The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

12 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Why is Willie scratching him? Was he really playing that bad the 3 prior games?

If he was doing absolutely nothing then I understand it but he is a streaky scorer right now and on a team starved for goals I don't know why u would take your 6th leading scorer out of the lineup in a game against a team like the Capitals. I feel like that style game plays more into his strengths aswell. 

WD simply thinks that others give them a better opportunity to win.  

It's just his luck that they had so many PP that game and that WD split the time pretty evenly between both units - normally the 2nd unit can barely get set up.  As WD explained getting him on the PP is what got him going last year because skilled players need to handle the puck a lot and the PP is the best opportunity to do that and build confidence.

11 hours ago, Green Goblin said:

Baertschi was probably on the verge of going on a hot streak until Willie scratched him. :picard:

Maybe he just needed a night off? This would make more sense than scratching one of our five/six Top 6 players. We literally only have 6 forwards with offensive upside, the rest are two-way or grinders. Granlund is borderline, more like middle 6. But yeah we need more offense if we're going to compete for a playoffs spot.

IMO, we should just let the young guns play the rest of the year, trade for blue chips and proven elite forwards, draft Nolan Patrick, and we'll be on our way.

Baer has been on the 'verge' of a scoring streak for over a 100 games now.

Totally agree with playing the young pros and rotating the prospects up from Utica.

12 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree with playing the young pros and rotating the prospects up from Utica.

I wasn't wrong.. 3 points tonight says hi.

But yeah we need to accept the fact that we're not (yet) a contender and rebuild asap.

• Upvote 2

On 2016-12-13 at 8:57 AM, Boudrias said:

And trading old vets for draft picks/prospects?  

2 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Apples and oranges my friend. 

My dog is better at retrieving pucks than Gaunce. Does this mean the pile on is over? By the way my dog is Akita and will not give the puck back after he gets it. Runs off into the bush and hides it. I am not sure what this has to do with Gaunce but then the original comparison made no sense either. :blink:

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Baer could get 50 points this year if he keeps it up.  Hes currently on pace for about 44 points.  50 points would be a  nice ceiling to break.

Top 3 canucks in terms of points per 60 minutes (As of December 17)

1. Burrows 2.16

2. Sven 2.15

3. Bo 2.13

This is the only offensive line that really works on any given night and on every single shift. So W.D. better not rip them apart and try instead to build some other lines who match too.

Edited by the harry
  • Upvote 1

On 12/17/2016 at 4:14 PM, Darius71 said:

Baer could get 50 points this year if he keeps it up.  Hes currently on pace for about 44 points.  50 points would be a  nice ceiling to break.

1. Burrows 2.16

2. Sven 2.15

3. Bo 2.13

He really is improving. He might not be having the big year we hoped for, but he's at least becoming more steady and looking like a 2nd line guy.

14 points in his last 16 games. On a good pace for the season overall despite a horrible start (struggled early last season as well). Above average 2nd line player. I could see him developing into a 1st/2nd line tweener but not a star. These types of players provide great production per dollar. 

On 2016-12-17 at 4:14 PM, Darius71 said:

1. Burrows 2.16

2. Sven 2.15

3. Bo 2.13

Why, some games, do Bo, Sven, and Burr get so few minutes compared to other players if they are our best point producers?

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why, some games, do Bo, Sven, and Burr get so few minutes compared to other players if they are our best point producers?

Exactly what games are you talking about.  As far as I can see they're averaging 16-18 mins a night as a line...

1 minute ago, Gooseberries said:

Exactly what games are you talking about.  As far as I can see they're averaging 16-18 mins a night as a line...

Shouldn't the best point produces be getting 18-20 minutes?  Maybe these guys deserve more PP minutes and 5 on 5 shifts that are ozone starts?

5 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

14 points in his last 16 games. On a good pace for the season overall despite a horrible start (struggled early last season as well). Above average 2nd line player. I could see him developing into a 1st/2nd line tweener but not a star. These types of players provide great production per dollar. 

Ever since Burrows replaced Virtanen/Skille.  

Horvat has 15 points and Burrows has 14pts in those 19 games - Baer was injured for 2 and scratched one so he only has 16.

They've been the most productive line over that period and most of their production comes at 5v5.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Shouldn't the best point produces be getting 18-20 minutes?  Maybe these guys deserve more PP minutes and 5 on 5 shifts that are ozone starts?

OK so what you're telling me is

You're bent out of shape that miller is getting so many starts and that we're burning him out (as you claim in another thread) but we should be playing burrows 20 mins a night...

Iiiiiimmm done. 

I think what he has improved on the most is his ability to battle on the boards and in the dirty areas.  There was a stretch of 3-4 games where he looked like he reverted back to his old soft perimeter style and he got benched.  I wonder if he had a nagging injury and just needed a maintenance day off.