The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If the Canucks select Logan brown at 5 would you be upset?

cuporbust

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are you a Calgary fan, who hates Jeff Brown for his pass to spring Pavel to beat your Lames in double overtime in '94?  That's not a sin; that's a golden ticket!  Plus, if the boy can pass like his dad, that would be fabulous.  His dad had great vision.

You clearly aren't a Vancouver fan if you don't know about Jeff Brown and some of the off-ice issues issues (rumours or not), with the club. If its a myth then fine. McLean did one of the greatest saves in that series, and I'm I'm insulted you called me a Flames fan. 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

You clearly aren't a Vancouver fan if you don't know about Jeff Brown and some of the off-ice issues issues (rumours or not), with the club. If its a myth then fine. McLean did one of the greatest saves in that series, and I'm I'm insulted you called me a Flames fan. 

Sorry. :) I really hate the Flames too.  My in laws are from Cowville - sewer hole.  

I still have no clue about Jeff Brown, unless it's about his (at first) not wanting to come here - as part of the whole Nedved thing.

20 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

The #5 pick is not supposed to be a wait and see pick...unless it's a really weak draft (which this is not)....You pick the BPA,regardless of position,and 'adjust' your lineup after the fact.

I think we agree on that Honky Cat

37 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Calgary take him at #6 ahead of Nylander or the defensemen available.  If they do.  We might regret our pick if he is a late bloomer.  But, at this point you have to take Tkachuk or Dubois  at #5 as they are the BPA.

That is if Nylander isn't our guy. Most people seem to be dismissing Nylander as a possibility at #5 but he might be the most talented guy available in that spot.

Shocked yes. Upset no. I could see JB trading down to get a shot at Brown or Jost and trying to get another pick in the 1st round to bolster the prospect pool even more.

Whoever our 1st rounder is, he's going to be a player that projects as a 1st liner. JB has already said that he already believes Tkachuk and Dubois are future top line players, so that pretty much puts an end to the discussion with the numbers they have put up.

The question is whether there's a team out there willing to put up anything substantial to move up in the draft, because there are a number of players this year that show 1st line potential. Benning has shown a willingness to take on other teams' project players, but the offer would have to be an overpayment.

From the limited action that I've seen of him, he does project as a 1st line center. He has excellent vision and passing, and for a guy his size he can get his feet moving pretty quickly. He's big enough to step into the league right now, which is a huge advantage over most players in the draft. You can see that the difference from the top half of the draft to the bottom half isn't necessarily skill as much as it is size. 

His Dad is a legacy Canuck and was a part of the most exciting run in Vancouver history, which holds almost no weight, but it is a cool side story. The fact that his Dad has been working his way up the coaching ranks and is now the coach for the 67's is a big deal though. A former player turned coach, who has been grooming his son to play in the NHL his whole life, will naturally be an advantage.

I can actually see Calgary taking Brown at 6. Burke loves size and this kid has the skill to match. Put Hunter Shinkaruk on his left and Hunter Smith on his right in a couple years and you might have something.

2 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Shocked yes. Upset no. I could see JB trading down to get a shot at Brown or Jost and trying to get another pick in the 1st round to bolster the prospect pool even more.

Whoever our 1st rounder is, he's going to be a player that projects as a 1st liner. JB has already said that he already believes Tkachuk and Dubois are future top line players, so that pretty much puts an end to the discussion with the numbers they have put up.

The question is whether there's a team out there willing to put up anything substantial to move up in the draft, because there are a number of players this year that show 1st line potential. Benning has shown a willingness to take on other teams' project players, but the offer would have to be an overpayment.

From the limited action that I've seen of him, he does project as a 1st line center. He has excellent vision and passing, and for a guy his size he can get his feet moving pretty quickly. He's big enough to step into the league right now, which is a huge advantage over most players in the draft. You can see that the difference from the top half of the draft to the bottom half isn't necessarily skill as much as it is size. 

His Dad is a legacy Canuck and was a part of the most exciting run in Vancouver history, which holds almost no weight, but it is a cool side story. The fact that his Dad has been working his way up the coaching ranks and is now the coach for the 67's is a big deal though. A former player turned coach, who has been grooming his son to play in the NHL his whole life, will naturally be an advantage.

I can actually see Calgary taking Brown at 6. Burke loves size and this kid has the skill to match. Put Hunter Shinkaruk on his left and Hunter Smith on his right in a couple years and you might have something.

Excellent post.

On 5/14/2016 at 0:12 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Logan Brown over one of Matthew Tkachuk, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Olli Juolevi?

Yes, I would be upset, and disappointed too. Draft the best player available - In Benning We Trust.

Not much to add here. That would be a terrible pick. If the Canucks wanted Brown they should of course trade down and get him lower in the draft. But they should not want him. Being big does not necessarily imply physical play or toughness.

On 5/16/2016 at 6:00 PM, Alflives said:

Sorry. :) I really hate the Flames too.  My in laws are from Cowville - sewer hole.  

I still have no clue about Jeff Brown, unless it's about his (at first) not wanting to come here - as part of the whole Nedved thing.

I thought you were a long time fan? You don't know about jeff brown sleeping with mclean's wife and breaking up his marraige?

On 5/16/2016 at 6:43 PM, Salmonberries said:

That is if Nylander isn't our guy. Most people seem to be dismissing Nylander as a possibility at #5 but he might be the most talented guy available in that spot.

Never happen

Toronto is trading Matthews to the Yotes for an absolutely unheard of price and drafting Nylander at 7th

Just my hypothetical 2 cents

Brown reminds me of Michael McCarron. Big guy with good skating and pretty soft hands.

That being said, you don't pick guys like that top 10. If we're drafting a guy because of his size, there will be guys like that available in the 2nd and 3rd.

2 hours ago, FireGillis said:

I thought you were a long time fan? You don't know about jeff brown sleeping with mclean's wife and breaking up his marraige?

Long time fan, but I couldn't tell you which guys are married.  Is Trevor married?  

Definetly wouldn't take brown at 5. But if we trade down to, say carolina for their 2 firsts I'd take him at their pick. 78 points for a 6'6 center, nearly matched puljujarvi's ppg at the U18's, showed lots of impeovement over course of the season. He's got top notch hockey IQ, soft hands and great vision. His only knock is his skating and shot. And if I recall correctly, bo horvat was knocked on for his skating aswell. If logan brown improves his skating, he might just be the #1 C we've been waiting for. Having a big center is crucial especially in the pacific division. I think brown has a higher ceiling than dubois but he also has a higher bust rate. Also, we could get McAvoy, Stanley or Fabbro with another 1st if we moved down.

No I wouldn't. If Benning believes Brown should be taking at 5 then he should be taking at 5. Benning knows more than anyone on here when it comes to drafting. He is a draft god!

His first 4 picks are going to be very solid NHLers, thats impressive!

Virtanen

McCann

Demko

Tryamkin

5 minutes ago, McHortanen said:

No I wouldn't. If Benning believes Brown should be taking at 5 then he should be taking at 5.

Sure, but he could trade down, draft Brown anyway and gain an additional asset.

41 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Sure, but he could trade down, draft Brown anyway and gain an additional asset.

Looking at the current roster one thing for sure is Vcr is heavy with forwards. The team does not need volume but needs quality, JB best not waste this pick

The chances of us taking Brown at 5 are as slim as Toronto trading the first overall pick. 

JB is gonna take BPA. That's either Dubois or Tkachuk. I highly doubt he trades down either as there are only so many times that you can get a top 5 pick. As a matter of fact there is only one time in history Vancouver has actually traded a top 5 pick and at the time they traded that first round pick they were not projecting it to be top 5. Let's just say that trade turned out really really bad...

Archived