The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

On 5/5/2018 at 11:46 PM, JamesB said:

However, I may have under-rated Stecher. I did not pay a lot of attention to the PK numbers, but the following article is, in my view, a must-read for anyone who wants to assess Stecher's game. https://canucksarmy.com/2018/05/04/stecher-pk/.

I was always fairly positive about Stecher, but this article made me more positive.  The D still needs to score more, and the big missing component is a good PP QB and legitimate offensive D-man at 5-on-5, but I have no problem with Stecher in the mix. In fact, I have him at 3 on the depth chart, after Edler and Tanev.

that is a really good article on Stecher's PK ability (made all the more surprising from a Canucks Army post but thats another thread).

I had no idea he was top 10, and even top 5, in the league in some PK stats, thats really impressive. 

Article certainly does shed some light on his play.

My opinion is that he was OK in most areas.  Sure he gets crunched a bit, and this is obviously because he is undersized and takes the hit to make the play.  Generally that doesn't translate well into longevity in the league and keeping healthy, but I think as he continues to develop he will be able to react quicker and can hopefully cut down on the wear and tear on his body. 

I know he didn't have the best scoring season, but I still see lots of upside in his play. He sees the ice well and is mobile. Interested to see how he's valued in contract talks.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Maybe not next year but I fully expect Troy from Richmond to have a breakout season soon.

I had lots of questions about how Stecher would do in his 2nd season but was pleasantly surprised. That said he does not have a long term spot nailed down and he will have lots of competition come fall. He is a worker and never takes a shift off which should help a lot.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I had lots of questions about how Stecher would do in his 2nd season but was pleasantly surprised. That said he does not have a long term spot nailed down and he will have lots of competition come fall. He is a worker and never takes a shift off which should help a lot.  

I don't know of too many RHD who are going to knock him out of the line up?

Or even LHD we have in our line up or pipeline who play with his gusto... I think he is pretty safe!

A bigger question is to see if he can regain some of the offensive minutes he lost to MDZ & Pouliot last year versus his rookie year & get back to scoring some points?

12 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I don't know of too many RHD who are going to knock him out of the line up?

Or even LHD we have in our line up or pipeline who play with his gusto... I think he is pretty safe!

A bigger question is to see if he can regain some of the offensive minutes he lost to MDZ & Pouliot last year versus his rookie year & get back to scoring some points?

It is my impression that Stecher will benefit from a faster pace team. Great skater and passer who could take advantage of the space created. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing in Quinn Hughes could have an effect on Stecher's future role with the club.  Hopefully he continues to round out his game in all three zones to make himself unmovable.   

I like the kids heart, and his willingness to battle.  But can we have two dman who are under 6 feet in the NHL?  Hope Stech takes his game to another level and proves that he can be a cornerstone on the blueline for the next decade.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Bringing in Quinn Hughes could have an effect on Stecher's future role with the club.  Hopefully he continues to round out his game in all three zones to make himself unmovable.   

I like the kids heart, and his willingness to battle.  But can we have two dman who are under 6 feet in the NHL?  Hope Stech takes his game to another level and proves that he can be a cornerstone on the blueline for the next decade.

I think Stecher wins more battles than many of our bigger D men? He certainly engages gamely.No fear in that boy which I think both Green & Willie liked about him! He also avoids some contests altogether by just getting to pucks first.. 

I'd actually like to see more of the puck moving and offensive creativity, born from quick hands & feet, you often use to justify the use of a smaller guy?

What happened? Willie gave him PP time & some offensive minutes. But Pouliot arrived taking some or most of those minutes. Hughes & Juolevi will take even more? And we went to one defender / four forward PP sets. But his offense was way down. 

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I think Stecher wins more battles than many of our bigger D men? He certainly engages gamely.No fear in that boy which I think both Green & Willie liked about him! He also avoids some contests altogether by just getting to pucks first.. 

I'd actually like to see more of the puck moving and offensive creativity, born from quick hands & feet, you often use to justify the use of a smaller guy?

What happened? Willie gave him PP time & some offensive minutes. But Pouliot arrived taking some or most of those minutes. Hughes & Juolevi will take even more? And we went to one defender / four forward PP sets. But his offense was way down. 

I thought Stecher had a decent 2nd season. I like the idea of bringing the young d-men along slower. Hutton got thrown in to deep and for too long in his first 2 seasons. He is suffering for that. Stecher could easily be the last Van d-man to suffer that fate. Bid believer in at least 40 games in the AHL. 

45 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I thought Stecher had a decent 2nd season. I like the idea of bringing the young d-men along slower. Hutton got thrown in to deep and for too long in his first 2 seasons. He is suffering for that. Stecher could easily be the last Van d-man to suffer that fate. Bid believer in at least 40 games in the AHL. 

I thought so as well. Less offense, sure but he was also tasked with harder usage and I think the goal was to round out other parts of his game and then look at maybe adding his natural offensive abilities back in moving forward. Development.

People focus far too much on stat lines.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I noticed when he walks the blueline, he looks like he hesitates to shoot the puck.  He makes an extra deke to fake out the forward and defers the puck off.  I remember his first 20 games, he was a shooting monster who got the puck through to the net.

He needs to just start trusting his shot again.

• Upvote 3