The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TankNation Final Stretch Schedules and Predictions

70seven

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's okay to disagree.  Not all eyes see A picture the same way.  You see the one top three pick left on their roster from their own draft.  I see the assets acquired from their other top three pick as an integral part of their Cup team.  IMHAO, we are seeing the picture, only from slightly different angles.  

I expect we we can agree the .canucks need two pieces of elite talent that we don't have. 

How about Boston? How many #1 or #2 draft picks did they have?

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

If Arizona is picking top 5 and we win the 1st overall

I still dangle Matthews to them for a massive ransom.  Draft our D man with their 1st round this year and enjoy Strome or Domi in to our lineup as well

I was thinkin the exact same thing. You just know the Coyote`s would love to get Mathews in the fold. The Marketing potential alone should be worth Strome + at least.

Strome + OEL

for

Mathews + Edler

28 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

Here are some stats.....in the twenty years 1991-2010....the chance of drafting an all star for the pick range:

1-5....49%      6-10....18%      11-15....25%      16-20....8%

And there it is...

Geez reading the last few pages of this thread has made me want to pound my head into my keyboard. 

I can't even understand the mind that thinks having a higher draft pick this year is a bad thing. The season is a write off and us winning at this point does 0 to help this team in the future. Getting a potential elite talent by us losing and having a high draft pick...DOES HELP US IN THE FUTURE!

Why on God's green earth are people going after the actually smart fans that realize right now our best future help...comes from us losing?

This isn't saying we should be happy with always losing. It's realizing that short term pain (crappy season or two) means we will have a better future. 

Most of the cup contenders the last few years all were horrible previously and built up high end talent by drafting high. 

Penguins got Crosby 

Caps got Ovie

Chicago for Kane and Toews

Islanders got Tavares 

Lightening got Stamcos

...and the list goes on. 

Almost every great tream now was crappy for years until they got a few stars by drafting high. 

Thats what we are looking for as Canuck fans this year. Drafting the next Kane or Toews. 

Winning in the NOW does not help us. How hard is this to grasp?

2 minutes ago, <DarkGhost> said:

And there it is...

Geez reading the last few pages of this thread has made me want to pound my head into my keyboard. 

I can't even understand the mind that thinks having a higher draft pick this year is a bad thing. The season is a write off and us winning at this point does 0 to help this team in the future. Getting a potential elite talent by us losing and having a high draft pick...DOES HELP US IN THE FUTURE!

Why on God's green earth are people going after the actually smart fans that realize right now our best future help...comes from us losing?

This isn't saying we should be happy with always losing. It's realizing that short term pain (crappy season or two) means we will have a better future. 

Most of the cup contenders the last few years all were horrible previously and built up high end talent by drafting high. 

Penguins got Crosby 

Caps got Ovie

Islanders got Tavares 

Lightening got Stamcos

...and the list goes on. 

Almost every great tream now was crappy for years until they got a few stars by drafting high. 

Thats what we are looking for as Canuck fans this year. Drafting the next Kane or Toews. 

11268919.jpg

tell that to this guy lol

5 hours ago, Gretzky to Lemieux said:

Im pretty sure we wouldn't get OEL if we have the 1st overall pick, let alone OEL, Arizonas 1st, and Domi/Duclair

I would bet Mathews could get OEL easily and Strome to boot. The guy`s from Arizona. He is projected to be better than Eichel according to some and... He`s from Arizona. That has NEVER happened and may never happen again.

3 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

Man, it was all 'We need Matthews' earlier in the season and now you guys are talking about trading him.

You don't trade a Matthews.

haha they are drinking the benning cool aid of win now with the Sedin's even though the twins are showing they are declining, and we can rely on Old man miller to win us a stanely cup. Even though he has shown he lets the odd bad goal in against elite teams. lol

its better to build for the future, demko, horvat, prospect a, prospect b, etc etc.

I get the idea of dealing matthews.  theres many holes on the club, and this franchise hasnt ever had a number 1 D with a bullet.  OEL is Norris caliber.  Having him on that back end instantly evolves this teams offence far more than Matthews would.  If you can add that piece AND get a first line C prospect in Strome, youd still have to consider it.  Lots including myself think thats a silly price for Arizona to pay, but the fact remains Matthews could be the best player to come out of that state, and to go to his home town thats got plenty of other young guns.  THeres a chance that the higher ups come in and say do whatever you have to do to get him.  Imagine they walk away with Matthews and Tkachuk...

Meanwhile Van gets a stud 19 year old #1 C prospect who seems primed for the NHL and a 24 year old, 20 goal, 60 point Norris level Dman....  This is a deal you make if its there.  Matthews is going to be solid but hes not worth more than a 1D and 1C.   Folks here are seriously undervaluing OEL and Strome lol.

37 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I get the idea of dealing matthews.  theres many holes on the club, and this franchise hasnt ever had a number 1 D with a bullet.  OEL is Norris caliber.  Having him on that back end instantly evolves this teams offence far more than Matthews would.  If you can add that piece AND get a first line C prospect in Strome, youd still have to consider it.  Lots including myself think thats a silly price for Arizona to pay, but the fact remains Matthews could be the best player to come out of that state, and to go to his home town thats got plenty of other young guns.  THeres a chance that the higher ups come in and say do whatever you have to do to get him.  Imagine they walk away with Matthews and Tkachuk...

Meanwhile Van gets a stud 19 year old #1 C prospect who seems primed for the NHL and a 24 year old, 20 goal, 60 point Norris level Dman....  This is a deal you make if its there.  Matthews is going to be solid but hes not worth more than a 1D and 1C.   Folks here are seriously undervaluing OEL and Strome lol.

Id dance in the street naked in a snowstom if we got that deal.

6 hours ago, two drink minimum said:

I would bet Mathews could get OEL easily and Strome to boot. The guy`s from Arizona. He is projected to be better than Eichel according to some and... He`s from Arizona. That has NEVER happened and may never happen again.

Trust me...Matthews couldn't even get OEL himself let alone OEL plus strome

23 hours ago, 70seven said:

Edmonton - 65 pts  (8 Remaining...  Projection 3-5   72 pts)

Home Games

vs Colorado, Anaheim, Calgary, Vancouver

Away Games

at Arizona, LA, SJ, Vancouver

Vancouver - 66 pts (11 Remaining...   Projection  3-6    72 pts)

Home Games

vs Chicago, SJ, LA, Edmonton

Away Games

at Winnipeg, Nashville, St Louis, SJ, Anaheim, Edmonton, Calgary

Your math doesn't add up.  If oilers get 12 point in their 8, they only ended with 71 points, not 72.

Also Canucks have 11 games left yet you only predicted us a 9 game record (3-6)...

Finally to update this thread, oilers only have 7 games remaining while Canucks still have 11,.

If canucks finish 4-7 (74 points) Oilers will need to finished the year with a 5-2 record.  Canucks will need to basically lose out the rest of the season to finish in bottom 3.

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

If we can just get a top three pick, we get one of those three elite skilled - obvious - first line guys.  I think we will still need one more. How do we get that second (Twin) so to speak?  

If you listen to the post-game comments the other day on TV, they are suggesting that this is the summer the twins, themselves, are moved, which might mean a top 10 pick or two.  I think they will retire here, but the commentator -- can't remember which one -- said that it might happen: good for the team, good for the players.  TL is friends with the Sedins -- great mutual affection -- so the thought was that this unusual solution might actually be doable because of the unusually good relationship of all concerned.  Not sure.  

Hamhuis's value is not there for a top 3 pick, nor Hansen, nor even the two together. Throwing in Edler and a prospect (McCann?) might help, or not.  

If we win the lottery (lol) then trading down with a team to get Laine and then mixing in other maneuvers might free up another pick, but can you imagine the three-way trading you'd have to do to get both Finns lol.  This would have to be done after the lottery sequence is settled of course.  I've forgotten: is there much time between the lottery selection process and the time you have to make your picks?

A Domi plus Laine for Matthews in an Arizona trade? Might that be enough?  Or a trade combo that gets us a 2nd  or third pick and a 7th?  Not sure.  We need so much.  I wish I knew how good Matthews is.  Crow says he's the real deal though. (Get Crow to come with Matthews?  Make his transition easier?)

2 hours ago, Gretzky to Lemieux said:

Trust me...Matthews couldn't even get OEL himself let alone OEL plus strome

Yes he could.  OEL was on the trading block last TD, he's not untouchable.  Coyotes need to sell tickets.  Generational players do that. Ovi saved the caps, Sid saved the Pens, and Matthews has top level talent.  Not to mention he's a home town kid.   The price tag for Matthews would be extremely high.  8th overall (Nylander), Kadri and gardiner couldn't get ekblad. 

3 minutes ago, gameburn said:

If you listen to the post-game comments the other day on TV, they are suggesting that this is the summer the twins, themselves, are moved, which might mean a top 10 pick or two.  I think they will retire here, but the commentator -- can't remember which one -- said that it might happen: good for the team, good for the players.  TL is friends with the Sedins -- great mutual affection -- so the thought was that this unusual solution might actually be doable because of the unusually good relationship of all concerned.  Not sure.  

Hamhuis's value is not there for a top 3 pick, nor Hansen, nor even the two together. Throwing in Edler and a prospect (McCann?) might help, or not.  

If we win the lottery (lol) then trading down with a team to get Laine and then mixing in other maneuvers might free up another pick, but can you imagine the three-way trading you'd have to do to get both Finns lol.  This would have to be done after the lottery sequence is settled of course.  I've forgotten: is there much time between the lottery selection process and the time you have to make your picks?

A Domi plus Laine for Matthews in an Arizona trade? Might that be enough?  Or a trade combo that gets us a 2nd  or third pick and a 7th?  Not sure.  We need so much.  I wish I knew how good Matthews is.  Crow says he's the real deal though. (Get Crow to come with Matthews?  Make his transition easier?)

I heard that on the radio, and it does nothing but frustrate me when this conversation gets brought up.  People with there heads in the sky thinking the twins will get us this massive return.  For some reason people believe the return we'd get would be something a team could build around.....(Not to take it out on you) but..

Sedins are next to impossible to move.  The have NMC which basically writes out any non contending team (= picks in the 22-30 range).  Not only do the twins have to agree on the team, somehow this team will need to take on 14 mill in cap space.  You can go back over the last few years and look at all the players in similar situations, in a similar age groups, and see that no team hit a home run top prospect/draft pick

Now you consider the expansion draft and the amount of players that will have to be protected. and there is zero market for the twins (unless we are comfortable getting a really poor return)

8 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Wow, excellent post.  You have a lot of the same ideas and questions that I do.  We do need A LOT, as you say.  If we look at losing the Twins, what do we have?

Bo, Baer, 

Sutter, (This year's top pick?)

Vey, Etem

Granlund, Dorsett

Gaunce

i see McCann and Virtanen in the minors next season. 

Can we expect anything other than last place with these forwards? 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wow, excellent post.  You have a lot of the same ideas and questions that I do.  We do need A LOT, as you say.  If we look at losing the Twins, what do we have?

Bo, Baer, 

Sutter, (This year's top pick?)

Vey, Etem

Granlund, Dorsett

Gaunce

i see McCann and Virtanen in the minors next season. 

Can we expect anything other than last place with these forwards? 

Talk about trial by fire.  That is a sobering reality check...  But if the twins were moved (which is unlikely) we'd have one more player?  I just don't see them being moved, even if we retained salary in the 3 million each range.

What is sobering about your list, is that this is what the team is going to have to look like if it doesn't get the Tank/selection process right.  We need a Laine or Chychrun this year, AND a similar quality player next year to get things rolling.... and even then we are talking about 2.5 years away.   Which is when the Sedins retire/make a decision.  

The Canucks finish the season in 29th position. 

If they get the first overall pick, take Matthews.  This will be the first time in franchise history, 44 years,  that they would pick first.  I don't  think any other team has had to wait so long to get a first overall pick.

If they pick 2nd or 3rd, then try to trade down to the 5th or 6th position.  There will still be some very talented, possibly elite players available and it makes sense to take advantage of other teams desperation to move up.  Trading up always appears desperate, trading down appears strong.  I don't expect that they will be able to trade down because it is so difficult to swing that kind of deal but who knows.

10 hours ago, <DarkGhost> said:

And there it is...

Penguins got Crosby 

Caps got Ovie

Islanders got Tavares 

Lightening got Stamcos

...and the list goes on. 

Of those teams, only Chicago, and Pittsburgh has won a cup. Or a 40% chance. (2 out of 5). Getting good draft picks and the best players you can is great. But getting first overall multiple times, but having a loser team like Edmonton isn't good either.

There is no easy, sure thing way to win a Stanley Cup. You need a balanced attack, guys who can hit and forecheck (not drop the gloves but that's good if you can do that), and a rock solid defence, and timely goaltending. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks have to be good, and you have to find those gems in the draft along with your 1st rounders.  You also need a bit of luck, and to be able to perform through injuries. 

Archived