The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New arena

captainhorvat

I was jus thinking that rogers arena is 20 years old now and could possibly be around for another 20 but anyone ever think if a new arena is needed, where would the new location be? Im trying to think of a new location in downtown but cant really think of a spot. Any ideas?

Rogers Arena is already downtown in a great location... if anything we'd renovate it much like what we did with BC Pavillion

Arena's cost hundreds of millions of dollars and usually comes from tax payer money through the city, so no this is not a good idea.

I have season tickets....and when you look at the prices preseason tickets are going for in Edmonton.....

New arena would be nice.  Soon Calgary and Ottawa will have new places....we will have the oldest Arena in Canada.

BUT it's something that won't even get discussed for another decade.  I don't see taxpayers interested in spending a billion to replace a decent arena.

White Rock, at the end of the pier.  Let's face it, Vancouver is cursed as a city.  Look at the Whitecaps, they lead the MLS in fouls so clearly the ref bias extends beyond the NHL.  Vancouver will never win a cup but you can bet your sweet bippy White Rock could. 

OP, welcome to the boards, but this is our friendly way to remind new posters that not every thought you have deserves a thread. This would go great as a status update though, so next time you get a simpler thought that doesn't really require the attention of a new thread (like who we're going to draft in 2020) then think about doing that instead.

10 minutes ago, goblix said:

Rogers Arena is already downtown in a great location... if anything we'd renovate it much like what we did with BC Pavillion

Arena's cost hundreds of millions of dollars and usually comes from tax payer money through the city, so no this is not a good idea.

Evidently so does renovating, with the ridiculous money spent on renovating BC Place a few extra million could of garnered a state of the art stadium capable of hosting actual football games instead of that joke sport called the CFL.

2 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

OP, welcome to the boards, but this is our friendly way to remind new posters that not every though you have deserves a thread. This would go great as a status update though, so next time you get a simpler thought that doesn't really require the attention of a new thread (like who we're going to draft in 2020) then think about doing that instead.

It was one thread relax. Are you the forum police? Its something thats never discussed so i felt it was worth starting a thread.

Just now, Tre Mac said:

Evidently so does renovating, with the ridiculous money spent on renovating BC Place a few extra million could of garnered a state of the art stadium capable of hosting actual football games instead of that joke sport called the CFL.

CFL stadiums are much larger and I would assume from being larger it also costs much more. The two points I made were separated for a reason.

The first was, we wouldn't move the Canucks to a new location because the current location is accessible via multiple modes of transportation thus we would renovate the said arena.

Secondly was that costs in all things Arena are high, yes renovating or building a new one. My point here was that it's going to need more of a purpose than the allure of a shiny new toy

I'm trying not to sounds snarky in the above, it's understandable why you may of construe the two together.

On BC Place, the cost was insane but the arena does look pretty cool. I enjoy driving by it on the georgia viaduct and looking at the lights and it is quite unique. I'll also remind you that BC Place does host whitecaps, rugby international, live venues and not just the CFL.

2 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

So its possible that canucks could still be playing at rogers arena in another 30 years? I guess the aqulinis would keep it as a state of the art arena, similar to msg.

It's a lot less possible they're playing anywhere else 

Interestingly enough, the Canucks have played at Rogers nearly as long as the Pacific Coliseum, that being said, there's nothing that Rogers doesn't have that aren't being put in new arenas that would significantly increase the experience and it has the capacity to implement them as well.

Archived