The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

The thing with Bo is that he's extremely streaky. I swear, I've never seen a player so streaky in my life. 

He'll look completely unstoppable for a string of games and then he'll hit a long slump.

My hope with Bo is that he finds consistency. He'd be quite a player if he does. 

• Upvote 1

I disagree at the start of the year was more bad luck then him not being consistent!far as streaky the canucks have had players in the past that were just that.Bo plays the same way ever game you just notice more when he puts up points!

I'd like to see Bo actually anchoring the third line and take some heat off his shoulders. When Sutter is heathy, he will be a guud number two center and Bo can play against weaker opponents for his third year. This will help him gain confidence and score at a more efficient rate.

On July 9, 2016 at 7:57 PM, guntrix said:

The thing with Bo is that he's extremely streaky. I swear, I've never seen a player so streaky in my life. 

He'll look completely unstoppable for a string of games and then he'll hit a long slump.

My hope with Bo is that he finds consistency. He'd be quite a player if he does. 

It isn't unusual for 1st and 2nd year pros to be streaky.  Patience for our younger players is advised.  We have good future with Bo. Let's give it a bit of time. 

22 hours ago, smokes said:

I'd like to see Bo actually anchoring the third line and take some heat off his shoulders. When Sutter is heathy, he will be a guud number two center and Bo can play against weaker opponents for his third year. This will help him gain confidence and score at a more efficient rate.

A lesser player could have been seriously shaken by the positions Horvat was placed in his first 2 seasons. Starting the year at 3C could be a ideal spot for him to flourish. Yes I want more consistency in his ppg but also an opportunity to re-establish his FO%. Sutter should take the #1 FO spot and Bo takes #2. Opposition C's should be weaker.  

Willie on Bo Horvat:

“I thought a little bit I was playing to his weakness. Ah, I don’t know. It’s not his weakness, but the strength of his game is playing great defence,” Willie Desjardins said. “It’s not forcing the offence.

“It’s funny, because the past couple of games I put him on a more defensive line. I wanted him to be more of a shutdown guy.

“And he’s responded with great efforts.

“I see him as a real good checking centre.”

As you can see Bo will not be getting the luxury of offensive minutes and easy assignments. Quite the opposite and his job will be to take the heat off of what Willie does think is an offensive scoring center: Brandon Sutter. 

30 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Willie on Bo Horvat:

“I thought a little bit I was playing to his weakness. Ah, I don’t know. It’s not his weakness, but the strength of his game is playing great defence,” Willie Desjardins said. “It’s not forcing the offence.

“It’s funny, because the past couple of games I put him on a more defensive line. I wanted him to be more of a shutdown guy.

As you can see Bo will not be getting the luxury of offensive minutes and easy assignments. Quite the opposite and his job will be to take the heat off of what Willie does think is an offensive scoring center: Brandon Sutter. 

We will know you are right if Bo plays on a line with Dorsett.  I see Bo as an upgrade on Sutter in every facet, I would prefer Bo on line 2 with Baer and Etem or Virt.  I can accept him with any line mate other than Dorsett.  Bo has a nose for the net and he uses his wingers.  Admittedly I don't have a large body of work on Sutter, I hope he kills it and we truly have line 2 and 2A.  Willie's comments lead me to think Timberwolf is right though, Bo will be used as a 3rd line grinder despite equaling Sutter's best point total after only 2 seasons.  Although I'm biased bout Bo...you know.

On July 9, 2016 at 3:57 PM, guntrix said:

I'm not too sure I'd say streaky. He's only 2 seasons into his career. As a rookie he was playing 4th line minutes, gradually earning his place. Last season he got thrown into a much larger role once Sutter went down. I'm sure he was overwhelmed and it took time to gain his confidence back. Then he got hot and had a great second half. I think the sample size is much too short to determine that he'll hit a long slump after some great play. Most players break out in their 3rd season. I'm hoping this is true for Bo. Consistency will come with more confidence. Take away some of the pressure with Sutter back and I think we will see a much more consistent and productive Bo this season. Looking forward to it.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

Willie on Bo Horvat:

Please don't tell me they're going to try and mold him into a Manny Malhotra type player. He has way too much offensive upside to just be a shutdown center.

Yes he needs to take care of his own end, but if he's capable of creating offense with skilled players let him do it. Willie's assessment of talent isn't very good if all he's sees in Bo is a real good checking center.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Please don't tell me they're going to try and mold him into a Manny Malhotra type player. He has way too much offensive upside to just be a shutdown center.

Yes he needs to take care of his own end, but if he's capable of creating offense with skilled players let him do it. Willie's assessment of talent isn't very good if all he's sees in Bo is a real good checking center.

I will give Willie benefit of the doubt here. I think Willie wanted Bo to have completely accomplishes his defensive game before he goes out there to get his offence. Because that's what Crow did to Kesler when Kesler first enter to the league. Crow used Kesler as a checking center giving him all the tough assignments and made Kesler a great shut-down before he gets going with his offence later on in his career. Kesler has credited Crow that making him playing perfect defensive hockey early in his career really helped him. Here is hoping Willie is just trying to do that to Bo and let him be good defensively before he gets his offensive game going.

On 7/12/2016 at 10:21 AM, TimberWolf said:

Willie on Bo Horvat:

I am just not a fan of Willie at all. I look forward to whoever is next.

• Upvote 1

On 2016-07-12 at 2:01 PM, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

We will know you are right if Bo plays on a line with Dorsett.  I see Bo as an upgrade on Sutter in every facet, I would prefer Bo on line 2 with Baer and Etem or Virt.  I can accept him with any line mate other than Dorsett.  Bo has a nose for the net and he uses his wingers.  Admittedly I don't have a large body of work on Sutter, I hope he kills it and we truly have line 2 and 2A.  Willie's comments lead me to think Timberwolf is right though, Bo will be used as a 3rd line grinder despite equaling Sutter's best point total after only 2 seasons.  Although I'm biased bout Bo...you know.

Agreed:  It's a given that he'll have his share of defensive zone starts and shutdown assignments.  The real question is who his wingers will be. If he gets some time with Baertschi and/or Eriksson, then they're giving him a chance at 2C.  If its Etem, Virtanen, and/or Rodin, then he's the 3C.  If it's Dorsett or Burrows, they're  giving Granlund equal billing, which would totally suck. 

From the other stuff we've seen and heard from Willie though, I don't think he's saying he's JUST a good checking centre.

Remember when they welcomed him to the team, the prelude was Willie pressuring him to keep going to the net to score.

He's just saying that a -30 season isn't what Horvat's going to be known for, because he won't usually be in a place where the team needs him forcing his offence so much.

• Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 1:18 AM, DeNiro said:

IMO the concern that management has had is that Horvat has been pushed along to quickly in his first 2 years. Huge pressure on the kid. Dropping him to 3C would allow weaker line matching with PK duty. If he catches fire, like any player, will get him more TOI. The idea that a coach develops a player to match some other players persona makes no sense.

In both his seasons Horvat found a 2nd gear in the last 2 months of the season producing close to a ppg. If he can, I expect he will, start producing earlier in the season the Canucks will have a great year.  

• 2 weeks later...

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/bo-horvat-qa-young-canuck-on-pushing-his-pace-virtanens-consistency-quest-willies-systems-challenge-mounting-that-tv

Mostly fluff but it's good hear hear him say " I obviously want to be a No. 1 centre some day".  What matters is that he still sees himself as this kind of player, whatever Willie may think.  Clearly he'll learn what he can from Willie and play the role he's given but  just force the issue with his play.  This guy has already shown an ability to identify what he needs to work on and make dramatic improvements:  " I want to keep improving my speed and quickness and working on my shot is going to be huge, too".  He's thinking offense here and can plausibly aim to become a Bergeron or Kopitar type of 1C and certainly has the determination to get there.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Bo Horvat takes Canucks TV on a tour of the family farm in Rodney, Ont. and shares how he likes to recharge and reconnect in the summer.

Absolutely loved the video. Not only is Bo a good player but he's also a humble, hard working confident individual. 

• Upvote 1