The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

Some *objective* Granlund stats:

Since the Canucks faced the Flames in the beginning of a home-and-home series on January 6 of this year, Granlund has scored 18 points in 28 games, good for 0.64 points per game.

Of those 18 points, 12 of them were goals (good for 0.43 goals per game).

If Granlund were to maintain this scoring rate (0.64ppg) over 82 games he would have 35 goals and 52 points.

Something to note: within this 28-game stretch Granlund has been sidelined once with the mumps on February 25 and once with food poisoning on March 11. Since being sidelined with the mumps and including the food poisoning incident Granlund has maintained his scoring and has 6 points in 8 games.

Also, from the start of the season to that January 6 game against the Flames Granlund played in 40 games and recorded just 14 points, producing at a rate of 0.35 points per game. Breaking it down, he got off to a hot start with 3 points in his first 5 games of this season. He then had 1 point in his next 10 games. He then had 10 points in his next 25 games after that, leading right up into the January 6 game against the Flames.

Since Granlund played his first game in the NHL he's struggled with consistency. When we traded for him Flames fans were saying he would be lights out for a 5 game stretch and then disappear for the next 20 (I'm paraphrasing here but you get the point). That said, Granlund has produced at every level he's played in. From his Finnish U20 team, the Liiga, the World Junior Championships, and in the AHL Granlund has shown that he can be a high level scorer. I remember thinking last year that if Granlund could learn the pro game and play with consistency he could be a really good top-6 scorer. So far, in my opinion of course, in this 28 game stretch Granlund has consistently been one of our better forwards. Definitely right up there with Horvat and Baertschi. If he can finish off the remaining 12 games maintaining a 0.64 points per game scoring rate then it would be a huge accomplishment for him and his confidence. Give him belief that he can not only produce at this level but produce consistently.. game in and game out.

Edited by Blömqvist

1 minute ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

How competitive are the Granlund brothers? like the other brother combo we have?

Back home in the summer, Mikael will have the bragging rights this year but what about next year?

In interviews Markus and Mikael both have repeatedly said they are not competitive and don't even talk about hockey with each other, although they speak pretty frequently. Markus definitely seems pretty indifferent to his brother's success and more focused on making his own name.

Years back their mom told one of the Calgary coaches that living in Mikael's shadow kinda pissed Markus off, and that he wanted to prove their was another Granlund. He was still a teen at the time though. 

On 3/17/2017 at 8:31 AM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Really his worst 'trade' was not giving up Hammer for scraps last season and tanking in the last ten games to get Mathews.  R has learned the error of his ways and did very well at the TDL this year. 

EW

It could be argued that by not being bent over by Nill last year that it helped with the returns this year.  The team couldn't have played much worse down the stretch last season either, and we'll likely see a mirroring of it now.

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

It could be argued that by not being bent over by Nill last year that it helped with the returns this year.  The team couldn't have played much worse down the stretch last season either, and we'll likely see a mirroring of it now.

I think that's a huge jump people try to stretch.  Market value isn't based on the past, it's base on the demand.   Burrows increased that value by playing strong this season.  

I'll be honest. I didn't think Granlund would be close to a 20 goal scorer this season. There was no previous indication that he would or could even score 20, let alone in his first full season in the NHL. now, wether this is his career high (i hope not), is yet to be seen. Hoping that next season, he takes another jump in his game. 25-26 goals, perhaps? And 40-45 points? I'll take that for his full second year! 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'll be honest. I didn't think Granlund would be close to a 20 goal scorer this season. There was no previous indication that he would or could even score 20, let alone in his first full season in the NHL. now, wether this is his career high (i hope not), is yet to be seen. Hoping that next season, he takes another jump in his game. 25-26 goals, perhaps? And 40-45 points? I'll take that for his full second year! 

There was plenty of indicators for anyone paying attention.

- 5 goals (and 12 points) in 6 games at the WJC's.

- Then 39 goals in his 85 AHL games.

- Then 14 goals in his first 86 NHL games with the Flames, despite spending most of it buried in the bottom-6.

Granlund has shown the makings of a top-6 offensive player throughout his career. All the people in love with Shinkaruk tried to downplay his abilities, but he has really demolished Shink at every level. Doesn't surprise me at all to see MK doing this well.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

- Then 14 goals in his first 86 NHL games with the Flames, despite spending most of it buried in the bottom-6.

Granlund has shown the makings of a top-6 offensive player throughout his career. All the people in love with Shinkaruk tried to downplay his abilities, but he has really demolished Shink at every level. Doesn't surprise me at all to see MK doing this well.

I could see the potential, but his play in the NHL last year with the Canucks was extremely lacklustre and left me doubting his ability to translate his skill to the NHL level. I came into the season expecting around 10 goals and 20 points from Granlund this year.

17 minutes ago, D-Money said:

yeah. thanks for the statistics. 

unfortunately, i didn't follow him during his WJC days. 

he was used primarily as a bottom six guy in calgary, which is why i figured he might not have top six potential. 

but benning surprised me with this trade. it was a risk, and a gamble to be sure. but seems like it's working out for us, so far. 

i think shink definitely has a higher ceiling than granlund does, if he ever makes it to the big show. 

13 minutes ago, D-Money said:

He mostly played on the 2nd line in Calgary - a lot with Hudler and Bennett in his last year and even had Gaudreau as linemate the season before.  They gave him a lot of opportunity in an offensive role and they felt he wasn't panning out and that's why they moved on.  They should have been a bit more patient.  

35 minutes ago, mll said:

He mostly played on the 2nd line in Calgary - a lot with Hudler and Bennett in his last year and even had Gaudreau as linemate the season before.  They gave him a lot of opportunity in an offensive role and they felt he wasn't panning out and that's why they moved on.  They should have been a bit more patient.  

i'm glad we were more patient with him, though, knowing our fanbase, it wouldn't be long before we began throwing him under the bus and calling him a "bust" 

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think that's a huge jump people try to stretch.  Market value isn't based on the past, it's base on the demand.   Burrows increased that value by playing strong this season.  

Of course, but the point is Benning was right not to bend over to Nill and create a precedent.  You simply cannot attain the reputation of someone who makes desperation moves and is willing to "take anything just to get something" without losing respect and bargaining power.  Kids playing board games know this well enough, and will go after and exploit the weak player.

8 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Of course, but the point is Benning was right not to bend over to Nill and create a precedent.  You simply cannot attain the reputation of someone who makes desperation moves and is willing to "take anything just to get something" without losing respect and bargaining power.  Kids playing board games know this well enough, and will go after and exploit the weak player.

That's what I'm saying there is no precedent.  Ott wanted burrows, there was approx 10 teams interested in him, and they came up with the best offer,  Hamhuis not getting moved literally had zero effect future value.  

Just think about it, if canucks did move hammer for a 3rd.  Does that mean Ott becomes willing to walk away from a player they really want just because they can't get away from a low ball offer? No, because if they don't pony up they don't get the player.  It's a simple as that.  

Do we really believe that Dorion looks back to the previous trade deadline where canucks tried to move a D with only two teams on his NTC list, and sends canucks a offer based on that?  No the offer Ott sends is based on their internal demand, the league demand, and the league supply, nothing to do with Hamhuis.

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

That's a good point.  I remember discussion after the Hamhuis non trade in 2016, and some of the "so called" experts on the radio said that JB's not giving in on the Hamhuis deal could help him in future deals.  Looking at the return he got for Hansen and Burrows, maybe it's true?

12 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

FWIW, it was reportedly a 6th.  But point stands -- unless it is someone you have to move (e.g. Kassian) you do NOT simply throw away assets for "anything you can get."

The original offer was what they offered the flames. 

the Canucks had a trade in place to send Hamhuis to Dallas in exchange for a “similar” package the Stars eventually sent to Calgary for Kris Russell.

"The deal was taken to Canucks ownership. Ownership requested more. The Stars rejected that request and made the trade with the Flames," Willes writes. "Dallas then came back to the Canucks with a lesser offer for Hamhuis — believed to be a draft pick in 2017 — but were turned down."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-trade-rumours-deadline-vancouver-canucks-dan-hamhuis-eriksson-jonathan-drouin-radim-vrbata-parenteau-hartnell-stars/

But in the end Canucks eneded up with nothing and something is more than nothing. Just ask JB about the 5th round pick Gillis got for moving Diaz. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

I live in Calgary, and get lots of information on the Flames (whether I want it or not). Granlund was usually a bottom-6 player for Hartley, and not given much in the way of offensive opportunities. He may have spent time with Hudler and Bennett, but that was more of a 3rd line at the time. In his last season with the Flames, Granlund averaged 12:57 of TOI/game; 25 seconds of PP/game, and 1:08 SH/game. Very similar numbers as what Burrows was getting this season for us.

It wasn't his fault, really. Flames already had lots of young offensive players in the top-6: Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Backlund, etc. They just didn't have room for another creative offensive player, so they tried to deploy Granlund as more of a defensive player. He was decent in that role, but it is becoming clear that the Flames were selling short his offensive abilities.

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I live in Calgary, and get lots of information on the Flames (whether I want it or not). Granlund was usually a bottom-6 player for Hartley, and not given much in the way of offensive opportunities. He may have spent time with Hudler and Bennett, but that was more of a 3rd line at the time. In his last season with the Flames, Granlund averaged 12:57 of TOI/game; 25 seconds of PP/game, and 1:08 SH/game. Very similar numbers as what Burrows was getting this season for us.

It wasn't his fault, really. Flames already had lots of young offensive players in the top-6: Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Backlund, etc. They just didn't have room for another creative offensive player, so they tried to deploy Granlund as more of a defensive player. He was decent in that role, but it is becoming clear that the Flames were selling short his offensive abilities.

I know his numbers - he was listed as the 2nd line until he was demoted to the 3rd then to the pressbox.   You can probably easily find their opening lineups - they always post them on their website.  There are also several websites that compile lines and regular linemates.  

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The original offer was what they offered the flames. 

the Canucks had a trade in place to send Hamhuis to Dallas in exchange for a “similar” package the Stars eventually sent to Calgary for Kris Russell.

"The deal was taken to Canucks ownership. Ownership requested more. The Stars rejected that request and made the trade with the Flames," Willes writes. "Dallas then came back to the Canucks with a lesser offer for Hamhuis — believed to be a draft pick in 2017 — but were turned down."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-trade-rumours-deadline-vancouver-canucks-dan-hamhuis-eriksson-jonathan-drouin-radim-vrbata-parenteau-hartnell-stars/

But in the end Canucks eneded up with nothing and something is more than nothing. Just ask JB about the 5th round pick Gillis got for moving Diaz. 

Willis is wrong -- Canucks gave Dallas the offer, which they took and shopped to Calgary because Russell was the guy they wanted all along.  They simply used Vancouver to get a solid offer.  That came straight from Linden, so you can believe whomever you wish.  I HIGHLY doubt ownership gets involved with the valuations of a deadline rental deal, especially when it frees up salary, as if they have any idea of player values in the first place.  Signing an Eriksson or trading a Kesler, yes likely.

I know you believe "anything is better than nothing" but that's not the way business is done, especially in pro sports and and it's exemplified by teams all the time.

Looks like Granlund is out for the rest of the season. Wrist surgery.

Benning stated that he's had an ongoing wrist injury that they've been treating with regular maintenance. Makes what he's done this season that much more impressive imo.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 1