The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

If I am TG during the preseason I am putting Gaunce and Jake on a line and see what happens.

I was watching a montage of every goal in the 2010-11 season and one thing the stood out was a reminder of the dynamic of Manny and Raffi. If that's possible to get again, I;d like to know and it may be possible with those two on a line. 

Edited by TimberWolf
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TimberWolf said:

If I am TG during the preseason I am putting Gaunce and Jake on a line and see what happens.

I was watching a montage of every goal in the 2010-11 season and one thing the stood out was a reminder of the dynamic of Manny and Raffi. If that's possible to get again, I;d like to know and it may be possible with those two on a line. 

Agreed, although if that line is to stay past the pre-season, let it be because Jake earned that spot this time. lol

(Mind you, I also realise he had kinda outgrown the WHL which put him in some awkward position.... but still....)

Edited by The Lock

3 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Brendan has been re-signed to a new two-year contract. GOOD MOVE Jim. Now, let's give him a well-deserved opportunity to play with more offensive players. 

Green will give him his chance. He knows better than most what he brings to the table.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Green will give him his chance. He knows better than most what he brings to the table.

WD actually played Gaunce just where he needed to play in the start of his NHL career and that was learning defence and the more physical side of the game on the 4th line.

He did the same with Bo and his development has has been on a rising graph path.

Playing players like Bo and Gaunce immediately in the top lines is just putting them under pressure, Desjardins realised that and I think Gaunce comes back a much more rounded player this season and the better for playing on a more sheltered 4th line position, especially on a team that was struggling to score.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

WD actually played Gaunce just where he needed to play in the start of his NHL career and that was learning defence and the more physical side of the game on the 4th line.

He did the same with Bo and his development has has been on a rising graph path.

Playing players like Bo and Gaunce immediately in the top lines is just putting them under pressure, Desjardins realised that and I think Gaunce comes back a much more rounded player this season and the better for playing on a more sheltered 4th line position, especially on a team that was struggling to score.

Gaunce is a fourth liner, I don't think anyone will argue against that.

I don't think anyone's saying he should be playing on the second line. But he will get a regular role under Green and not be bounced for guys like Megna and Chaput. He'll probably also play with more talented players as well.

I'm thinking Gaunce Sutter Dorsett should be what we have penciled in before training camp. A solid shutdown line that plays a heavier game. That was what this team has been sorely lacking the last few seasons. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Brendan has been re-signed to a new two-year contract. GOOD MOVE Jim. Now, let's give him a well-deserved opportunity to play with more offensive players. 

Happy to have him back 100% but not sure I agree with the last part. Easy to say to play him with offensive players, or that our young guys X, Y and Z should all make the team but curious who you would bump down or sit to create that opportunity or what your lines look like with him playing with offensive players. 

Edited by YesWeCanNux

On 2017-8-5 at 7:03 PM, TimberWolf said:

I like this idea, or Jake with Sutter.  Either way it adds a bit more grit to the bottom six as well as some potential for scoring.  It all depends on chemistry, which some times is a natural thing and some times it has to be worked on to develop.

4 hours ago, YesWeCanNux said:

Happy to have him back 100% but not sure I agree with the last part. Easy to say to play him with offensive players, or that our young guys X, Y and Z should all make the team but curious who you would bump down or sit to create that opportunity or what your lines look like with him playing with offensive players. 

Well, look at it this way. If the likes of Linden Vey can get offensive opportunities, I see no reason why Brendan, who's bigger and is far more rounded than Vey, cannot get at least half of the opportunities that Vey got. 

33 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Well, look at it this way. If the likes of Linden Vey can get offensive opportunities, I see no reason why Brendan, who's bigger and is far more rounded than Vey, cannot get at least half of the opportunities that Vey got. 

Their respective histories with their coaches might also play a role. Vey was one of Willie's top offensive producers in Medicine Hat. Gaunce was the same for Green in Utica (at least in terms of points per game/minute). So just like Vey was given opportunities by Desjardins, I could see Green giving Gaunce more of a look than he's received previously in Vancouver. 

Of course, it's not merely as simple as Green and Gaunce having history and this leading to Gaunce getting higher and better quality minutes. Gaunce will need to prove himself and compete with others for his role. But I do think having Green behind the bench gives him something of a leg up. Green understands Gaunce's game, knows his strengths and weaknesses (and where they can be improved), has learned the right buttons to push, and Green knows (and has seen in Utica) what kind of value Gaunce can bring to the lineup.

Hopefully this all leads to Gaunce taking the next step and becoming the player many of us believe he can be (at the NHL level).

It also wouldn't hurt if Gaunce managed to pot a few goals early and build some momentum. It can be tough to find your offense while playing limited minutes in a defensive role. Especially if you're not getting the bounces (and neither are your teammates). But we'll see what happens.

If nothing else, I believe Green may put Gaunce in a better situation to succeed than Desjardins (or a different replacement) might have done. But it will still be up to Gaunce to take advantage of whatever opportunities he's given. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Gaunce is a fourth liner, I don't think anyone will argue against that.

I don't think anyone's saying he should be playing on the second line. But he will get a regular role under Green and not be bounced for guys like Megna and Chaput. He'll probably also play with more talented players as well.

I'm thinking Gaunce Sutter Dorsett should be what we have penciled in before training camp. A solid shutdown line that plays a heavier game. That was what this team has been sorely lacking the last few seasons. 

I would argue with that. It is too early to bracket Gaunce a 4th liner imo.

Also WD never dropped Gaunce to play Megna as far as either of us know. Gaunce may have been rested but that is not unusual for a young player in his first season being played in a "heavy" role.

You may well be right about a heavy shut down line.

• -SN- locked this topic
On 7/20/2017 at 10:00 PM, -AJ- said:

In the AHL. The NHL is a different beast. That said I do believe that Green will be looking to give Gaunce a shot at the third line at some point. 

Didn't Gaunce some pretty meh wingers for a good chunk of the time this past season as a Canuck (as in AHL type linemates)?  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

On 8/3/2017 at 6:10 PM, komodo0921 said:

Gaunce could be a quality support player if he can start producing some offense.

Defensively, he's very reliable, rarely making mistakes, which is something to build off of. If all we get out of Gaunce is a reliable, defensive minded fourth liner, getting 16-20 pnts with very good defensive numbers, I'd be happy. IMO, he still has great potential to be a third liner. 

Another thing I want to see more of, out of him, is a higher level of intensity. He has shown a willingness to get dirty but doesn't use it, nearly, enough.

+100 just for you. ::D

Gaunchee pull.

I've been a Gaunche backer for a while. He plays a solid game and is a handful physically. He can play left wing or center so he is versatile and is also a dependable pker. He might turn out to be one of our best value players over the next two seasons.