The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

13 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Yeah because you're wrong lol.

Minnesota

Columbus 

A depth chart is not the same thing as player valuation.

Edler, on his own is a #2D. Doesn't matter what team he's on or what their depth chart looks like.

...Lol

Edited by aGENT

54 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

We have no requirement to protect him if he doesn't have an NMC, but he surely will.

Agents are aware of the upcoming expansion just as much as management. Unless Edler has a dumb agent, he's not going to sign a contract that would force him to move and get stuck on an expansion team at 34 years old.

And I like Edler but he's not a #2 on a true contender. I think we've been god awful for so long, people forgot what real elite teams look like. On a real elite team, Edler is a #3/4 and is definitely not on a top PP unit. Not to mention, that's the case today, who knows what he'll be like in 3 or 4 years. It's not uncommon for players to really drop off or even completely fall off a cliff in their mid 30's.

Which defenseman on the 2011 Canucks is Edler worse than? I'd say only Ehrhoff and even then I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Edler's current defense is far greater than Ehrhoff's and his offense is similar, albeit in different ways (more passing than shooting).

Either way, when I say he's a #2D, I say so on the average team. If we're going by elite team standards, then you start saying absurd stuff like Brent Burns or Erik Karlsson is a #2D. Of course Edler isn't a #2 on that team, but on the average team, I think he is.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

When have 2nd pairing D-men ever garnered 6.5M+ mid-long term contracts? Especially when they'll be 33 years old at the start of the contract. I'm a fan of Edler but he's no 6 million dollar+ player, even with today's cap.

You're right on the 2nd point, though. Giving him a 3rd year would be a big mistake because of the upcoming expansion draft. Last thing we need is losing an asset because we wanted or had to  keep a 34 year-old 2nd-pairing D-man (if he is still that in 2 years).

Keep it down to 2 years and bump the AAV and give him the full NMC to make up for it.

No offense, but you have no idea, apparently, what type of NHL player makes 6.5 mill these days. Spend a minute or two and look up NHL D men that have stats comparable to Edler and see what they make.

Yep...that is what they make. And it is hilarious you think Edler is a 2nd pairing D man. Hahaha. Silly boy!

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

A depth chart is not the same thing as player valuation.

Edler, on his own is a #2D. Doesn't matter what team he's on or what their depth chart looks like.

...Lol

I mean we can agree to disagree on how to evaluate and label players but I don't see how you can logically call a player "X" if he's only "X" on half the teams in the league (at best) and most of those teams are the bad.

6 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No offense, but you have no idea, apparently, what type of NHL player makes 6.5 mill these days. Spend a minute or two and look up NHL D men that have stats comparable to Edler and see what they make.

Yep...that is what they make. And it is hilarious you think Edler is a 2nd pairing D man. Hahaha. Silly boy!

No offense but the way people talk about our players here you'd think we've won the cup the last 5 years and they're all going to the hall.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

No offense but the way people talk about our players here you'd think we've won the cup the last 5 years and they're all going to the hall.

What are you even typing about? Who said that? 

No one. That is who.

This is the Edler thread. He is a very good D man. Move on boyo.

8 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I mean we can agree to disagree on how to evaluate and label players but I don't see how you can logically call a player "X" if he's only "X" on half the teams in the league (at best) and most of those teams are the bad.

Nope. Your just wrong.

In your little 'system', Edler is actually our '#1D'. He's our best D who plays the most minutes, in the most situations, against tough competition, while also putting up points. Our best, or '#1' D in your estimation.

Do you think Tampa or LA would trade their '#1D' (using your asinine depth chart valuation) straight across for ours?

Of course not! That's not how GM's determine trade/player value. Because Edler is a #2D, regardless of what team he's on. 

That some teams are fortunate to have multiple #1D and/or #2D (who would be roughly equal/maybe slightly better than Edler depending on team/player) has no bearing on his valuation.

Just like when Subban arrived in Nashville, his playing the third most minutes did not make him a #3D. If you cannot see how ridiculously flawed your thinking on this is...

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

What are you even typing about? Who said that? 

No one. That is who.

This is the Edler thread. He is a very good D man. Move on boyo.

Just based on the general / consensus opinions on this board. People are very emotional, look at the team with rose-colored glasses.

I think a lot of people don't realize that we've been a dumpster fire for a long time now and usually players that play on dumpster fires aren't that great.

However if you read, for example, this thread or the Gudbranson thread, you'd think we have some of the best players in the league lol.

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

Nope. Your just wrong.

In your little 'system', Edler is actually our '#1D'. He's our best D who plays the most minutes, in the most situations, against tough competition, while also putting up points. Our best, or '#1' D in your estimation.

Do you think Tampa or LA would trade their '#1D' (using your asinine depth chart valuation) straight across for ours?

Of course not! That's not how GM's determine trade/player value. Because Edler is a #2D, regardless of what team he's on. 

That some teams are fortunate to have multiple #1D and/or #2D (who would be roughly equal/maybe slightly better than Edler depending on team/player) has no bearing on his valuation.

Just like when Subban arrived in Nashville, his playing the third most minutes did not make him a #3D. If you cannot see how ridiculously flawed your thinking on this is...

You're confused. Subban would be the #1 D-man on a lot of teams, including some of the best teams, therefore he is a #1 regardless of where Nashville slots him.

In the same way, Malkin is #1 C because he would be the #1 on almost every team except maybe a handful, at most, even though he's not on his own team.

That is NOT the same as Edler, because he would NOT be a #2 D on most teams (including almost all the best ones; see my non-exhaustive list in previous posts).

What he is on our team is irrelevant. It's not really important in the grand scheme of things where a player fits on a bad team because bad teams are irrelevant when it comes to the ultimate goal of sports which is to win the championship.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

He's a #5 on Nashville

He's a #3 on Tampa

He's a #4 on Winnipeg

He's a #3 on Toronto

He's a #2/3 on Calgary

He's a #4 on San Jose (maybe 3 this year with Vlasic's off year)

See what I mean?

Please post all of the 31 teams and mention where you're think Edler fits. I'm curious.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Just based on the general / consensus opinions on this board. People are very emotional, look at the team with rose-colored glasses.

I think a lot of people don't realize that we've been a dumpster fire for a long time now and usually players that play on dumpster fires aren't that great.

However if you read, for example, this thread or the Gudbranson thread, you'd think we have some of the best players in the league lol.

You're confused. Subban would be the #1 D-man on a lot of teams, including some of the best teams, therefore he is a #1 regardless of where Nashville slots him.

In the same way, Malkin is #1 C because he would be the #1 on almost every team except maybe a handful, at most, even though he's not on his own team.

That is NOT the same as Edler, because he would NOT be a #2 D on most teams (including almost all the best ones; see my non-exhaustive list in previous posts).

What he is on our team is irrelevant. It's not really important in the grand scheme of things where a player fits on a bad team because bad teams are irrelevant when it comes to the ultimate goal of sports which is to win the championship.

Yes, he would.

I'm not the one who is confused.

20 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Edler is week to week but now on LTIR. Would be shocked to see him within 2 weeks. 

Pulled this quote off another thread. Can't find any source for the LTIR claim, but if true, means he's gone for 24 days/ 10 games.

Thinking AE is on IR not LTIR. ( hopefully ! )

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Pulled this quote off another thread. Can't find any source for the LTIR claim, but if true, means he's gone for 24 days/ 10 games.

Thinking AE is on IR not LTIR. ( hopefully ! )

Since LTIR can be applied retroactively, it wouldn't make sense to put him on LTIR yet until it's determined he will be out long term. It's not like we have a cap crunch right now.

• Thanks 1

When I first saw it, it looked like he broke his neck, the way his body was twisted one way and his head the other. Smacking face first on the ice like that looked brutal. He's really fortunate it isn't worse. Hopefully he can return this season without any problems. There's only around 8 weeks of hockey left until the playoffs, and they could be without their #1 Dman and #1LW for most of it.

I was listening to 650 on my way home. I think Sat proposed this idea. I first thought it was silly, but thinking about it it's not a bad idea. 

Sounds like Edlers camp wants 4 years, but will probably settle for 3. They are figuring $5 million per season. 

But what if management offers Edler some crazy money in exchange for a 2 year deal? 

He was suggesting $7.5 for two years  ($15 million either way). 

This means Edler is a security blanket in case some of our young defensemen don't develop right away. 

And will be off the books by the time EP40's entry level deal expires. 

• Cheers 1