The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Demko to sign with Canucks

50 minutes ago, Positive Canuck said:

According to multiple sources, 

I sure hope this is right, but I wish there was some clarification on this so we could know more for certain.

11 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

If Demko signs, do we trade Miller this summer? I think we trade him anyways, just look at what happened last deadline trade for him... not good,  so a team probably won't want to take him on at the deadline. TRADE Miller this summer!

How I see it stick with M&M 50/50 split and let Demko play in the A. If Demko is having a great year and Miller is willing trade him and call up Demko. Personally I would rather let Demko play all year in Utica and hopefully go on a run like Markstrom did and keep Miller to help/provide backup in case Markstrom is slumping, we don't need to throw him to the wolves like 2014 Lack.

Just now, Dancin'Droid said:

How I see it stick with M&M 50/50 split and let Demko play in the A. If Demko is having a great year and Miller is willing trade him and call up Demko. Personally I would rather let Demko play all year in Utica and hopefully go on a run like Markstrom did and keep Miller to help/provide backup in case Markstrom is slumping, we don't need to throw him to the wolves like 2014 Lack.

Rebuild... Markstrom needs the experience and Bachman can be an ok backup. Trade Miller, get the prospects(maybe a D) and move on with the rebuild. Can't let aging players go to waste

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

Rebuild... Markstrom needs the experience and Bachman can be an ok backup. Trade Miller, get the prospects(maybe a D) and move on with the rebuild. Can't let aging players go to waste

I highly doubt that we could get any decent  prospects in return for Miller

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

Who is going to want Miller? If I recall correctly Miller said he wanted to be on the west coast to be near his wife and every Pacific team he would be willing to go to doesn't need a goalie. I don't see how a 50/50 split with Miller doesn't give Markstrom "experience" as that is what Schneider had with Lou.

8 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

We're a competitive Team, if we trade Miller we lose a hell of alot more games than we did this year. Miller is a great presence and mentor to have for the young goal tenders, especially Demko. Our goal is to make the playoffs because for our young players the experience is priceless and they learn what it takes to win. If you wanna do a proper rebuild or retool you dont eliminate the vets and winning culture which both Edmonton and Toronto has done. However both have decided now the winning culture will come from their coaches and Gm. I believe it comes from teamates. 

My point is we shouldnt trade Miller until Thatcher makes the jump and is totally comfortable being our guy.

7 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

We're a competitive Team, if we trade Miller we lose a hell of alot more games than we did this year. Miller is a great presence and mentor to have for the young goal tenders, especially Demko. Our goal is to make the playoffs because for our young players the experience is priceless and they learn what it takes to win. If you wanna do a proper rebuild or retool you dont eliminate the vets and winning culture which both Edmonton and Toronto has done. However both have decided now the winning culture will come from their coaches and Gm. I believe it comes from teamates. 

My point is we shouldnt trade Miller until Thatcher makes the jump and is totally comfortable being our guy.

not the worst thing if Demko gets to be around Miller a bit , at some point a goalie gets an injury and Demko gets an NHL look.

Markstrom is UFA at end of next season, JB needs to get him signed on a long term contract, likely a three or four year deal. Demko will take two years in the AHL to learn and develop his pro game. Next year full time Utica and the year after a taste of the NHL.

He's a few years away from becoming a full time NHLer. So the kids need to relax with the "trade Miller, make room for Demko" posts. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Man, it'll be great news if this comes to fruition.

But then folks will converge on Boeser, oh boy. :P

Not worried about Boeser at all. I think it's pbbly a good idea for him to stay in college for another year and be a veteran/leader on the team instead of a rookie like this past season. 

There is no way he stays in college another  3 years, Boeser would not benefit staying there after next season. He'd be much better off financially and to develop his game if he went to AHL after next season. 

It's a completely different scenario than Demko and some other late bloomers. Demko wasn't drafted prior to his rookie season. 

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Not worried about Boeser at all. I think it's pbbly a good idea for him to stay in college for another year and be a veteran/leader on the team instead of a rookie like this past season. 

There is no way he stays in college another  3 years, Boeser would not benefit staying there after next season. He'd be much better off financially and to develop his game if he went to AHL after next season. 

It's a completely different scenario than Demko and some other late bloomers. Demko wasn't drafted prior to his rookie season. 

Me either, I'm just poking fun.

And yeah, I agree, there are definitely benefits to be had from him returning for another season. It'll be neat to see how he builds on the stupendous season he just had.

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Markstrom is UFA at end of next season, JB needs to get him signed on a long term contract, likely a three or four year deal. Demko will take two years in the AHL to learn and develop his pro game. Next year full time Utica and the year after a taste of the NHL.

He's a few years away from becoming a full time NHLer. So the kids need to relax with the "trade Miller, make room for Demko" posts. 

Markstrom is ready to be a number one guy, or at least given the chance. Demko needs a year or two more before coming to the NHL but Markstrom can take that time to prove he can be Canucks #1. Backups can be hired cheaper and younger then Miller. Get what you can now or regret it. Same case with Vrbata, didn't trade him, even though you knew he'd be a minor piece going forward. Asset Management. 

Miller would have next to no trade value with his current over paid contract .

I never understood why we signed him in the first place. I am thinking the canucks really thought they could rebuild on the fly and make playoffs while rebuilding.

Most CDC posters realized the team was never going to be a playoff team with or without a veteran Miller.

Seemed like a waste of cap space at the time.  I would have much rather have seen the money spend on on a 2-4 D man instead. 

Heh, even a guy that could effectively  be QB on the D for our PP would  have been great....

I would have been happy with Lack and Marky.

Archived