The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

21 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Nice to see the Comets escape Wilkes Barre with a much needed victory. Subban was instrumental in today's win but a couple defencemen in Billins, McEneny and co did a good job keeping the Pens in check. Everyone forechecked and backchecked well and gave the Pens a hard time offensively. Demko with a spectacular performance in net yet again making 43 saves. Overall, a good afternoon and tough we weren't able to close it out in regulation but will take it with Albany struggling as of late. We deserve to sneak into the playoffs and with Goldy, Gaunce, Megna, Chaput, Bachman possibly all available for Utica after the Canucks season is over, we have a chance of making a magical deep run. Anything can happen once you're in. Go Comets!

i agree subban is very close to making the nhl.demko is an absolute work horse.he's a surefire starting goalie in the nhl soon.i'm going to watch gatineau vs cape breton.i watched the last game,zack macewan is great.i remember someone on here was critizing JB for that signing.watch him play first.he might help utica in the playoffs this year. 

1 hour ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

In that early game from today, Toronto beats St. John's 5-2 so the Comets remain one point back of the IceCaps but now with a game in hand. Syracuse and Albany play tomorrow, and the Comets should be cheering for the Crunch in that one.

Excellent. While they could still use some help, their fate is back in their own hands. Go Comets and go Crunch!

Hearing Zack MacEwen has finished his season in the QJHL,

any rumours of him dialling in with the Comets in the short term?

On 2017-04-04 at 3:07 PM, UticaHockey said:

Any update on Gaunce and is he at all close to returning?

On 2017-04-04 at 3:07 PM, UticaHockey said:

Any update on Gaunce and is he at all close to returning?

Haven't heard anything on Gaunce in a while; Benning's usually on the radio roughly once a week but didn't give any injury updates this week. The previous week he said Gaunce was "week-to-week" which doesn't sound promising given how little of the season is left, although he has been skating with the team.

With Albany winning yesterday, the comets are still in 4th, by the smallest of fractions, and are 2 points back of Albany with a game in hand. Every game right now is a must win for these guys. If they do make it, they would be playing the Marlies, or the Crunch in the first round I believe.

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Hearing Zack MacEwen has finished his season in the QJHL,

any rumours of him dialling in with the Comets in the short term?

We never hear anything early from our local media.  The best source of news regarding prospects that might be coming to Utica is usually Vancouver based Twitter feeds.

12 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Haven't heard anything on Gaunce in a while; Benning's usually on the radio roughly once a week but didn't give any injury updates this week. The previous week he said Gaunce was "week-to-week" which doesn't sound promising given how little of the season is left, although he has been skating with the team.

Here is the answer regarding Gaunce.  Not good.

A

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

Or is it great news?  If he is injured he may not be able to be exposed (or need to be protected) for the expansion draft.  I'm not 100% clear on the rules though.

4 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Crap.  Our opponents not making it easy on us either with Albany beating the Crunch.  Let's hope MRI turns out negative and he recovers and gets back in a couple of weeks, although I could see the Canucks brass holding him out.  He was playing well at NHL level and would surely help us.  

Marlies have Comet killer Cal O'Reilly in the lineup now too on loan from the Sabres.  I think he had 3 game winners against us already this year.  I have an extra ticket if any of you CDCers want to come to Utica.  Big big game on Sunday too against the Ice Caps.  I will type this in all caps so the Canucks brass can hear me SEND GOLDOBIN!  

Comets looking very good on the number of people who have re-upped their season tickets.  I tried to improve my seats and I didn't move quickly enough.  I think they had a 92% return rate and have a wait list from the previous season where people wanted to get season tickets. Should have technical "sell outs" of 98% of tickets or whatever the number is for all the games next year.  It will be interesting to see what impact the changes to the Aud over the summer will have.  Adding 4 new luxury suites and a loge level, maybe 80 more seats or so, a badly needed women's bathroom, and some other improvements you won't be able to see like a sprinkler system.  

3 hours ago, Borvat said:

A

Or is it great news?  If he is injured he may not be able to be exposed (or need to be protected) for the expansion draft.  I'm not 100% clear on the rules though.

He will still be exposed, but now there is less chance that he will be taken. But barring any trades, Sbisa seems much more likely to be taken in the ED, since he is more proven than Gaunce and Dmen currently have more value.

3 hours ago, Borvat said:

A

I'm pretty damn sure Vegas wouldn't take guance with his whopping ZERO goals and five assists this year...

Archived