The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Jake is going to learn most from playing games. Doesn't matter whether its in the NHL or the WHL, he needs to play games. Watching from the pressbox in the highest level doesn't do anything for him. Its all about the in game action where you are able to refine your game. Being in the stands can give you a different outlook on the game, but for a young player particulariy confidence is built from constant repetition...that is through in game action. Unless the Canucks are planning to use him a lot in game action, I really don't see the reason to keep him as a 14th forward. But is junior enough for him? Will he develop bad habits and will he mature in his game?

You often hear players that were rushed into the NHL are stunted in development, but you rarely hear players stunted in development from returning to junior.

If Jake isn't able to beat out guys like Hansen or Dorsett on the right side, and we are only keeping him as a 14th forward, I say send him to junior so he can play games.

Also heard the debate to spread out his 9 games until December and make a decision whether to send him to the WJC or keep him. That is totally stupid to me. So essentially he plays 9 games in 3 months? Talk about wasted development time for him.

Yea it's possible, but if he's spending more time in the pressbox than playing, that's not gonna help him either.

Unless they gift him a spot on the roster which IMO just sends a bad message to the team and to Jake.

Only way he makes it, or should make it, is if he's clear cut better than Vey, Grenier, Kenins, or Prust. Luckily he's still got some games to prove that.

^^ this. We can easily find a replacement for the 14th forward. Sticking a rookie there doesn't make any sense to me especially when he has the option to go back to junior. There is always something to improve. For example Jake could learn to play a much more two way game while still being an offensive player, or using his speed more effectively etc.

Now back to Brendan Gaunce, with Higgy out for possibly significant amount of time, this would be a good shot to give to him to see what you have in him. Out of all the prospects he is the most NHL ready, and the only one in my mind that has a matured 200 foot game out of the prospects.

Plus his size and smarts would be a huge valued commodity in the bottom six. Imagine a third line with Gaunce-Horvat-Hansen? Speed, size, smarts, work ethic...you name it.

• Upvote 1

Willie doesn't have time to teach young guys how to play a 200 foot game though, he's focused on winning. They're expected to know that before they're on the team.

From watching Virtanen play he still has alot to learn about positioning. Maybe he can improve that aspect on the fly, but we'll see.

How's that been working out so far? I have far more faith in NHL coaching than junior, especially from the group he's been with the past couple years in Calgary. He seems like a teachable kid, but needs a teacher.

How's that been working out so far? I have far more faith in NHL coaching than junior, especially from the group he's been with the past couple years in Calgary. He seems like a teachable kid, but needs a teacher.

Agreed......I suppose a trade could be engineered, but even then tgeres no guarantee that hes in a better situation.

Plus his size and smarts would be a huge valued commodity in the bottom six. Imagine a third line with Gaunce-Horvat-Hansen? Speed, size, smarts, work ethic...you name it.

As much as I love Gaunce, I'd wager he'd start on the 4th, not the 3rd.

Prust, Horvat, Hansen

Gaunce, Vey, Dorsett

Thats why they have Gully around. Im not disagreeing that Jake has tgings to learn, but right now he is their prize possession and they may very well want to keep him close and doing things the way they want him to, not the a Jr coach wants him too.

Willie doesn't have time to teach young guys how to play a 200 foot game though, he's focused on winning. They're expected to know that before they're on the team.

They should just demand that his Jr. rights be traded to Kelowna - problem solved ::D .

They should just demand that his Jr. rights be traded to Kelowna - problem solved : :D .

well that would be best case scenario for me (outside him making the team and having an impact), I'd get to see him all the time! I usually agree with Deniro that sending players back to JR if they are on the bubble is the best option........with Jake and his size and raw potential, I just wonder if they are not better off keeping him in Van and using their vast resources to develop him in house. They have said they are planning on keeping 14 fwds, so, to me, that sounds like the plan.

well that would be best case scenario for me (outside him making the team and having an impact), I'd get to see him all the time! I usually agree with Deniro that sending players back to JR if they are on the bubble is the best option........with Jake and his size and raw potential, I just wonder if they are not better off keeping him in Van and using their vast resources to develop him in house. They have said they are planning on keeping 14 fwds, so, to me, that sounds like the plan.

I was only half-joking about demanding his rights be traded (making fun of MacTavish trying to manipulate the WHL to do his bidding).

JV's situation isn't simple as we all know. Being around pro's and practicing day in/day out with them will benefit him no doubt as would any game action he saw vs. NHL competition. However, if he's in/out of the roster all the time and spending time in the press-box, I'd sooner have him in the WHL (somewhere) logging heavy minutes being the go-to guy on the team and developing his leadership skills even more. At his age, imo, he needs to play, not watch from the press-box just so he can soak up the NHL ambiance.

Now, if the WD plans to play him on a nightly basis, well that changes the scenario - then you gotta ask yourself how much would he have to play on a nightly basis to make it even worthwhile having him on the club?

I was only half-joking about demanding his rights be traded (making fun of MacTavish trying to manipulate the WHL to do his bidding).

JV's situation isn't simple as we all know. Being around pro's and practicing day in/day out with them will benefit him no doubt as would any game action he saw vs. NHL competition. However, if he's in/out of the roster all the time and spending time in the press-box, I'd sooner have him in the WHL (somewhere) logging heavy minutes being the go-to guy on the team and developing his leadership skills even more. At his age, imo, he needs to play, not watch from the press-box just so he can soak up the NHL ambiance.

Now, if the WD plans to play him on a nightly basis, well that changes the scenario - then you gotta ask yourself how much would he have to play on a nightly basis to make it even worthwhile having him on the club?

you're right in that it entirely depends on his JR situation though. If he ends up in a bad situation where the coach isn't using him the way he needs to be used, or there's friction etc, the Canucks are then powerless to do anything about it. Especially if it's the Hitmen, a team owned by the same group that owns the Flames. I'm usually anti-conspiracy, but what incentive would they have to help the Canucks out with their prized draft pick?

Personally I would keep him in Van, keep the expectations low for him and let him develop on ice, and use my sports psychologists etc to help mature and focus his game where it needs to be.

Gaunce with a really smart screen on that Virtanen goal. That's what this Canucks team needs more of. He's the most physically mature of the kids and may not be as skilled offensively as Shinkaruk or Virtanen, but he's got the defensive IQ and is very similar to Horvat the way he broke into the NHL.

I say we toss up the Higgins spot between Gaunce and Jensen. Give Jensen a really good chance in the pre-season because this may well be his last.

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Gaunce - Horvat - Hansen

Dorsett - Vey - Prust

I'm trying to remember if Gaunce has even had a single "bad" game since the start of the YoungStars tourney? Seems to me he's been solid every time he's dressed and usually been one of the better players on the ice in the games he's played to-date.

He might not be our "1st star" every night but he's just been consistently solid, unlike well... pretty much everyone else this camp/preseason.

His consistency more than anything else should keep him in the coaches' minds for a roster spot. It's a pretty rare trait in a young player. Hopefully he can keep it going.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

I'm trying to remember if Gaunce has even had a single "bad" game since the start of the YoungStars tourney? Seems to me he's been solid every time he's dressed and usually been one of the better players on the ice in the games he's played to-date.

He might not be our "1st star" every night but he's just been consistently solid, unlike well... pretty much everyone else this camp/preseason.

His consistency more than anything else should keep him in the coaches' minds for a roster spot. It's a pretty rare trait in a young player. Hopefully he can keep it going.

Pretty much bang on.

Bo-Lite.