The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Im surprised that Stech is always the low minute man on the Dcore.  Either they are really trying to limit his minutes to preserve him or that they do not trust him.

I think he needs to be used more effectively on the powerplay.

If anything they should be limiting Ben Hutton's minutes.

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Im surprised that Stech is always the low minute man on the Dcore.  Either they are really trying to limit his minutes to preserve him or that they do not trust him.

I think he needs to be used more effectively on the powerplay.

If anything they should be limiting Ben Hutton's minutes.

Stecher is a 2nd year pro. I would suggest he ran out of gas last spring. Injuries both last year and this year. I suspect Green's coaching likely see's Stecher's development this year as a progression towards a game that will be sustainable. Last year his play contained many high risk play. This year still has the o-zone moves but his support is better. This is not restricted to Stech as Hutton, MDZ and even Edler are moving up into the o-zone. You are speaking 'trust' and I am talking 'development'. 

• Like 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Troy Stecher | #51 | D
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling its Troy Stecher who is going to be the first to sit in the group.

Biega showed so well last night, how could you not keep his intensity in?  Something we have lacked all year long from the blueline  Currently Stecher is the only Dman that doesn't play any special teams, and considering that he places the least of all the Dman on the backend, and his struggles to do much offensively this year, I feel Greener is likely to sit Stech for a few.  Especially that big gaff he had in the second period that lead to the Sharks scoring their second goal, Green and Baumer won't like that.

Somehow need to help him regain that confidence to be bold in the offensive zone, currently Pouliot has stolen his thunder and coachs' trust.

• Upvote 1

Stecher also hasn't had a point since opening night. That might have to do with decreased role and not being on the power play. Brown elects to put Pouliot on the 2nd PP. Maybe he doesn't see Stecher as a fit as the PMD on the PP.

Either way, we need to get him going. With Boeser out, I think Green/Brown should go back to the two defenseman on the PP. Have Edler and Stecher playing together and have the Sedins out with Granlund, who has 3 goals in 2 games all on the powerplay. 

Man I hate the thought of having Stecher sit but if he's not really producing then I can really see him sitting for Gudbranson. Or even worse, being traded. I really love the guy and I hope he has stronger 2nd half of the season.

Edited by Odd.

More and more, Stecher is looking like the guy to sit out once we get our full d-core back (assuming that happens at some point). He lacks offense and while he isn't always brutal on defense, I'd say Hutton is a notch above him in enough areas that Stech might be sitting in the press box.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Looked like the Troy from last year tonight against Toronto -- assertive with the puck, skating up-ice with it and making good plays.

It was Stecher who left Edler out to dry on the goal. I am OK with mistakes like that as Stecher works on his game. A lot of positives last night. His ability to handle the puck is very impressive to say the least. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2018 at 7:08 AM, Boudrias said:

It was Stecher who left Edler out to dry on the goal. I am OK with mistakes like that as Stecher works on his game. A lot of positives last night. His ability to handle the puck is very impressive to say the least. 

Further to this comment made almost a month ago. Stecher struggled early in the season but he has had a very strong January. IMHO he will always be challenged in his own d-zone but his ability to handle the puck and skate will give him the opportunity to stick in the NHL. With a stronger team he could really blossum into a consistant ozone threat. He had a great game against the Hawks.