The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Trading 1st Overall

If we win the lottery, it will be interesting to see what the "offers" are for the 1st overall, as you know there will be some.

Arizona will be unusually motivated to acquire the 1st overall, as Matthews is probably the 1st player ever to come out of Arizona and be chosen 1st overall (or even anywhere high in the draft).  A local boy would be huge for their future, and they should be prepared to overpay for it.  Maybe they won't give up OEL, but they have lots of good prospects, and I could see them offering some combo of picks plus Strome/Dvorak/Domi/Duclair/Stone/Murphy.   Lots of different combos they could offer.

That said, I wouldn't be happy trading the 1st overall pick down to a 9th or 10th pick.  They'd really have to blow our socks off to get the Canucks to accept.  I think it would be much more plausible if Arizona also won the lottery and was picking at #2 or #3.  Then it could get really interesting.

i'm not sold on Matthews. i just can't.

sure he performs well in swiss league but 2 days older and he would have finished 3-5th in 2015 draft.

i  would  not be against Matthews to AZ for Domi and their 1st (draft Sergachev), even consider Domi, OEL + 2nd for Matthews if they go out of top 10.

1 minute ago, canucklehead44 said:

Arizona will not trade OEL. I think if we end up with first overall I doubt we trade it. 

They will ABSOLUTELY offer OEL, and we will say MORE.  To get Matthews they will have to pay: OEL + their first + ? 

3 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Of course they are not going to say they will trade a player.  What do you expect?  Yes we will trade what ever it takes to get that first pick.  :lol:

"The coach is safe.  We are not making a coaching change."  What comes next?

I was thinking of making a proposal of other teams packages we could get for the 1st overall, but wanted to wait until we jump that 2 point gap into last. Anyway here's the packages I would expect back from bottom ten teams (because they'd probably all offer a ton for Matthews).

To Toronto: 1st overall                                      

Hansen                                          

To Vancouver: J. van Riemsdyk

2nd overall (take Puljujarvi)                               

Jared Cowen  

2nd round pick 2016

To Edmonton: 1st overall 

To Vancouver: Nugent-Hopkins

3rd overall (Puljujarvi or Laine, whoevers there)

To  Columbus: 1st overall

Burrows (15% retained)

(Conditional) pick

To Vancouver: 4th overall (take Chychrun)

Sonny Milano

Jenner

Dansk

(Condition to this trade is also that CBJ has to give us the Tortorella compensation 2nd round pick this year, (they                have the choice of giving us a 2nd in 16,17, or 18.)

To Flames: 1st overall

To Vancouver: 5th overall (CBJ will likely take M. Tkachuk or A. Nylander at 4th so take Chychrun here.)

Shinkaruk  

1st 2017

Jooris 

Rights to Jankowski

(Conditional pick if Jankowski doesn't sign)

The last trade may seem a tad unrealistic, but the Flames want Matthews bad too with where they've been in the standings all year.

They can move Bennett from C to LW to make room for Matthews but Matthews also plays RW, it's not crazy to take back Shinkaruk, young scoring wingers who are struggling to produce have been moved and brought back before. See below..

Former 14th overall pick Zach Boychuk was waived by the Canes, claimed by the Preds, waived by the Preds, claimed by the Pens, waived by the Pens, and then Carolina claimed him back and still has him in the system.  Jeremy Morin was picked up by Chicago in 2010 in the Byfuglien to Atlanta deal, then traded to Columbus in 2014, then traded back to Chicago this past summer. He's now gone through the Leafs too and is now currently a Shark but it shows young prospects can be re-acquired. Corban Knight was drafted in the 5th round by FLA in 2009, traded to CGY in 2013 for a 4th, then traded back to FLA for Drew Shore. 

Anyways we also get Jooris who is blossoming into a solid up and down top nine forward with top six upside, he's been in one of our prospects camps before, and he had some chemistry with Granlund in Calgary. And potentially a legit offensive producer in Jankowski who Weisbrod is very familiar with,  and we get a 1st that we could shop for more picks in this years draft maybe.

46 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

i'm not sold on Matthews. i just can't.

sure he performs well in swiss league but 2 days older and he would have finished 3-5th in 2015 draft.

i  would  not be against Matthews to AZ for Domi and their 1st (draft Sergachev), even consider Domi, OEL + 2nd for Matthews if they go out of top 10.

I agree (I think). 

That is, I am not sure Matthews is the sure-fire #1 center, et cetera, that the more frequent posters here seem to be saying he is.

He is, as you say, so close to the cut-off age-wise, that he has almost a year more experience as well as physical development time.

I don't know enough about the Swiss League to know how it compares to CHL, AHL, KHL, or SEL.

I think he played 40 games (including the 4 in playoffs) with 24 g + 25 a = 49 points.

He looks good in the clips I saw, but if you compare him to the 2015 draft class, top of the class McDavid looks great in the NHL, and I don't think Matthews is in the same strata as McDavid.

I also like the idea of increasing the trade value pushing the Arizona angle.

I think JBTL would be able to pluck some nuggets without insisting on OEL.

1 hour ago, Z Hockey said:

To Vancouver: 5th overall (CBJ will likely take M. Tkachuk or A. Nylander at 4th so take Chychrun here.)

Shinkaruk  

1st 2017

Jooris 

Rights to Jankowski

(Conditional pick if Jankowski doesn't sign)

Why would the Canucks trade Matthews to a division rival unless they overpay massively. I'm think a little less then Lindros overpayment 

14 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Why would the Canucks trade Matthews to a division rival unless they overpay massively. I'm think a little less then Lindros overpayment 

80% of their trades the past year have been with divisional rivals.... They traded their 2nd line centre and a D man who's been a top two D man for them for years, to a

divisional rival.

Traded Kesler to the Ducks

Traded Bieksa to the Ducks

Traded with LA for Vey 

Traded Lain to EDM for Acton

Traded with CGY for Baertschi

(Baertschi a future star traded within

division)

Traded Shinkaruk to CGY for Ma. Granlund

(Both potential future stars traded within

division)

Traded with EDM for P. Larsen

They have a relationship with serious rivals in Calgary and Anaheim especially, I was just giving an idea for the Calgary one. They traded a

potential future star in Shinkaruk to CGY and vice versa CGY did too by trading Baertschi and Granlund to us. Maybe they would trade Brodie with D. Hamilton there, the acquisition of Jokypakka, Giordano there for many years more, and Nakladal,

Wotherspoon, and Hickey looking like future top 4s. If it meant Matthews, I bet they'd let Brodie go... 

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

The lowest I'd accept back is 4th overall +OEL/Domi

I would make them pay. Not only is it the 1st OA, but he is a hometown kid and they are also our divisional rivals. If they want Matthews I would ask for:

2016 1st (Laine/Puljujarvi/Chychrun)

2017 1st (top 3 protected)

OEL

Domi

For just Matthews (not McDavid)

If they aren't stupid enough to accept, then who cares, draft Matthews and make them regret it for years and years :)

6 hours ago, McHortanen said:

I would make them pay. Not only is it the 1st OA, but he is a hometown kid and they are also our divisional rivals. If they want Matthews I would ask for:

2016 1st (Laine/Puljujarvi/Chychrun)

2017 1st (top 3 protected)

OEL

Domi

For just Matthews (not McDavid)

If they aren't stupid enough to accept, then who cares, draft Matthews and make them regret it for years and years :)

well, that could have been the price for a generationnal talent (McDavid). no way  Matthews  brings you back half of your request.

as i said: 

2016 1st + OEL 

2016 1st + Domi

for Matthews who is not a clear established #one overall (Laine says Hi) it's already a good return. 

it may be a judging mistake from me but i want Matthews only to trade him and get Domi and their first. (Sergachev).

If not, i would be glad to draft Laine (Pure goal scorer) with a 2nd, or Tkachuk (pure goal scorer) if we lose the lottery and draft 4-5th

10 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Here's a question. Would you trade our 1st to CBJ for Jones?..would it take a +?

I heard CBJ might try for both Finns.

What if they offered Jones, another good prospect(say, Milano) & agree to the Torts 2nd, this yr?

Never. That package doesnt entice me at all. You'd have to blow my socks off to get our first this year. 

8 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Never. That package doesnt entice me at all. You'd have to blow my socks off to get our first this year. 

Yeah, agreed they're gonna be hard to part with, this yr(top-3 or 4).

After watching his recent stickhandling vid, getting partial for Laine. Looks like a beaut.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah, agreed they're gonna be hard to part with, this yr(top-3 or 4).

After watching his recent stickhandling vid, getting partial for Laine. Looks like a beaut.

Yup hes got #2 locked up on my list.

Archived