The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Just incase this isn't abundantly clear to everyone in this thread, Sven, nor any other comet regular, barring ridiculous injuries, will be called up this year. Benning obviously wants the Comets to go far in their chase for a Calder Cup, and will not hinder that by bringing up someone like Baertschi or Biega or Bo-Sangs, just to sit in the press box or to play a 4th line/7th D role. So the team you see in Vancouver right now, will very likely be the team you see throughout the playoffs (other than Markstrom being sent down to make room for Miller).

That isn't fair to say...he didn't trade the Sedins + traded for Kessel.

It took the Sedins 1 year after their draft to make the NHL. Kessel was already a first liner when he came to Toronto.

I'm not saying Burke doesn't like pure offensive players. I'm saying he wants them to make an immediate impact in the NHL.

That isn't fair to say...he didn't trade the Sedins + traded for Kessel.

His getting the twins was amazing, but there are many who'd argue against the Kessel trade being a good move. As for Sven, he's been fantastic since arriving. It seems GMJB's acquisition looks more savvy as time goes on. Loving how we plucked him from Calgary.

Guest Dasein

For those that want to catch the highlights of last night's game here is a link below:

Man where is Desiboynux4lifee*******

Hope he saw this and sees why BoSang wasn't given a shot..

When it's the other team's highlight package including their scoring chances, BoSang features prominently on some shaky plays on his own zone. No one's denying his offense, but man.. MA Gragnani 2.0

Who was looking for somebody to light it up in Utica?

Yes, it's only 10 games Desiboy. I think that they should keep him in Utica for the duration. The most important thing with Baertschi is for him to regain his confidence. So far so good.

I haven't heard what people think of Hockeysfuture.com but Baertcshi is the highest rated prospect the Canucks have according to that site. Now it comes down to helping him realize his potential.

On the PP first unit Baertschi replaced Friesen which was a big upgrade. Overall Jensen was pushed further down in the lineup. Green constantly changes the line combinations so it is almost impossible to point out a specific line combination that anyone is playing on.

With the addition of Baertschi the Comets currently have on extra healthy forward and it looks like Green is going to rotate who he gives a rest. In the past five games the scratch has been in this order - Bancks - Jensen - Shinkaruk - Archibald - Bancks. The Comets are playing a 3 in 3 this weekend so I would expect a similar rotation to be used to keep legs fresh.

Thanks! Really appreciate info source like this to keep me updated on the Comets. Almost impossible for me to do in Japan.

It took the Sedins 1 year after their draft to make the NHL. Kessel was already a first liner when he came to Toronto.

I'm not saying Burke doesn't like pure offensive players. I'm saying he wants them to make an immediate impact in the NHL.

This is true. He wanted the Sedins to start playing in the NHL immediately after draft, but they declined and wanted to stay in Sweden for another year.

I think what gets lost by us fans when watching and evaluating players is that they are people just like us. They aren't stat lines that exist outside of their environment and circumstances. Baertschi's skill level is, was, and will remain borderline elite but what changes is how hard he works, what opportunities he's given, and how confident he feels. I found it funny (here and on HFBoards especially) how many people wrote Sven off because of his "downward trending PPG" as if he was somehow becoming a less talented or gifted player. Rather what was really declining was his confidence and his opportunities within the Calgary organization. Just as many of us feared Benning would move Kassian at the deadline only to see him break-out under another coach that didn't bench him at every opportunity, I think this is what is partly behind Baertschi's resurgence. He feels valued, respected, and like he has a future in this organization. As a result he is playing harder and with more confidence than he has for the past couple years in Calgary. This is why many saw the trade as a great gamble by Benning because the skill was beyond what you can ever usually get with a 2nd round pick, only the player's attitude needed to improve. And so far it looks exactly like that is happening.

Being re-united with Green probably helped a bit too. Familiarity with a coach that knows what you can do and believes in you can work wonders.

Who was looking for somebody to light it up in Utica?

Yes, it's only 10 games Desiboy. I think that they should keep him in Utica for the duration. The most important thing with Baertschi is for him to regain his confidence. So far so good.

I think he said that Sven "had to produce 2-3ppg"...

GMJB does it again! Baertschi looking great so far with the Comets (5G 5A in 9GP).

Can anyone comment on how he is being used? 1st line? 1st PP unit? Any PK time?

Thanks!

Green has him paying in pretty much all the important roles.

He's getting 1st unit PP time and shutdown roles at the end of the games as evidenced with his EN goals.

I'm not sure about PK time but I believe he is on the 1st line as well.

I think this was an absolute steal by Benning. Sven is a gifted player who needed a change of scenery and an organization that will support him. Having Green to help regain his confidence is another big plus.

He went from an 8th place team to a 1st place team who will battle for the Calder in the AHL. That experience along will be great for his development/confidence and help get him ready for the main camp next year.

• Upvote 2

For those that want to catch the highlights of last night's game here is a link below:

0:01-1:00 mark. Gave me good laugh the way the commentator calls it. Has a nice "choke" when something decent happens.

They should hire him for calling the oilers games. Their fans would be too busy laughing that the pain of losing would be subdued.

Edited by Ronalds.Kenins41