The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

• 2 weeks later...

In case you didn't know Granlund creates high danger chances at an elite level.

5896697076a1d_Screenshot2017-02-0500_52_11.thumb.png.ec6598403ddd2424660921cd1d517395.png

Compared to the rest of the league:  There are some low minute players in there like Yakupov, McCann and Vermette, but overall his value is very high for the minutes he plays.

589669bbc28e9_Screenshot2017-02-0500_54_18.thumb.png.7b933943b25584a95758ec4eb9405898.png

Edited by Derp...
  • Upvote 1

On 2/4/2017 at 3:56 PM, Derp... said:

In case you didn't know Granlund creates high danger chances at an elite level.

5896697076a1d_Screenshot2017-02-0500_52_11.thumb.png.ec6598403ddd2424660921cd1d517395.png

Compared to the rest of the league:  There are some low minute players in there like Yakupov, McCann and Vermette, but overall his value is very high for the minutes he plays.

589669bbc28e9_Screenshot2017-02-0500_54_18.thumb.png.7b933943b25584a95758ec4eb9405898.png

That looks right about where I'd think Larsen should be

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Skated with the Sedins, set to play with them tonight as per TSN1040 - 02/09/17

Makes sense, has been the most constantly sharp shooter on the team this year. Would love to see him heat up and 100% force managements hand into protecting him this off season. I'm still worried that we could end up leaving Sbisa and Granny exposed, knowing we will keep one good player and loose another.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

What you see is what you get with Granlund.  Jim trades elite potential for average certainty, right?

It sure was amazing watching so many people close the book on this guy.

I guess JB is building a "certainly" average team?

Will be interesting to see if he can work with the Sedins, doesn't have Hansen speed, but is a very craft forecker. Probably enters the zone with control just as much as anyone else who has played with the twins.

I think this line could work. 

1 minute ago, Derp... said:

Will be interesting to see if he can work with the Sedins, doesn't have Hansen speed, but is a very craft forecker. Probably enters the zone with control just as much as anyone else who has played with the twins.

I think this line could work. 

I hope it works, but think all three of these guys are too slow to have any puck pursuit.  Hansen should be with the Twins.

Two Swedes and a Fin, have the Sedins ever played with a Fin before?  Jarkko Ruttuu?  Ah whatever.  My argument for the Shink/Granlund deal is if you lose Granny to expansion would you guys still considered it a good deal?

I seem to remember Granny looking pretty good with the Sedins during his short stint with them (maybe Calgary game?) when they were trying to find him the hatty. They all think the game at such a high level. I hope Markus sticks with own game though and doesn't succumb to the puck passing, perimeter cycle game. 

Grandlund didn't look out of place on the Sedin line while moving up to 215th in all time Canuck scoring with an assist.  He seemed to play the game he normally does.

214.  Doug Wickenheiser C 80 7 19 26
215.  Markus Granlund C 70 15 10 25
216.  Gerry Meehan C 57 10 15 25
218.  Scott Lachance D 157 4 21 25

9 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

What you see is what you get with Granlund.  Jim trades elite potential for average certainty, right?

It sure was amazing watching so many people close the book on this guy.

"Elite potential"?  First time I've heard Shinkaruk being described as having elite potential, though I guess there was some wishful thinking when Gillis drafted him 24th overall.  A late first rounder in the bantam draft (albeit his broken leg probably had a little something-something to do with this) and a late NHL first rounder hardly qualifies Shink as having elite potential.  I'm going bet that he's going to be a long shot to have a lasting NHL career, let alone realize his elite potential.

54 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

"Elite potential"?  First time I've heard Shinkaruk being described as having elite potential, though I guess there was some wishful thinking when Gillis drafted him 24th overall.  A late first rounder in the bantam draft (albeit his broken leg probably had a little something-something to do with this) and a late NHL first rounder hardly qualifies Shink as having elite potential.  I'm going bet that he's going to be a long shot to have a lasting NHL career, let alone realize his elite potential.

Shink was ranked as high as 9th by some scouts and he dropped largely because of his size I'd say. I believed Shinkaruk has elite potential, but as time has gone on, I'm starting to think it's a pretty long shot for him to actual realized that potential. Even if he makes it to the NHL full-time, I wouldn't bet on him being much more than a 20-goal guy at best.

• Upvote 1