The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

5 hours ago, Dannydog said:

playing in a contract year

You say contract year. I say a year where forwards are scoring more and getting points for the whole team. He is a stud and I hope he stands firm and doesn't waive. we need him here. Or we could just enjoy our team in Sept when the predictions are high like Edmonton. Or be there in April because we have a balanced team!

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

You say contract year. I say a year where forwards are scoring more and getting points for the whole team. He is a stud and I hope he stands firm and doesn't waive. we need him here. Or we could just enjoy our team in Sept when the predictions are high like Edmonton. Or be there in April because we have a balanced team!

Ok

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

No update for Edler @Wilbur:P

Edler = :goat: Canucks D:towel:

Here's Edler tops amongst all defence in games (7th overall)

Games Played

1  Henrik Sedin 1330
2  Daniel Sedin 1306
3  Trevor Linden 1140
4  Stan Smyl 896
5  Markus Naslund 884
6  Alexandre Burrows 822
7  Alexander Edler 786
8  Harold Snepsts 781
9  Mattias Ohlund 770
10  Dennis Kearns 677

He's 9th in all-time assist (behind only Kearns on defence)

1  Henrik Sedin 831
7  Dennis Kearns 290
8  Andre Boudrias 267
9  Alexander Edler 265
10  Todd Bertuzzi 261

Also 2nd in goals for Canuck defensemen

1  Mattias Ohlund 93
2  Alexander Edler 88
3  Jyrki Lumme 83

He's also got a shot at climbing a few more spots on the all-time points list if he continues at this pace

15  Petri Skriko LW 472 171 202 373
16  Greg Adams LW 489 179 190 369
17  Alexander Edler D 786 88 265 353
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

If Edler plays like this, I'm all for re-signing him to a 3 year $15M contract.

At this rate, $5M is the bare minimum he gets. I wouldn't be surprised to see some teams offer him closer to $6M if he keeps this up. I'm hoping Edler loves Vancouver enough to take less pay to stay here, but I'd love a deal around $5M.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

At this rate, $5M is the bare minimum he gets. I wouldn't be surprised to see some teams offer him closer to $6M if he keeps this up. I'm hoping Edler loves Vancouver enough to take less pay to stay here, but I'd love a deal around $5M.

Hate to break it to folks but given inflation etc $6m is probably closer to 'bare minimum' for his services. Particularly if we want to sign him for only 2 years (which would be preferable given the ED).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I only say 15 due to age

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hate to break it to folks but given inflation etc $6m is probably closer to 'bare minimum' for his services. Particularly if we want to sign him for only 2 years (which would be preferable given the ED).

Edler will take a discount to stay.  I am sure if the offer is made now with a NTC, so he doesn't get traded at the deadline he will take less than market value.  The guy loves being here.  What I find hilarious is how everyone wanted to trade him for a bag of pucks now wants him to take a discount.  I love Canucks fans.  He is picking up a lot more assists now because of the powerplay and where the goals are coming from.  The Sedins would always push the play down low as neither would look to shoot from side boards.  Boeser and Petterson have been ripping one-timers all season with Edler sliding the puck over.  Its crazy how a small detail like that can change someone's perception 180 about a player.  He has been the top minute defenseman through every coach he has ever had in Vancouver.  No real hockey people ever thought he was bad or close to it. 

1 minute ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Edler will take a discount to stay.  I am sure if the offer is made now with a NTC, so he doesn't get traded at the deadline he will take less than market value.  The guy loves being here.  What I find hilarious is how everyone wanted to trade him for a bag of pucks now wants him to take a discount.  I love Canucks fans.  He is picking up a lot more assists now because of the powerplay and where the goals are coming from.  The Sedins would always push the play down low as neither would look to shoot from side boards.  Boeser and Petterson have been ripping one-timers all season with Edler sliding the puck over.  Its crazy how a small detail like that can change someone's perception 180 about a player.  He has been the top minute defenseman through every coach he has ever had in Vancouver.  No real hockey people ever thought he was bad or close to it. 

Yeah but $6m IS a discount in today's cap dollars. He'd likely get $6.5-$7.5m +/- on the open market. Particularly on the shorter term we're hoping to sign him for.

On 12/21/2018 at 2:10 PM, -AJ- said:

Our games played give a misleading picture of us and the playoff race. We've played more games than anyone else in the league and therefore have had more chances to pick up points than anyone else. By point-percentage, we're 6th in the Pacific and 11th in the West. We're still a fair ways out of playoff contention.

We also have played a lot more road games and are .500 most teams with games in hand on us are below .500 on the road... If the Canucks play better at home they could snag a wild-card spot.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah but $6m IS a discount in today's cap dollars. He'd likely get $6.5-$7.5m +/- on the open market. Particularly on the shorter term we're hoping to sign him for.

I have no doubt he would get paid if he wanted to leave, but he has painted him self into a corner a little bit by consistently insisting that he only wants to stay.  Negotiation is all about leverage, and he has given his away.

3 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I have no doubt he would get paid if he wanted to leave, but he has painted him self into a corner a little bit by consistently insisting that he only wants to stay.  Negotiation is all about leverage, and he has given his away.

Not disagreeing. But they're not likely going to sign him for less than $5.5-$6.5 (with NTC) IMO.

20 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Pettersson and Juolevi give the leverage back to Edler.  Pettersson because he is ready to compete now.  Juolevi because his injury sets his timeline back.  Edler's agent knows the depth chart.  Tanev is also a UFA in a year and he is less likely to re-sign.  There's just no one to replace him.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Pettersson and Juolevi give the leverage back to Edler.  Pettersson because he is ready to compete now.  Juolevi because his injury sets his timeline back.  Edler's agent knows the depth chart.  Tanev is also a UFA in a year and he is less likely to re-sign.  There's just no one to replace him.  

Funny how fans can see things differently. I see Edler as having little leverage. IMHO the Canucks are another 3 years away from serious CUP play. I can see a 2 year deal with a NTC with a 3rd with none. I prefer keeping Edler over Tanev but will admit that Tanev's game has improved over the past month. I can see both wanting to resign but I hope Benning is much tougher with the NTC's and NMC's. Canucks can boost the $'s in exchange for shorter term. 

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Funny how fans can see things differently. I see Edler as having little leverage. IMHO the Canucks are another 3 years away from serious CUP play. I can see a 2 year deal with a NTC with a 3rd with none. I prefer keeping Edler over Tanev but will admit that Tanev's game has improved over the past month. I can see both wanting to resign but I hope Benning is much tougher with the NTC's and NMC's. Canucks can boost the $'s in exchange for shorter term. 

A 2 year deal would be ideal with the ED coming. Saves us a protection slot. Happy to give him full NTC first year, partial the 2nd and $6m+ for the courtesy. We have zero cap concerns those 2 years anyway.

After that we can certainly look at additional 1-2 year contracts as he trends down the depth chart.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

A 2 year deal would be ideal with the ED coming. Saves us a protection slot. Happy to give him full NTC first year, partial the 2nd and $6m+ for the courtesy. We have zero cap concerns those 2 years anyway.

After that we can certainly look at additional 1-2 year contracts as he trends down the depth chart.

Thing is, Edler has all the leverage. With the year he had this year and last, he could easily command 4+ years on the open market.

If he's willing to consider a 2-year deal, I'd flirt with giving him big bucks ($7.5M?) and a full NTC both years. Then he knows he gets to stay for the 2 years, and get more than he'd get on a longer term deal, then re-evaluate after the expansion draft. It's a lot of money, but that's the sort of money it will probably take for him to accept such a short term.

• Cheers 1

Just now, D-Money said:

Thing is, Edler has all the leverage. With the year he had this year and last, he could easily command 4+ years on the open market.

If he's willing to consider a 2-year deal, I'd flirt with giving him big bucks ($7.5M?) and a full NTC both years. Then he knows he gets to stay for the 2 years, and get more than he'd get on a longer term deal, then re-evaluate after the expansion draft. It's a lot of money, but that's the sort of money it will probably take for him to accept such a short term.

Yeah, sorry, the $6m+ I wrote probably could be more clear (the 'plus' in my head was closer to $7 give or take). I'd be happy to pay him +/- $7m to keep the term short/ED friendly.

• Cheers 1