The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

3 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Well considering he scored a goal within his 1st few shifts, I'd say the adjustment period would be short:) We're not talking about a natural LW converting to center. His defense might take a bit to catch up, but he is one of our smartest players. As far as hockey IQ I put him at the top of the list of prospects.

..... I think Gaunces played centre all his youth. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Derp... said:

He played centre today with Shinkaruk and Grenier, the comets top 4 centres were out of the game

Vey: Up with Nucks

Zalewski: Sick

Hamilton: Suspended

Friesen: Hurt

Goal 1: https://streamable.com/mxtz

Goal 2: https://streamable.com/w7he

Awesome goals. Cant wait for him to be on the Canucks.  Better see him next year. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does it not make you just a bit sick knowing it's Higgins who is playing in the spot where Guance deserves to be?

It doesn't make me feel sick but it's been clear to me that Higgins has lost his passion or at least his passion for the Canucks. He has been playing uninspiring hockey since he returned. Maybe all this hate on him from the fans is somehow getting to him?

3 minutes ago, khay said:

It doesn't make me feel sick but it's been clear to me that Higgins has lost his passion or at least his passion for the Canucks. He has been playing uninspiring hockey since he returned. Maybe all this hate on him from the fans is somehow getting to him?

He could get a lot of love from the fans in Utica.:)

4 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

I'm equally perplexed by people who feel that he couldn't or shouldn't go back to his natural position. It's pretty clear that we have a pretty shallow talent pool at center. LW is not any better, but why wouldn't you want a player has that versatility?

Oh and btw Gaunce is playing center tonight between Shinkaruk and Grenier and just scored a beauty off a nice feed from Shink.

But the Canucks don't have a shallow prospect pool at centre.  The talent level is low with respect to those who can play right now and are experienced.  For those who will play in the future there is plenty of talent.  Gaunce is a prospect and as such, a player for the future.

Smarter people than me (like Benning and Green and Linden and Dejardins) think that Gaunce doesn't skate well enough to be an NHL centre.  But he's a big body and a smart player.  Incidentally, I hear that over the last 10 games or so, he is better than a point a game.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, khay said:

Some of these prospects are getting overcooked in the minors.  While others like McCann and Horvat especially, are being brought along too quickly.

It's obvious that Gaunce will take Higgins' place in the future.  He will be able to play up and down the line up on LW as needs be and at an upgrade to Higgins in his prime.  The thing is that right now, Higgins plays reasonably well and is worth something as an asset but due to his contract, isn't attractive on the open market.  Maybe by the end of this season, JB will take less than fair value for him because Gaunce is more than ready.

They have to limit how many green players there are on the roster at any one time.  I think that this year with Horvat, McCann, Baertschi and Hutton maybe they have too many.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

But the Canucks don't have a shallow prospect pool at centre.  The talent level is low with respect to those who can play right now and are experienced.  For those who will play in the future there is plenty of talent.  Gaunce is a prospect and as such, a player for the future.

Smarter people than me (like Benning and Green and Linden and Dejardins) think that Gaunce doesn't skate well enough to be an NHL centre.  But he's a big body and a smart player.  Incidentally, I hear that over the last 10 games or so, he is better than a point a game.

I'm not so sure that they would feel the same way if they watched the way he played tonight. I'm not saying that he should only play center from now on, but it's better to have the option of a LW/C than just a LW. As far as I know this was his 1st game back at center since he turned pro and he didn't look out of place or slow at all. Actually he was the best player on the ice for either team.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

To be centre, you either have to have speed or size (preferably both)... and Gaunce has size.  Manny Malhotra wasn't a speedster, but does have enough speed and strength to shutdown the other team's top players (usually other centres). 

Also, speed could be improved upon.  Watch the Sedins when they were in their early 20's and then after the 2006 season, it's night and day.  I think even Kesler was mentioning how Daniel was almost matching him stride for stride in a race.

14 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I'm not so sure that they would feel the same way if they watched the way he played tonight. I'm not saying that he should only play center from now on, but it's better to have the option of a LW/C than just a LW. As far as I know this was his 1st game back at center since he turned pro and he didn't look out of place or slow at all. Actually he was the best player on the ice for either team.

We know that players can improve their skating.  From David Booth to Bo Horvat.  If Gaunce has made improvements, then more power to him.  We'll see where this goes from here.

The Canucks are clearly going through some adversity and sometimes what comes of it can surprise.

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Does it not make you just a bit sick knowing it's Higgins who is playing in the spot where Guance deserves to be?

yes an no really I see a silver lining here as a strong draft pick may drop in our lap this is a good trade off an offset an can live an complain till june .

8 hours ago, The-Gooch said:

I agree Gaunce should be playing in that spot. Hopefully Higgins is gone by the trade dealine

Read the updates from UticaHockey in the Utica thread, you'll see that Gaunce has been very inconsistent down there, even being a healthy scratch.   I don't think throwing him to the NHL is going to solve that.  Plus it's a bad message to send the prospects if you give a call-up to someone who hasn't necessarily fully earned it.

23 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Read the updates from UticaHockey in the Utica thread, you'll see that Gaunce has been very inconsistent down there, even being a healthy scratch.   I don't think throwing him to the NHL is going to solve that.  Plus it's a bad message to send the prospects if you give a call-up to someone who hasn't necessarily fully earned it.

The biggest issue with Gaunce is consistency. Not consistency in results but consistency in effort and creating opportunities. Once he improves on the later the results will come. Gaunce had a great game last night and stepped up to take charge when the Comets had a depleted roster which was a very good sign. He needs to do this every night to be ready to move up to the next level and stay there.

This is why I am so big on Zalewski. Mike has NHL skills and never takes a shift off on either end of the ice.

On 12/11/2015 at 4:03 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:
33 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Gaunce was scratched last year; he had an injury this year.  I've only read positive post coming out of Utica.

Brendan has improved his skating and will continue to do so.  He was the best prospect in camp and would likely be on the team this year, but it was decided it would be better for Virt's development to stay in the NHL instead of WHL.

As I stated from the beginning of the season, I think he will be on the team by trade deadline and a solid player for next year.