The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If the Canucks select Logan brown at 5 would you be upset?

cuporbust

4 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Hey guys. Not sure if this is the right forum for this one actually , but I just wanted to get your takes on the rumour the ninth ranked Logan Brown , a big but somewhat underwhelming centre for a top five pick, may be the front runner for our first round pick. 

While hes a good prospect for what he is , my concern is his underwhelming stats , and the way he reminds me of second round pick Shawn Matthias. While Matthias is a useful player , he would not have been a good top five pick , obviously. 

Thoughts ?

Shawn Matthias had 34 points his draft year, Logan Brown had 7r. Here are some other "larger" centres draft year point totals (1st & 2nd round, major junior only)

Getzlaf - 68
Bergeron - 73
Monahan - 78
Carter - 71
Scheifele - 75
Johansen - 69
Horvat - 61
O'Reilly - 66
Galchenyuk - 83
Jenner - 66
J. Staal - 68
E. Staal - 98

Based on draft year production Logan Brown stacks up quite nicely. As a 5th overall pick (in the sense) he probably wouldn't be a back pick. That said, this draft is really stacked. Tkachuk & Dubois would be 1-2 in a normal/below average draft year. Typically the top picks are out of major junior, and these two are the best junior players. This year the top 3 picks are out of European pro leagues. Even high-picks out of Europe typically put up crap draft year numbers (Mikko Koivu - 6th overall, 1 point in the Finnish league). 

Similar numbers to Rick Nash. 

7 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I wouldn't be upset in the least. It seems every draft year there are players people know about, but let slide because they have others ranked higher. This could be due to consensus scouting lists, lack of exposure, or something minor like their weight at 18. In recent years, it's been Forsberg (2012), Larkin (2014), Saad (2011), J.T Miller (2011), and even Canucks picks in McCann (2014) and Boeser (2015). All of these players were ranked ahead of where they were taken. They were a known commodity to teams, but for whatever reason they fell. I believe beyond the top 3 in this draft, it's a toss up as to where the next 10-12 land. Guys like Brown, Keller, Jost, and Sergachev could go anywhere in the top 15. They're known commodities, and teams are willing to pass on them for what they perceive as more NHL ready. 

The Button hate isn't entirely fair. He receives praise last year for ranking Boeser 8th, then gets destroyed this year for being more open in his top 10. He's a guy that follows junior hockey closer than anyone on here, he deserves some credit. 

I would honestly be ok with Brown/Jost/Sergachev at 5, in addition to the consensus of Dubois/Tkachuk/Juolevi at that pick. You guys should be more open as well.

Ossi

That was a well written post! Seriously, and thoughtful, and I would be so pissed if JB did what you are supporting.......

We did that with Virtanen, and we will have to wait and see how he turns out........I don't think #5's are suppose to be a wait and see type of picks........

With all due respect!

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Ossi

That was a well written post! Seriously, and thoughtful, and I would be so pissed if JB did what you are supporting.......

We did that with Virtanen, and we will have to wait and see how he turns out........I don't think #5's are suppose to be a wait and see type of picks........

With all due respect!

The #5 pick is not supposed to be a wait and see pick...unless it's a really weak draft (which this is not)....You pick the BPA,regardless of position,and 'adjust' your lineup after the fact.

10 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Logan Brown over one of Matthew Tkachuk, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Olli Juolevi?

Yes, I would be upset, and disappointed too. Draft the best player available - In Benning We Trust.

I tried to give u rep for this but for some reason it says "your nout allowed to give rep to this user" ... Why not? Lol

9 hours ago, Glory_Days said:

Yeah, they're not duds/busts, but for where they where picked, is disappointing to say the least. If we used our #5 pick to draft one of the D and they turned into a solid 2nd pairing shut-down D, pretty sure everyone here would be disappointed.

Well Gudbranson is starting to come into his own. He can peak as high as a #2 d-man and that's about it but he's looking like he'll end up being slotted as the 3rd/4th d-man which is fine because Ekblad is the clear #1. He's definitely the guy behind Ekblad on the right D side for sure.

On 5/14/2016 at 0:53 PM, Ossi Vaananen said:

I wouldn't be upset in the least. It seems every draft year there are players people know about, but let slide because they have others ranked higher. This could be due to consensus scouting lists, lack of exposure, or something minor like their weight at 18. In recent years, it's been Forsberg (2012), Larkin (2014), Saad (2011), J.T Miller (2011), and even Canucks picks in McCann (2014) and Boeser (2015). All of these players were ranked ahead of where they were taken. They were a known commodity to teams, but for whatever reason they fell. I believe beyond the top 3 in this draft, it's a toss up as to where the next 10-12 land. Guys like Brown, Keller, Jost, and Sergachev could go anywhere in the top 15. They're known commodities, and teams are willing to pass on them for what they perceive as more NHL ready. 

The Button hate isn't entirely fair. He receives praise last year for ranking Boeser 8th, then gets destroyed this year for being more open in his top 10. He's a guy that follows junior hockey closer than anyone on here, he deserves some credit. 

I would honestly be ok with Brown/Jost/Sergachev at 5, in addition to the consensus of Dubois/Tkachuk/Juolevi at that pick. You guys should be more open as well.

Button also correctly predicted the Canucks drafting Jake Virtanen even though he didn't like Virtanen personally. He is well connected and really knows stuff. If Benning liked Virtanen over the likes of Ehlers and Nylander I don't think it's crazy to suggest a big guy like Brown might be high on the Benning list. Not a troll job imo.

19 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Button also correctly predicted the Canucks drafting Jake Virtanen even though he didn't like Virtanen personally. He is well connected and really knows stuff. If Benning liked Virtanen over the likes of Ehlers and Nylander I don't think it's crazy to suggest a big guy like Brown might be high on the Benning list. Not a troll job imo.

Do you know much about Brown?  All I know he's big and Jeff Brown's son.  

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So the question is do the sins of the father get frowned upon from the club president? As it was his best friend that was involved? Or does the team understand that children learn from the mistakes of the parents? 

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No, I understand he is a huge playmaking center that has drawn comparisons to Joe Thornton and is considered a late riser in this years rankings; a little like Dubois but even later. I have not seen a second of footage on the kid though.

31 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So the question is do the sins of the father get frowned upon from the club president? As it was his best friend that was involved? Or does the team understand that children learn from the mistakes of the parents? 

Are you a Calgary fan, who hates Jeff Brown for his pass to spring Pavel to beat your Lames in double overtime in '94?  That's not a sin; that's a golden ticket!  Plus, if the boy can pass like his dad, that would be fabulous.  His dad had great vision.

9 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

No, I understand he is a huge playmaking center that has drawn comparisons to Joe Thornton and is considered a late riser in this years rankings; a little like Dubois but even later. I have not seen a second of footage on the kid though.

I wonder if he reads the game like Jumbo Joe?  

Archived