The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

One of the things moving forward that most concerns me, is Edler's mobility.  He gets walked, lots. It is going to get worse.  Sooner than most will admit.

Nostalgia and living in the past is probably not what is best for this building team.

A tough choice needs to be made.  And Benning's statement about Alex not being replaceable right now from within is not likely, is true, all of it.  But it could be just platitudes,  as this comment does not necessarily indicate that the Canucks are also prepared to move forward without what Alex brings.  

He should have probably been re-signed by now if the Canucks were really afraid of losing what he brings to the organization.  Its very possible that we are seeing semi slick PR, a long let down, with fans coming to terms that Alex will probably leaving us the same way Hamhuis did, strung along until the last second, and then poof, gone.  This is what my gut tells me is going on.  If he was going to be signed, it would be done. Especially if he did give us a hometown discount. Speaking of, what would this be?

What if he wants 3 years?  Think he'd do 4-3-2? 9mil?  He can probably get 5milx3-4yrs on the open market.

1 year at a time? 3 mill per.

Or just cut him loose ala Hammer?

2years @ 5 Million which helps us avoid any issues with expansion draft. If Quinn Hughes plays any game this season and makes the team next year he will need protecting during the expansion draft, If Edler's play continues to remain the same then we can re-sign him after the expansion draft is completed.

9 hours ago, Qwags said:

I think Edler's contributions off the ice are underrated.

According to many on CDC, not a mentor, not a leader.

:rolleyes:

8 hours ago, xereau said:

What if he wants 3 years?  Think he'd do 4-3-2? 9mil?  He can probably get 5milx3-4yrs on the open market.

1 year at a time? 3 mill per.

Or just cut him loose ala Hammer?

6 hours ago, zombieksa said:

2years @ 5 Million which helps us avoid any issues with expansion draft. 

Some people not living in the present on cap hits for top 4 D these days...

On 1/15/2019 at 9:26 AM, aGENT said:

Yeah, anyone paying attention should realize that. He'd probably get $6.5 +/- x 4 years on the open market. If we can get him for anything close to $6 +/- and 3 years (including signing bonuses) we'll be lucky. Ideally only partial NTC the last year.

Even better if we can do 2 years at $7m +/- and have the option to extend him for cheaper in the third (and potentially fourth) year as that opens an ED protection slot and would also allow us a reduced AAV for the summer where both Hughes and Pettersson will likely need extending.

14 hours ago, xereau said:

One of the things moving forward that most concerns me, is Edler's mobility.  He gets walked, lots. It is going to get worse.  Sooner than most will admit.

I have to disagree with you there. He gets walked sometimes...like every D.

Guddy gets walked alot. Pouliot gets walked ALOT.

Edler does not imo.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I have to disagree with you there. He gets walked sometimes...like every D.

Guddy gets walked alot. Pouliot gets walked ALOT.

Edler does not imo.

Guddy gets beaten all the time on rushes by any fast player. I notice Edler often gets badly beaten by top-end skilled players, but rarely by lower-end players. Pouliot is just all-around bad defensively.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, canuck_in_england said:

Maybe this isn't the right place for this but I've seen a lot of proposals suggesting we deal Edler and then resign him in the summer. To me this seems optimistic at best. Does anyone have examples of players who have been dealt at the trade deadline and then resigned with the selling team come the summer?

It wasn't necessarily at the deadline but the caps traded orpik to Vegas, who then bought him out, only for orpik to resign with the caps. 

The NHLcleared them of all accusations but I have to believe this was a handshake deal.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, canuck_in_england said:

Maybe this isn't the right place for this but I've seen a lot of proposals suggesting we deal Edler and then resign him in the summer. To me this seems optimistic at best. Does anyone have examples of players who have been dealt at the trade deadline and then resigned with the selling team come the summer?

It's extremely rare in practice and is most often a pipe dream, though that's not to say it never happens, only that it's extremely rare.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

It wasn't necessarily at the deadline but the caps traded orpik to Vegas, who then bought him out, only for orpik to resign with the caps. 

The NHLcleared them of all accusations but I have to believe this was a handshake deal.

Thanks. It's hard to believe that a deal like this would happen without the knowledge of what the player wanted to do in the summer, by either the buyer or the seller. I think it must be almost impossible for this to happen to Edler.

1 hour ago, canuck_in_england said:

Thanks. It's hard to believe that a deal like this would happen without the knowledge of what the player wanted to do in the summer, by either the buyer or the seller. I think it must be almost impossible for this to happen to Edler.

It is almost impossible and extremely unlikely. And FYI, Vermette to Chicago (winning a cup) and then back to ARZ is probably the best, most recent example of it happening.

That said, Edler has stated his first choice is to remain in Vancouver. His family has grown up here, wife and kids have friends here/go to school here etc and he was quoted as being optimistic  about the state of the rebuild and wanting to see it through with the talented kids who have arrived/are coming. 

So we do know he wants to be back this summer. But again, as nice as it would be to have our cake and eat it too, it's highly unlikely the team, or he, risk him going to another team and far more likely we simply extend him

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/15/2019 at 9:26 AM, aGENT said:

Yeah, anyone paying attention should realize that. He'd probably get $6.5 +/- x 4 years on the open market. If we can get him for anything close to $6 +/- and 3 years (including signing bonuses) we'll be lucky. Ideally only partial NTC the last year.

Even better if we can do 2 years at $7m +/- and have the option to extend him for cheaper in the third (and potentially fourth) year as that opens an ED protection slot and would also allow us a reduced AAV for the summer where both Hughes and Pettersson will likely need extending.

When have 2nd pairing D-men ever garnered 6.5M+ mid-long term contracts? Especially when they'll be 33 years old at the start of the contract. I'm a fan of Edler but he's no 6 million dollar+ player, even with today's cap.

You're right on the 2nd point, though. Giving him a 3rd year would be a big mistake because of the upcoming expansion draft. Last thing we need is losing an asset because we wanted or had to  keep a 34 year-old 2nd-pairing D-man (if he is still that in 2 years).

Keep it down to 2 years and bump the AAV and give him the full NMC to make up for it.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

When have 2nd pairing D-men ever garnered 6.5M+ mid-long term contracts? Especially when they'll be 33 years old at the start of the contract. I'm a fan of Edler but he's no 6 million dollar+ player, even with today's cap.

You're right on the 2nd point, though. Giving him a 3rd year would be a big mistake because of the upcoming expansion draft. Last thing we need is losing an asset because we wanted or had to  keep a 34 year-old 2nd-pairing D-man (if he is still that in 2 years).

Keep it down to 2 years and bump the AAV and give him the full NMC to make up for it.

He's a #2d.

Even if we give him 3 (or 4) years, we have no requirement to protect him fyi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

He's a #2d.

Agreed. The way he's playing now, Edler is a solid #2 guy. A 45-50 point pace while also facing tons of tough competition and shot blocking like crazy definitely gets you into top pairing territory. Another factor that may play into his contract if he goes 3 or 4 years is that Eddie may want a NMC so that he doesn't have to worry about being exposed. I don't mind an NTC as much so we can still expose him if he's more expendable at that point, but if he wants a NMC, I'd hope we can get a major discount ($4.5M or less). I don't see Benning being willing to give him an NMC, so it's an unlikely situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

He's a #2d.

50 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Agreed. The way he's playing now, Edler is a solid #2 guy. A 45-50 point pace while also facing tons of tough competition and shot blocking like crazy definitely gets you into top pairing territory. Another factor that may play into his contract if he goes 3 or 4 years is that Eddie may want a NMC so that he doesn't have to worry about being exposed. I don't mind an NTC as much so we can still expose him if he's more expendable at that point, but if he wants a NMC, I'd hope we can get a major discount ($4.5M or less). I don't see Benning being willing to give him an NMC, so it's an unlikely situation.

We have no requirement to protect him if he doesn't have an NMC, but he surely will.

Agents are aware of the upcoming expansion just as much as management. Unless Edler has a dumb agent, he's not going to sign a contract that would force him to move and get stuck on an expansion team at 34 years old.

And I like Edler but he's not a #2 on a true contender. I think we've been god awful for so long, people forgot what real elite teams look like. On a real elite team, Edler is a #3/4 and is definitely not on a top PP unit. Not to mention, that's the case today, who knows what he'll be like in 3 or 4 years. It's not uncommon for players to really drop off or even completely fall off a cliff in their mid 30's.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

We have no requirement to protect him if he doesn't have an NMC, but he surely will.

Agents are aware of the upcoming expansion just as much as management. Unless Edler has a dumb agent, he's not going to sign a contract that would force him to move and get stuck on an expansion team at 34 years old.

And I like Edler but he's not a #2 on a true contender. I think we've been god awful for so long, people forgot what real elite teams look like. On a real elite team, Edler is a #3/4 and is definitely not on a top PP unit. Not to mention, that's the case today, who knows what he'll be like in 3 or 4 years. It's not uncommon for players to really drop off or even completely fall off a cliff in their mid 30's.

He's a #2d. What team he plays on doesn't factor in.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's a #2d. What team he plays on doesn't factor in.

He's a #5 on Nashville

He's a #3 on Tampa

He's a #4 on Winnipeg

He's a #3 on Toronto

He's a #2/3 on Calgary

He's a #4 on San Jose (maybe 3 this year with Vlasic's off year)

See what I mean?

Edited by kanucks25

11 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

He's a #5 on Nashville

He's a #3 on Tampa

He's a #4 on Winnipeg

He's a #3 on Toronto

He's a #2/3 on Calgary

He's a #4 on San Jose (maybe 3 this year with Vlasic's off year)

See what I mean?

That's not how this works.

• Like 1