The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

30 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Granlund with a little space has a deadly shot. He is developing a very consistent game.

Rarely does he take a shot that doesn't end up as a goal or rebound as well. Keeps the chances going, opposed to putting them into an area the goalie can trap or catch easily. Horvat also has this quality in a lot of his shots. 

16 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Rarely does he take a shot that doesn't end up as a goal or rebound as well. Keeps the chances going, opposed to putting them into an area the goalie can trap or catch easily. Horvat also has this quality in a lot of his shots. 

He's making a good case to be protected over Baer.  

Just now, Crabcakes said:

By exposing a soon to be 31 year old Jannik Hansen

True, but maybe a 31 year old Hansen is better than a 26 year old Baer?  Plus, Hansen should have good value at the 2018 TDL as a pure rental, because he will be a coming UFA.

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True, but maybe a 31 year old Hansen is better than a 26 year old Baer?  Plus, Hansen should have good value at the 2018 TDL as a pure rental, because he will be a coming UFA.

Baer turned 24 in October.  If you look forward a couple of years, the Sedin's will have lesser roles, Hansen will be off his peak (last year).....who is going to be top 6 when the Sedins retire?  Hint, it's not going to be Megna.  I see a free agent signing, but there are players on this roster who will be in their prime.

Baer Horvat Eriksson

F/A  Sutter Granlund

I'm not counting on Boeser yet (although it is possible)

Edited by Crabcakes

I think we should load up 1 line with our best goal scoring forwards once Bae is back.

Baertschi Horvat Granlund 18 mins (43 goals 43 assists)
Sedin Sedin Hansen 17 mins (28 goals 48 assists)
Burrows Sutter Eriksson 16 mins (33 goals 33 assists)
Boucher Chaput Skille/Megna 9 mins (9 goals 9 assists)

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Baer turned 24 in October.  If you look forward a couple of years, the Sedin's will have lesser roles, Hansen will be off his peak (last year).....who is going to be top 6 when the Sedins retire?  Hint, it's not going to be Megna.  I see a free agent signing, but there are players on this roster who will be in their prime.

Baer Horvat Eriksson

F/A  Sutter Granlund

I'm not counting on Boeser yet (although it is possible)

Tavares is a free agent the same summer the Twin's contracts expire. ::D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

Just dropped in to say, I like this kid more and more. The fact that he can be effective with the Sedins show that he has an extremely high hockey IQ.

Good job JB!

Granlund , like Baertschi, just needed a change of scenery.. both were allowed absolute minimum opportunity to prove themselves with the Flames.  

Both had "game" when they got here,. just never allowed to prove it under Hartley. 

Here,. They were needed.

Hope Granlund shoots more often with the Sedins.. I mentioned when Granlund arrived that his numbers were about the same as Naslund before we got him from the Pens.. and he can shoot like him too.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Granlund , like Baertschi, just needed a change of scenery.. both were allowed absolute minimum opportunity to prove themselves with the Flames.  

Both had "game" when they got here,. just never allowed to prove it under Hartley. 

Here,. They were needed.

Hope Granlund shoots more often with the Sedins.. I mentioned when Granlund arrived that his numbers were about the same as Naslund before we got him from the Pens.. and he can shoot like him too.

I hope you are right in this assessment because I really like Granlund and I do see a lot of skill... but I've gotta be honest, it's kind of hard to believe this because Naslund could shoot almost as well as Sakic.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, khay said:

I hope you are right in this assessment because I really like Granlund and I do see a lot of skill... but I've gotta be honest, it's kind of hard to believe this because Naslund could shoot almost as well as Sakic.

Coach Mike Keenan was actually the one who pushed Naslund into his strengths,. because he saw them.

Personally,.. I think WDesjadins only rewards players, and doesn't play to strengths, or weaknesses, his priority is to win, not teach.

Most of our prospects are learning through themselves.

I don't always go in the player threads, but I figured it was time I posted in Granlund's. I wasn't a major fan of the trade that brought him in, even if I was a fan of the player. I felt even though he was a very hard working player who would be involved in a lot of plays I also worried about his offensive upside. He's really done well this year - hardly and all star or anything but contributing well from the wing.

He won't ever be a top offensive threat or a strong faceoff center, but he's been a good addition to this team.

37 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I don't always go in the player threads, but I figured it was time I posted in Granlund's. I wasn't a major fan of the trade that brought him in, even if I was a fan of the player. I felt even though he was a very hard working player who would be involved in a lot of plays I also worried about his offensive upside. He's really done well this year - hardly and all star or anything but contributing well from the wing.

He won't ever be a top offensive threat or a strong faceoff center, but he's been a good addition to this team.

I agree and am in a similar boat. I thought we gave too much to get Granny and the end of last season seemed to cement that in my mind. However, it seems I sold him short and he's begun to capitalize on the potential he has. I see him as a career middle six forward, not a bad career path at all.

• Upvote 1