The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

6 hours ago, Qwags said:

Edler has been consistently our best D-man over the last 8 years, on a team with a slowly worsening D core.

When Hammer left, it was essentially him and Tanev. 

Edler is our Ekman-Larsson.

Great d-man that played for a bad team for a long time. I think Luongo, Edler, and the Sedins were the best players on the team for way too long.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I was listening to 650 on my way home. I think Sat proposed this idea. I first thought it was silly, but thinking about it it's not a bad idea. 

Sounds like Edlers camp wants 4 years, but will probably settle for 3. They are figuring $5 million per season. 

But what if management offers Edler some crazy money in exchange for a 2 year deal? 

He was suggesting $7.5 for two years  ($15 million either way). 

This means Edler is a security blanket in case some of our young defensemen don't develop right away. 

And will be off the books by the time EP40's entry level deal expires. 

A reasonable idea except that Boeser+Edler could get pretty expensive in that case. Not a bad idea in all though.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

I honestly don't know why people were even still speculating.

-He wants to extend.

-We want to extend him.

-He's currently out with concussion, highly limiting any trade value he would have add if those first two points did not exist.

How ANYONE can still be thinking 'hey, maybe...' given those realities... :picard:

On 2/16/2019 at 3:18 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I was listening to 650 on my way home. I think Sat proposed this idea. I first thought it was silly, but thinking about it it's not a bad idea. 

Sounds like Edlers camp wants 4 years, but will probably settle for 3. They are figuring $5 million per season. 

But what if management offers Edler some crazy money in exchange for a 2 year deal? 

He was suggesting $7.5 for two years  ($15 million either way). 

This means Edler is a security blanket in case some of our young defensemen don't develop right away. 

And will be off the books by the time EP40's entry level deal expires. 

Was saying the same earlier.... No sure he'll bite, but agree totally... in two years he can, (if he wants to), be re-signed for low dollars making the cap more manageable...

He probably wants 4-5 years at 4.5-5... some serious negotiation to do...

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Was saying the same earlier.... No sure he'll bite, but agree totally... in two years he can, (if he wants to), be re-signed for low dollars making the cap more manageable...

He probably wants 4-5 years at 4.5-5... some serious negotiation to do...

Edler isn't getting 4 -5 years. I am hoping 3 with the 3rd having no NMC. Canucks cannot afford tying themselves up especially with the Seattle draft coming. I am hoping that in year 3 Edler will be on the 3rd pairing playing a vital shutdown role. There is no one on the roster right now how who plays a more punishing game, Guddy included. 

52 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Edler isn't getting 4 -5 years. I am hoping 3 with the 3rd having no NMC. Canucks cannot afford tying themselves up especially with the Seattle draft coming. I am hoping that in year 3 Edler will be on the 3rd pairing playing a vital shutdown role. There is no one on the roster right now how who plays a more punishing game, Guddy included. 

I would bet this is the one sticking problem right now, i hope the canucks don't do something stupid and give it to him i would rather see him walk at the end of the year.

6 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I would bet this is the one sticking problem right now, i hope the canucks don't do something stupid and give it to him i would rather see him walk at the end of the year.

I would be okay with it if Eddie is willing to take a massive discount...say less than $5M per year. Otherwise I'd really like to avoid a NMC in his 3rd year. I agree that it's probably the sticking point right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I would be okay with it if Eddie is willing to take a massive discount...say less than $5M per year. Otherwise I'd really like to avoid a NMC in his 3rd year. I agree that it's probably the sticking point right now.

I'm still not ok with it if you have to let a prospect go while protecting a 35 or 36 year old player on the downside of his career.

24 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

How do you reconcile a NMC with the expansion draft?

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I hope you’re right with the term, but I’m not sure he’ll sign a contract without a full NMC. 

In the end if its dollars give him a big number to sign a short term deal. 

But I do fear they will end up giving him a longer deal in order to make him stay. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not gonna lie, with Edler being out, I forgot how good he was. Seeing him play tonight reminded me of how good he really is for us. What a game defensively and offensively for him.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Not gonna lie, with Edler being out, I forgot how good he was. Seeing him play tonight reminded me of how good he really is for us. What a game defensively and offensively for him.

Thats the thing though, hes out alot. Similar to tamev amd Sutter, he cant help us from the IR.