The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, meh_wassup said:

@J.R.

Also, apparently management has asked Virtanen to hit less and focus more on offense. They took away the only thing he did very well consistently this last year.

I agree with the management if that's what they did. This is where Virt needs to really step in, forget hitting when it's not necessary and focus on finding ways to score which is way more valuable and entertaining

15 minutes ago, BlackBeard said:

I agree with the management if that's what they did. This is where Virt needs to really step in, forget hitting when it's not necessary and focus on finding ways to score which is way more valuable and entertaining

As long as he doesn't get himself out of the play to hit (which he doesn't), hitting doesn't limit his scoring. I get that they want him to score more, we all do, but that best way to do that is if he gets some minutes and he can't do that on the big club. Best move would be to send him down.

Anyways, this is the Horvat thread, so I'll end by saying that this kid is alright. And he will be alright when the team starts trending on the upswing.

Interesting stat

And to think that Bo mostly gets D zone starts!

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff  6m6 minutes ago

#Canucks scoring in 53GP in 2016 (Jan 1-Oct 31):

Horvat 18+16=34

D. Sedin 14+14=28

H. Sedin 5+22=27

Hansen 12+8=20

Baertschi 10+9=19

• Upvote 2

On October 26, 2016 at 2:39 PM, meh_wassup said:

Horvat between Eriksson and Hansen might work. Give the kid some quality linemates and see how far he takes it. Put Sutter on a line with Granlund and Baertschi. The forward group needs a shake-up.

^^^^ This 

Put Sutter with the twins. Move Granlund to center between Baer and Virtannen and leave the 4th line as is. Give it a shot and see what happens. 

13 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

If we don't find some skilled players for Bo to play with his development will take a big hit offensively.  

IMO, he needs complimentary style (North/South, counter punching, tenacious puck pursuit, fast, big) players with enough talent and experience to bury rebounds etc he creates. (As Baggins mentioned elsewhere yesterday, he could also stand to use his wingers more. particularly on the rush).

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter/Hansen

Baer, Granlund, Eriksson

Virtanen, Horvat, Hansen/Sutter

Burr, Gaunce, Dorsett

Though swapping the 2nd/3rd RW's could be an occasional experiment as well to give those two lines different looks and more of a mix of play makers/shooters.

2 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

Is there anyone that doubts that bo is our best player? that fire in is his eyes during that fight. guy will die for this team.

For his age Horvat is a standout. I put Hanson above Horvat in the best forward ranking. Hanson was hands down the best Canuck player last night with Markstrom a close 2nd.

I'm noticing that Horvat seems to be faltering a bit in some common defensive metrics. His face-off percentage is the worst among centres who regularly take face-offs (so excluding Granlund) and his +/- is looking poor again this year.

I'm just taking a look at his other defensive stats now and they're slightly better--he has three blocked shots, but only three giveaways to seven takeaways. He has one of the lowest Corsi and Fenwick numbers on the team as well.

Is all of this just a product of how he is used or has he completely changed his game to an offensively-minded game? Perhaps it's the team's fault and his stats are being dragged down by others? Even then, relative to the rest of the team, his numbers look poor.

I'm not meaning to hate on Horvat, as he's actually one of my favourite Canucks, but his defensive numbers are concerning.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ajhockey said:

I'm noticing that Horvat seems to be faltering a bit in some common defensive metrics. His face-off percentage is the worst among centres who regularly take face-offs (so excluding Granlund) and his +/- is looking poor again this year.

I'm just taking a look at his other defensive stats now and they're slightly better--he has three blocked shots, but only three giveaways to seven takeaways. He has one of the lowest Corsi and Fenwick numbers on the team as well.

Is all of this just a product of how he is used or has he completely changed his game to an offensively-minded game? Perhaps it's the team's fault and his stats are being dragged down by others? Even then, relative to the rest of the team, his numbers look poor.

I'm not meaning to hate on Horvat, as he's actually one of my favourite Canucks, but his defensive numbers are concerning.

the team isn't doing that great either. it's a team game. a players success is often the by product of their team's play and success or lack thereof. this version of the canucks aren't doing any players any favors. Danny is on pace for 47 points. is that his fault or the team he's been surrounded with this season?