The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Actually, people are crapping on dangler for trolling that Gaunce isn't worth anything and ignoring the facts that he has very good potential to be a worthwhile player.

EDIT: Here's the actual quote.

And his follow up.

Haha I never said he wasn't worth anything. This kid will at BEST be a good 3rd/4th line checker. Sounds like Brent Sutter agrees with me. Well would you look at that?? Somebody who has actually observed Gaunce and studies hockey for a living agrees with me. He's more credible than anyone here. All I wanted to do was to bring the Gaunce fan boys down to earth to realize he will never be a 1 or 2 Center. Ever.

Edited by dangler696969

Haha I never said he wasn't worth anything. This kid will at BEST be a good 3rd/4th line checker. Sounds like Brent Sutter agrees with me. Well would you look at that?? Somebody who has actually observed Gaunce and studies hockey for a living agrees with me. He's more credible than anyone here. All I wanted to do was to bring the Gaunce fan boys down to earth to realize he will never be a 1 or 2 Center. Ever.

Sutter's opinion, although credible, is not the be all and end all on prospects. He can't predict how Gaunce's development curve will go in the next few years better than anyone else. That's up to Gaunce.

His opinion is really no different than that of what scouts said when he was drafted. Does that mean it can't change? Of course not. Lots of players ceilings change after they're drafted. And I will go out on a limb and say that Gaunce's ceiling will change again after this years world juniors.

Sutter's opinion, although credible, is not the be all and end all on prospects. He can't predict how Gaunce's development curve will go in the next few years better than anyone else. That's up to Gaunce.

His opinion is really no different than that of what scouts said when he was drafted. Does that mean it can't change? Of course not. Lots of players ceilings change after they're drafted. And I will go out on a limb and say that Gaunce's ceiling will change again after this years world juniors.

Actually, the potential for an average 2nd line center was noted by a number of scouts at the draft, but it was fairly well noted that he was an almost lock as a very good 3rd line center. Then, with his offensive output this year (particularly in the playoffs), Gaunce showed he has more potential beyond his solid defensive game. He potentially could even be a good 2nd line winger if the depth at center keeps him from advancing.

We'll have to wait and see what he can do at the WJHC and if he improves his standing again for his ability as an offensive player. We'll also have to wait and see at camp what he can do against NHL'ers and if he can translate the best parts of his game for if that potential 2nd liner ceiling is something he can attain.

Certainly there will always be people projecting him too high (I don't see him as a regular 1st liner) but that's CDC. For dangler to come in and say, "Oh, Richardson 0.5," that implies the opposite of those projecting him too high and that Gaunce will only ever be less than Richardson who's been basically a 4th liner. It's one thing to be overly positive about someone, but to come out with a statement where the first thing you say is you can't stand a player and have no evidence to support it is clearly going to raise the ire of even the level headed posters - which is why it's seen as trolling.

Not to say they're the same, but people forget Trevor Linden didn't put up great offensive numbers either in junior or the NHL. He had one good year of offence in junior, his draft year, and just one NHL season with PPG or better. Still, he managed to make it as a top line center on a SCF team because of his overall game and character. That's the kind of style and ability Gaunce has, and while he may not ever do as much offensively as Shinkaruk, Jensen or Horvat, his all around game and character will likely be enough to at least make him a 3rd line C with potential to move up to the 2nd.

Sutter also said he considers Gaunce a power forward that skates very well for his size. None of us (even you and Sutter) can tell the future, but I'd say that if Gaunce turns out to be a hard hitting, 2-way 3rd line C

the team has hit a home run. Add that he scores clutch goals and is a good leader, I'd say he's a good pick for 26th overall.

I'd like to know how many posters have seen the likes of Gaunce, Horvat etc on a regular basis to make all these projections

I watched Gaunce play probably a dozen games last season and his entire playoff run. The guy knows how to step it up in big games, which is awesome. He was a physical beast, and always seemed to score that game tying or go ahead goal for his team.

If he can become a Dave Bolland type third liner that scores big goals, works hard, and plays with grit, I'd be more than happy. But I would also say it's too early to tell if he becomes something more. I think there's still more room to grow in his offensive game. He's got a hard accurate shot, an underrated play making ability, and a great hockey sense. Another season in junior could bring out that side of his game even more I think.

As for Horvat, I haven't seen that much of him other than a few memorial cup games, and highlights. I just like how every coach seems to rave about his work ethic and gritty play. I also like how he scored very high on the Vo2 test at the combine. Work ethic mixed with his skill set is a very dangerous combo and makes it silly to cap his ceiling at this point. It's much too early to tell with him.

Edited by DeNiro

Lol Sutter agrees with you eh..sounds like someone is a tad high.
  • Upvote 1

People said the exact same thing about Kesler. Just something to consider.

• Upvote 3

All I know is that he won't make the team this year,. Take that to the bank.

Absolute statements are funny things...

2135881_f260.jpg

People always think something's all true.

― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Edited by elvis15

All I know is that he won't make the team this year,. Take that to the bank.

I would take that to the bank but they bank were closed when you posted that remark.

Bill Gates said at one point there was only room in the world for 5 computers. I love how some people cllaim to know more than everyone else. You fight at this point seems more about retaining your "self-dignity" rather than actually being right to be honest.

People said the exact same thing about Kesler. Just something to consider.

I remember another site(Canucks Community Forum) used to swear up and down he was useless and no hockey sense Nd should be traded or shoulda took the 2nd comp pick when Clarke gave him an offer sheet.

Bank on Gaunce making the team this year. He has nothing left to prove in juniors. I say throw him in and let him get his feet wet.

• Upvote 1

I remember another site(Canucks Community Forum) used to swear up and down he was useless and no hockey sense Nd should be traded or shoulda took the 2nd comp pick when Clarke gave him an offer sheet.

Bank on Gaunce making the team this year. He has nothing left to prove in juniors. I say throw him in and let him get his feet wet.

That's why he'd be playing in Utica if not on the Nucks. The kid is 19 though, curb your enthusiasm.