The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

He's looking stronger every game. He has nothing left to learn in Junior.

Canucks are doing a great job of bringing him along and getting him success. He's running 10 - 12 min per night and is showing that he's a better skater than everyone thought.

Might not be the best sniper we've ever drafted, but he's got good passing skills and doesn't very often lose battles along the boards.

Just stop with the JR talk. He is never going back to Jr again. He is a full time NHLer now.

He's one of the best teenagers in the NHL. 50%+ on faceoffs +1 overall as a 4C on a low scoring team of recent times.

He draws in a lot of defenders and moves the puck really well in transition. Board play will get better, but he's developing pretty quickly.

Kenins on the other hand what a beast!

Is that even possible he's already like 215. For 6 feet that's pretty close to the most beefed up you can get.

I still think he gets beat in puck battles quite easily, maybe I want him to be more aggressive or get more physical. I think hitting the gym more often would help, he barely gets time I bet with so many quick games.

Schneider who?

Horvat's gonna be alright. Looks like he's gaining some confidence in his offensive game.

Cory Schneider 7-2-2 in the month of January? 922 save percentage ? Yea? He's making a bigger impact then horvat right now.

Anyone think he's playing Better then Kessler at e same age?

Kessler made the team out of draft, that said he was already 19, horvat a year later is 19, looking more and more like a season pro. Anyone remember Kelsers rookie year ?

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord

Here is a question for everyone:

Bo has started playing better offensively, his underlying numbers are still pretty replacement level. Playing in the NHL is beneficial to his development, but we could probably find a 4th line center for cheap if we wanted to for the remainder of the year.

Would you send him back to London before he plays 40 games and we lose a year of RFA? Or would you rather he stays with the team and see if he can earn his keep?

Why burden the cap with another pick up it make JB look stroke of genius by playing da kids an developing them under WD he is destined to play 2nd line one day as he continues to develop fine if Vey can play 2nd line now imagine with a year under belt what he may do next year.Bo should be shown second pp for a cup off coffee sometime just for fan appreaciation game. It has been so long to see impressive steady play by youth it is so refreshing an reinvigorating an gets us out of the stale play doldrums that sometimes lulls everyone to sleep

Cory Schneider 7-2-2 in the month of January? 922 save percentage ? Yea? He's making a bigger impact then horvat right now.

Anyone think he's playing Better then Kessler at e same age?

Kessler made the team out of draft, that said he was already 19, horvat a year later is 19, looking more and more like a season pro. Anyone remember Kelsers rookie year ?

kesler's rookie year was ho hum:

28GP, 2G, 3A, 5Pts, -2, 16 PIM

and he didn't really impress that much.

Edited by avelanch

Here is a question for everyone:

Bo has started playing better offensively, his underlying numbers are still pretty replacement level. Playing in the NHL is beneficial to his development, but we could probably find a 4th line center for cheap if we wanted to for the remainder of the year.

Would you send him back to London before he plays 40 games and we lose a year of RFA? Or would you rather he stays with the team and see if he can earn his keep?

I wanted to keep him up before and I want to keep even more now.

I still think he gets beat in puck battles quite easily, maybe I want him to be more aggressive or get more physical. I think hitting the gym more often would help, he barely gets time I bet with so many quick games.

Might just be an experience thing. There are guys who are in their 30s around the league are nowhere as strong as they used to be but they can win puck battles against younger players because of their experience.

Seriously, he's years ahead of Vey in faceoff and defensive awareness/reliability.

Vey as 17 pts (6 on the powerplay) compare to Horvat's 11pts (no PPP) in 11 more games and 3 minutes more of ice-time per game.

I still don't get why Horvat is sheltered like a baby and hasn't passed Vey on the depth chart yet. Skillwise, Vey might be better, but offensively speaking, Horvat is at least on par with Vey (and imo ahead).

Edited by timberz21

Linden Vey FO% playing center in the last 6 games with Richardson out:

33.33% (FLA), 83.33% (TBL), 66.67% (ANA), 57.14% (BUF), 36.36% (MIN), 57.14% (WPG)

Bo Horvat FO% playing center in the last 6 games with Richardson out:

33.33% (FLA), 36.36% (TBL), 43.75% (ANA), 64.29% (BUF), 30.00% (MIN), 55.56% (WPG)

Linden Vey had a better FO% in 4 games, tied with Bo in 1 game and did worse than Bo in 1 game.

Bo had 4 games below 50% while Linden had 2 games below 50%.

So years ahead might be a slight overstatement. I also think you are underselling Vey defensively to make Horvat look better in favour of your argument.

Am I saying Vey is better than Horvat defensively and on faceoffs? Absolutely not - that would be silly. It would be as silly as those who called Horvat our best faceoff man throughout the year because he has the best FO% on the team. Vey is taking some of the sheltered/limited draws that Horvat was taking and he's holding his own pretty well.

On the other hand, Horvat has had to take on some harder draws that Richardson would have taken when he was in the lineup. Since Richardson's been injured, Bo's FO% dropped in the last 7 games and he is now at 51.6%. That being said, Bo is still the only Canuck above 50% on faceoffs, and as a 19-year-old, that's amazing.

He's looking better every game. You just have to be patient and let him develop.

Linden Vey FO% playing center in the last 6 games with Richardson out:

33.33% (FLA), 83.33% (TBL), 66.67% (ANA), 57.14% (BUF), 36.36% (MIN), 57.14% (WPG)

Bo Horvat FO% playing center in the last 6 games with Richardson out:

33.33% (FLA), 36.36% (TBL), 43.75% (ANA), 64.29% (BUF), 30.00% (MIN), 55.56% (WPG)

Linden Vey had a better FO% in 4 games, tied with Bo in 1 game and did worse than Bo in 1 game.

Bo had 4 games below 50% while Linden had 2 games below 50%.

So years ahead might be a slight overstatement. I also think you are underselling Vey defensively to make Horvat look better in favour of your argument.

Am I saying Vey is better than Horvat defensively and on faceoffs? Absolutely not - that would be silly. It would be as silly as those who called Horvat our best faceoff man throughout the year because he has the best FO% on the team. Vey is taking some of the sheltered/limited draws that Horvat was taking and he's holding his own pretty well.

On the other hand, Horvat has had to take on some harder draws that Richardson would have taken when he was in the lineup. Since Richardson's been injured, Bo's FO% dropped in the last 7 games and he is now at 51.6%. That being said, Bo is still the only Canuck above 50% on faceoffs, and as a 19-year-old, that's amazing.

He's looking better every game. You just have to be patient and let him develop.

Good comments. I had noticed that Vey was doing better on faceoffs. He of course usually gets faceoffs on his strong side, just as Bo usually gets faceoffs on his strong side.

Both Horvat and Vey have made progress this year. And, given that Willie is regarded as one of the best coaches around for developing young players (with a very stong record in this area) I am guessing he knows what he is doing with Bo. He does not want to ask Bo to do too much too early.

Edited by JamesB
  • Upvote 1

Good comments. I had noticed that Vey was doing better on faceoffs. He of course usually gets faceoffs on his strong side, just as Bo usually gets faceoffs on his strong side.

Both Horvat and Vey have made progress this year. And, given that Willie is regarded as one of the best coaches around for developing young players (with a very stong record in this area) I am guessing he knows what he is doing with Bo. He does not want to ask Bo to do too much too early.

Yeah, both rookies have made progress in areas that weren't considered their strengths this season

Now if only WD's message could get through to Kassian...

Edited by Dasein
  • Upvote 1

horvat and kenins look like a match made in heaven. they are really gelling out there.

I think they need to find that extra forward who can help them counter against the easier matchups they'll face, but not be a liability if that line gets out against tough competition. I really liked how Burrows played with Horvat during some of the limited time they've had together and wouldn't mind that at all...

Yeah, both rookies have made progress in areas that they weren't considered their strengths this season

Now if only WD's message could get through to Kassian...

...Or this, where if Kassian is willing to play ball, then he could match very well. One thing with Kassian is he seems to change how he plays sometimes based on what linemates he has. If he gets put with the Sedins, he tries to cycle with them along the boards and play a 'pretty' game. Put him with plugs and he reverts to the baser instincts of violence.

I think he'd match well with Kenins and Horvat where they'd be hard on the forecheck and using their speed to breakout and drive to the net. Have them out there for high intensity 20-30 second shifts and that would be a lot to handle for any line