The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If the Canucks select Logan brown at 5 would you be upset?

cuporbust

at first i'd be skeptical. But with the picks he made with McCann and Boeser, I think I'd be okay with it after the shock settles down..

Anyways I think he trades down to the 7-10 range to draft Brown if that is the player he wants there.

I'll be happy as long as the player we pick doesn't end up busting...there usually ends up being 1 dud out of the top 4-6 players picked in each draft

2001: 3rd ovr - Alexandr Svitov/  5th ovr - Stanislav Chistov

2002: 5th ovr - Ryan Whitney (Not a terrible pick, but outside of couple good seasons with Pitts...eh)

2003: 4th ovr - Nikolai Zherdev

2004: 3rd ovr - Cam Barker/  6th ovr - Al Montoya

2005: 4th ovr Benoit Pouliot/  6th ovr - Gilbert Brule (Rush job screwed his development...probably)

2006: Excellent draft year for top 8, James Sheppard at 9 is first bad pick.

2007: 4th ovr - Thomas Hickey

2008: 3rd ovr - Zach Bogosian/  5th ovr - Luke Schenn/  6th ovr - Nikita Filatov

2009: Another great year for top 7, Scott Glennie at 8th ovr was first bad pick

2010: 3rd ovr - Erik Gudbranson/  6th ovr Brett Connolly (Not bad players, but for 3rd/6th...underwhelming)

2011: 4th ovr -  Adam Larsson (He's starting to turn it around, was looking horrible first few years though)

2012: 1st ovr - Nail Yakupov/  4th ovr Griffin Reinhart (Obviously from here on out, players are still young and can turn it around, both of these players haven't looked great for where they were picked though)

2013: Still early...but damn, crazy good draft year. MacKinnon/ Barkov /Drouin/ Seth Jones/ Elias Lindholm/ Monahan/ Nurse/ Ristolainen/ Horvat/ Nichuskin for top 10 picks

Way too early to say anything aboutt later draft years, even 2011 onwards is still too early to completely write off those players.

One trend I noticed...seems like more top D draft picks don't live up to expectations.

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Only if he trades down and can get a Sergechev (or Bean or whomever) AND Brown both

Naw, not for me. I don't think I'd want to 2 average players rather the one top end pick. If we're to believe JB/TL  telling us we're going to be better next season this might be our only chance to get a top end prospect

26 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Kidding right....Brown will be a good player..no doubt but not at 5.

This is sort of what I was speaking to. There seems to exist this view of the pick maintaining more value than the player taken. I mentioned Forsberg and Larkin while making this point. Forsberg being the top ranked European player that year and Larkin coming off a dominant USDP season. They were known commodities but teams simply said 'too early' to take them. Maybe Brown isn't on the level of these two, but you could certainly make the case for Jost, or even Sergachev as the top ranked D. I'm of the opinion that CDCers and possibly NHL teams, view consensus rankings too strongly without considering the actual player. 

I see comparisons to Boyle or Matthias around here, focusing on his size, and less his ability.  Think of Thornton when considering Brown, It's his passing ability and vision that make him elite. Brown will cut to the net, but that's not his only play, and his size shouldn't force him into the powerforward role. 

8 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Naw, not for me. I don't think I'd want to 2 average players rather the one top end pick. If we're to believe JB/TL  telling us we're going to be better next season this might be our only chance to get a top end prospect

Well only way I see us giving upour pick would be toget two top ten picks..and we need another blue chipdefenseman AND take a chance on a top tier forward..like a two fer

1 hour ago, Glory_Days said:

I'll be happy as long as the player we pick doesn't end up busting...there usually ends up being 1 dud out of the top 4-6 players picked in each draft

2002: 5th ovr - Ryan Whitney (Not a terrible pick, but outside of couple good seasons with Pitts...eh)

2005: 4th ovr Benoit Pouliot/  6th ovr - Gilbert Brule (Rush job screwed his development...probably)

2008: 3rd ovr - Zach Bogosian/  5th ovr - Luke Schenn/  6th ovr - Nikita Filatov

2010: 3rd ovr - Erik Gudbranson/  6th ovr Brett Connolly (Not bad players, but for 3rd/6th...underwhelming)

2011: 4th ovr -  Adam Larsson (He's starting to turn it around, was looking horrible first few years though)

2012: 1st ovr - Nail Yakupov/  4th ovr Griffin Reinhart (Obviously from here on out, players are still young and can turn it around, both of these players haven't looked great for where they were picked though)

2013: Still early...but damn, crazy good draft year. MacKinnon/ Barkov /Drouin/ Seth Jones/ Elias Lindholm/ Monahan/ Nurse/ Ristolainen/ Horvat/ Nichuskin for top 10 picks

Way too early to say anything aboutt later draft years, even 2011 onwards is still too early to completely write off those players.

One trend I noticed...seems like more top D draft picks don't live up to expectations.

Most of this list of top 5 players busting (or not fulfilling potential) are Russians (no wonder certain organizations stopped drafting them) and defensemen.....

It actually makes me more leery about reaching for a Dman at #5 ...unless he's a slam dunk (Ekblad,Doughty,Jones).

25 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Most of this list of top 5 players busting (or not fulfilling potential) are Russians (no wonder certain organizations stopped drafting them) and defensemen.....

It actually makes me more leery about reaching for a Dman at #5 ...unless he's a slam dunk (Ekblad,Doughty,Jones).

Yeah, I noticed that as well with the Russians, seems for every Kovy, Ovi taken as a top pick, you get a Filatov, Zherdev, Svitov/Chistov.

One more thing I've noticed that the draft, not just the years I posted but going back to late 80's, teams have gotten much better at not drafting garbage. Not nearly as many players drafted high in the 1st round who end up doing nothing.

1 hour ago, Glory_Days said:

To be honest to put this in any sort of context you need to see what other players were available at that time I'n the draft and then realize that hindsight is 20/20 Kids plateau at different stages. Most scouts are looking for an upward trend ....from the beginning to their season to the end

1 minute ago, Apple Juice said:

@Glory_Days I'd argue that Zach Bogosian and Erik Gudbranson aren't duds. Were they picked too high? Probably. But both players are still valuable top 4 d-men on their teams.

Yeah, they're not duds/busts, but for where they where picked, is disappointing to say the least. If we used our #5 pick to draft one of the D and they turned into a solid 2nd pairing shut-down D, pretty sure everyone here would be disappointed.

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

if benning believes he is the bpa then why would anyone complain?

Well, drafting off the board can have drawbacks...*cough* Patrick White *cough* haha

But yeah, I have way more confidence in JB's drafting than Nonis'.

I really know very little about Brown, only seen a few highlight reels of him and read a short scouting report. That being said, yeah he looks like he could be a Thorton or Getzlaf, which would be amazing (minus Thorton's amazing floating ability!) but for whatever reason, he also reeks of being a slightly more offensive Boyle, or a Berglund type player.

I feel like Tkachuck or PLD are the safer choices.

Archived