The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

I think Gaunce may eventually be stuck under Cassels with Cassels as 3C Gaunce as 4C. at the end of the day we should be happy when they both make it to the big show.

Anyone remember Friesen? remember how he was one of the top faceoff and defensive players in the O? ... barely got games in for Utica this year

He had 20 points his last 20 or so games in Utica. Horrible start, great ending type of year. Horvats pedigree is much better then Friesen

I think Gaunce may eventually be stuck under Cassels with Cassels as 3C Gaunce as 4C. at the end of the day we should be happy when they both make it to the big show.

Anyone remember Friesen? remember how he was one of the top faceoff and defensive players in the O? ... barely got games in for Utica this year

Friesen played 54 games, I wouldn't call that barely getting any action... and you know the reason he missed time was because he was injured multiple times, right? Not because he couldn't crack the lineup. Plus he had 18 points in his last 20 games once he got healthy and developed some chemistry. I wouldn't count him out yet, if he can bring that kind of play consistently next season it'll be tough to keep ignoring him.

Gaunce, Cassels, and Horvat all have higher potential though. Its tough to say at this point where they'll land until they see some pro action - the AHL/NHL is a big step up from junior. All have the tools to be 1st line centres in the OHL but none of them were drafted based on their raw offensive talent so I do think its more accurate to say they'll likely fall in the 2nd-3rd line role at the pro level. But what do I know, development matters more than their current potential.

Friesen played 54 games, I wouldn't call that barely getting any action... and you know the reason he missed time was because he was injured multiple times, right? Not because he couldn't crack the lineup. Plus he had 18 points in his last 20 games once he got healthy and developed some chemistry. I wouldn't count him out yet, if he can bring that kind of play consistently next season it'll be tough to keep ignoring him.

Gaunce, Cassels, and Horvat all have higher potential though. Its tough to say at this point where they'll land until they see some pro action - the AHL/NHL is a big step up from junior. All have the tools to be 1st line centres in the OHL but none of them were drafted based on their raw offensive talent so I do think its more accurate to say they'll likely fall in the 2nd-3rd line role at the pro level. But what do I know, development matters more than their current potential.

good to hear about Friesen, I wasn't aware of that. When they drafted him, seemed like the perfect 3/4th line player, heart, fast, gritty...and ever understood why he wasn't making the jump, nice to see he ended the year well and hopefully can push for a spot with the big club next year...

hmm is he only 5'9? I thought he's 5'11?

Edited by NucksCup2015

People assume too much. Chances that all of Gaunce, Horvat, Cassels, become all NHL regular for the Canucks are pretty slim (bust, trade, UFA signing that will take their spot). We can never predict how prospect will translate their game into the NHL. So to say Gaunce will be stuck as 4C behind Cassels is way too early to tell. For once, they probably won't join the NHL at the same time, one might spend 2 years in the AHL while the other 1 or 3.

Also most of the good players in junior are center and are converted to wing in pro. I wouldn't be surprise to see Gaunce transformed into a Winger because of his size and lack of foot speed. Specially since he spent the last 2 seasons jumping from center to wing. I see Gaunce making the team as a 3rd/4th line winger and if he reaches his true potential then maybe he can he brought back at center (2nd/3rd line)

People assume too much. Chances that all of Gaunce, Horvat, Cassels, become all NHL regular for the Canucks are pretty slim (bust, trade, UFA signing that will take their spot). We can never predict how prospect will translate their game into the NHL. So to say Gaunce will be stuck as 4C behind Cassels is way too early to tell. For once, they probably won't join the NHL at the same time, one might spend 2 years in the AHL while the other 1 or 3.

Also most of the good players in junior are center and are converted to wing in pro. I wouldn't be surprise to see Gaunce transformed into a Winger because of his size and lack of foot speed. Specially since he spent the last 2 seasons jumping from center to wing. I see Gaunce making the team as a 3rd/4th line winger and if he reaches his true potential then maybe he can he brought back at center (2nd/3rd line)

Ive always felt this way about Gaunce, and in a good way. I think he'll be a really valuable asset and play a stingy shutdown role. He's always been very good positionally, which should serve him well at the highest level. Is also the type of player I can see scoring big post season goals alla Bickell.

I've always felt he'd be a very good 3rd line center or an ok 2nd line winger if he does develop well. He'd be counted on for scoring/offence more if he were on the 2nd line, and he'd be able to use his straight ahead speed (his top speed is ok) more on the wing to break out where he could work on being positionally aware more as a 3rd line shutdown type forward (which suits center but could be wing as well).

Just as a wish list projection, I could see a 30+ point 3rd line center, or a ~50 point 2nd line winger.

• 3 weeks later...

I will never forgive MG with this pick. We could have had Henrik "big time" Samuelsson on our team.

just scored 2 goals and 5 points at the memorial cup final.

player of the tournament in my eyes. even watched him live on friday. definitely best player on the ice

I will never forgive MG with this pick. We could have had Henrik "big time" Samuelsson on our team.

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

• Upvote 4

I have watched both players play throughout both of their entire junior careers and I think the right pick was made. Gaunce>Samuelson imo. If the 2 of them matched up head to head for a entire playoff series I got BG as the better player because of better D awareness and at faceoffs but I have both even offensivly and skating so Gaunce is the better player in more areas imo.

• Upvote 1

I have watched both players play throughout both of their entire junior careers and I think the right pick was made. Gaunce>Samuelson imo. If the 2 of them matched up head to head for a entire playoff series I got BG as the better player because of better D awareness and at faceoffs but I have both even offensivly and skating so Gaunce is the better player in more areas imo.

Samuelsson has better offence upside than Gaunce and skating by a wide margin. This tournament he did everything.

Samuelsson has better offence upside than Gaunce and skating by a wide margin. This tournament he did everything.

I agree HS has the higher offensive upside as he should be a 1C or 2C with PP time aswell for PHX in the future and BG will most likely be a shutdown/PK 2C or 3C for the canucks so their should be more of a chance HS offensive numbers could be better. Both of their skating appear to be close to even but I saw more of Gaunce try to sit back and let his skilled wingers be more agressive and BG would focus on staying in good position but if he is given the chance to focus more on scoring instead of defence I think BG will show just how good of a skater he actually is. Maybe if BG is moved to LW he can showcase his skating more .

Edited by RustyShackleford

On my iPhone so I don't have the interview first hand. It's not a new one. Gaunce really stressed how his positioning is what makes his plays and actions count. He said something along the lines as you can be fast and skate up and down the ice doing nothing but looking like your playing hard. He thinks it's a waste of energy that can be used better for the game and team.

I have a feeling he will be a player with an extra drive to go Into come playoff times.

• Upvote 1