minutes, I think there is more to his game than what meets the eye on TV

• Upvote 1

On 26/09/2017 at 9:58 AM, Violator said:

Shinkaruk was placed on waivers today this trade looks better and better

He cleared. We got Granlund for a player no NHL team wants on their roster. I have to admit, I was not thrilled about the trade when it happened. I'm very happy to be proven wrong.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

He cleared. We got Granlund for a player no NHL team wants on their roster. I have to admit, I was not thrilled about the trade when it happened. I'm very happy to be proven wrong.

Likewise.  I honestly didn't see the upside in Granlund's game, and after his first season here it only perpetuated that belief.

But last season he made huge strides.  Though he did gain an extra two minutes per game of ice time last season over the one prior, that's because he was actually contributing.  Even on a per minute basis he was far more productive, and that wasn't only when playing with the Sedins.  I hope last year was not an anomaly and he's able to continue developing even remotely at the same pace.  If so, he looks to be a minimum elite 3rd liner if not a solid 2nd liner.  Really - I am hoping and see him to be our next Hansen: Equally versatile, more dynamic, but just not quite as quick.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Likewise.  I honestly didn't see the upside in Granlund's game, and after his first season here it only perpetuated that belief.

But last season he made huge strides.  Though he did gain an extra two minutes per game of ice time last season over the one prior, that's because he was actually contributing.  Even on a per minute basis he was far more productive, and that wasn't only when playing with the Sedins.  I hope last year was not an anomaly and he's able to continue developing even remotely at the same pace.  If so, he looks to be a minimum elite 3rd liner if not a solid 2nd liner.  Really - I am hoping and see him to be our next Hansen: Equally versatile, more dynamic, but just not quite as quick.

Yeah I thought he was another one of those not quite skilled enough for the top 6, not quite gritty or defensive enough for the bottom 6 guys that are so plentiful. He has shown more skill, grit, and defensive awareness than I was willing to give him credit for in his first (half) season here.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Yeah I thought he was another one of those not quite skilled enough for the top 6, not quite gritty or defensive enough for the bottom 6 guys that are so plentiful. He has shown more skill, grit, and defensive awareness than I was willing to give him credit for in his first (half) season here.

Where does he fit on our team in three years, when the youth movement is in full motion? Is he an overpaid bottom six checker, or an under producing top six guy?  He sounds like a tweener, and that's why Calgary let him go for (pretty much) peanuts.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Where does he fit on our team in three years, when the youth movement is in full motion? Is he an overpaid bottom six checker, or an under producing top six guy?  He sounds like a tweener, and that's why Calgary let him go for (pretty much) peanuts.  

His play over the next three years will determine that. Does he build upon his achievements from last season or plateau? 19 goals from a guy who can play all forward positions and play in all three zones is pretty valuable.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MattJVD said:

His play over the next three years will determine that. Does he build upon his achievements from last season or plateau? 19 goals from a guy who can play all forward positions and play in all three zones is pretty valuable.

Agreed, and he will get a contract to show that.  Now, when we have more of the young guys pushing into the top six, where does Granlund fit?  Does he end up being an overpaid bottom six guy, negatively impacting our Cap, and ability to sign guys we really need?  That's why guys like Baer and Granny are moved from coming up teams, like Calgary did with both.  I just don't want JB to sign these kinds of players to longer term and big money.  I'd rather they were traded for ... pretty much peanuts.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed, and he will get a contract to show that.  Now, when we have more of the young guys pushing into the top six, where does Granlund fit?  Does he end up being an overpaid bottom six guy, negatively impacting our Cap, and ability to sign guys we really need?  That's why guys like Baer and Granny are moved from coming up teams, like Calgary did with both.  I just don't want JB to sign these kinds of players to longer term and big money.  I'd rather they were traded for ... pretty much peanuts.

I hope not, but it will depend on his next contract. Even in the 3+mil range I'd love to keep him as a middle 6 two-way guy capable of 20 goals and making plays. When we are pushing for the playoffs in a couple years his versatility will pay divendens when the inevitable injury bug hits.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I hope not, but it will depend on his next contract. Even in the 3+mil range I'd love to keep him as a middle 6 two-way guy capable of 20 goals and making plays. When we are pushing for the playoffs in a couple years his versatility will pay divendens when the inevitable injury bug hits.

Is he good on face-offs?  Is he good enough defensively to overcome his low point totals?  I like the guy, but don't think he's a long term fit.  I could accept him on a cheaper deal, where he does (as you point out) play up and down the line-up as injuries occur.  That's a good point.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is he good on face-offs?  Is he good enough defensively to overcome his low point totals?  I like the guy, but don't think he's a long term fit.  I could accept him on a cheaper deal, where he does (as you point out) play up and down the line-up as injuries occur.  That's a good point.

He is pretty weak on face-offs. I think we're on the same page, for the most part. Maybe I'm over-rating his offensive potential, time will tell. He's a player I'm keeping a close eye on this season.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I am not sure you are seeing the bigger picture of what Benning is tying to build. It's more than just amassing a bunch of 'elite' prospects and hoping they all develop on the same curve and in three years boom playoffs and more. It appears he wants to build a sustainable long term development plan where there is no lulls in terms of team performance. That if they lose someone that there is a rookie waiting in the wings to replace them and hopefully the team doesn't skip a beat. Nothing is certain but it seems like a better plan than say the old Oilers approach of sucking forever while waiting for a golden meal ticket to land in their laps.