The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Damn... I was really hoping Horvat would make his debut tonight.

They'll save that for the road. Less pressure.

Not uncommon for coaches to do that with young players.

Then they would have started him with an easy road opponent in EDM imo.

The main reason seems that he's not healthy enough to play, or that he just recently became healthy enough and hasn't had enough practices to get up to game speed.

5'11 155lbs players always drop. Think we'll draft a defender hopefully

Yeah I'm thinking he might drop as well due to size. I just want us to draft BPA. Shouldn't reach for a defender if there aren't any available where we pick - it might be worthwhile to trade down then though and pick up an extra pick.

Maybe Patrice Bergeron?

Such a fine line between Bergeron and Toews.. I wouldn't say there's that much of a difference.

Basically, whether it be Toews or Bergeron, you're asking whether Bo will be #1 or #2 in the league as a shutdown center a few years down the road.

Then they would have started him with an easy road opponent in EDM imo.

The main reason seems that he's not healthy enough to play, or that he just recently became healthy enough and hasn't had enough practices to get up to game speed.

Bingo. Which is why they didn't start him against Edmonton.

He may have been close enough tonight, but they didn't rush him, especially with the pressure of debuting at home.

Interesting. What range is he projected to go in at this point and what kind of a player is he?

If we make the playoffs as an 8th seed, would he be worth taking around 15-18 or is he more of a 20-30?

Fast hands, crafty, really good playmaker, good/fast skater.

Not the strongest shot, or the most physical.

Capable defensively.

Seems like someone who might play both Center & Wing at different points at the next level.

That's kind of what I got out of watching him in the Mem cup, and a few others times last year.

Bingo. Which is why they didn't start him against Edmonton.

He may have been close enough tonight, but they didn't rush him, especially with the pressure of debuting at home.

Now that I think about it, I think coaches prefer to start rookies at home rather than on the road.

The biggest thing would be that you have the last change and have the favourable matchups to ease the kid in. For instance, I'm sure Desjardins would rather face DAL (our next opponent) at home so that Horvat won't be caught out there against Benn, whereas in DAL I'm sure Ruff would take advantage of his home ice and exploit that matchup. Yes, Bo is better defensively than the average 19-year-old, but I think we all know he's not ready to take on the top lines in the NHL quite yet - especially on his first regular season game after missing time with an injury.

That being said, conditioning stint apparently. I'm glad he is getting a few games in the AHL before being thrown into the NHL regular season as a rookie. This will get him back up to speed. This also means that his 9 games should now include the Cali road trip against SJS, LA and ANA. Those are 3 games in 4 nights, so Bo might sit one of them out, but it'll be a good experience for him to play some games against the big boys.

Edited by Dasein

Lately it's been:

Shinkaruk - O'Reilly - Defazio

Archibald - Jeffery - Grenier

Kenins - Friesen - Jensen

Gaunce - Hamilton - Bancks

Lain, Zalewski

Last night, in the 2nd of a back to back after Gaunce had a strong game (arguably their best player so far) it was:

Shinkaruk - O'Reilly - Jensen

Gaunce - Hamilton - Bancks

Kenins - Jeffery - Defazio

Zalewski - Lain - Grenier

So C depth in Utica is O'Reilly, Jeffery, Friesen, Hamilton, and Lain, with another C in Gaunce on the wing. Going to be a shuffle to fit Horvat in, hopefully in an offensive role. Maybe the kid line we saw in the preseason? Shinkaruk - Horvat - Jensen, I doubt Green will risk it though.