The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

47 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Of course but not if you are only going to complain that I am being to mean to our prospects.  Contribute to the actually discussion or get lost.  All of this is stemming from the fact that I said it's not fair to use Lidstrom as a ceiling for Juolevi...this is ridiculous.  

The sky is the ceiling for any high drafted prospect, whether they fail to live up to their comparisons or whether they thrive past them is all up to the player.

• Upvote 1

There's one thing in Olli's game that, if he improves, he'll be a homerun player.

To me, if he finds a way to gain control of the puck in transition, for receiving or retrieving a puck, he'll be a dominant player. What I mean by this is that when Olli has time and space to make a play he makes unbelievably smart and better plays; the strengths we know and love. However, he does seem slower in transition in comparison to other top end defensive prospects in the flow of the game. For example, I notice time and time again when he receives a pass from D to D or is trying to transition the puck forward, he doesn't have great control of the puck to make a play. Once he gets two or three strides with the puck and it's in his wheelhouse, then he can make plays. However, the on and off his stick transition could be faster and where I see the biggest impact in his game. If he can tighten up that aspect of his game while processing the game at the level he does now, he can break defences open in transition.

He also needs to put on some weight and work on his shot - seems like he shoots muffins.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, junglesniper said:

There's one thing in Olli's game that, if he improves, he'll be a homerun player.

To me, if he finds a way to gain control of the puck in transition, for receiving or retrieving a puck, he'll be a dominant player. What I mean by this is that when Olli has time and space to make a play he makes unbelievably smart and better plays; the strengths we know and love. However, he does seem slower in transition in comparison to other top end defensive prospects in the flow of the game. For example, I notice time and time again when he receives a pass from D to D or is trying to transition the puck forward, he doesn't have great control of the puck to make a play. Once he gets two or three strides with the puck and it's in his wheelhouse, then he can make plays. However, the on and off his stick transition could be faster and where I see the biggest impact in his game. If he can tighten up that aspect of his game while processing the game at the level he does now, he can break defences open in transition.

He also needs to put on some weight and work on his shot - seems like he shoots muffins.

I can live with that 

nice review. 

1 hour ago, junglesniper said:

Nice post. Put into words what I had in mind but couldn't.

I think his ability to read the situations to see what options are available and his ability to choose the best option among the available options is at an elite level.

To see why this is important, compare this to a player, who has tunnel vision and is unable to assess all available options in a short amount of time or a player who can see all the available options but does not always make the optimal decision. 

Us fans in the stands or watching on TV can see all available options because we have the bird's eye view. The players cannot see all the options so when we see a player miss an opportunity to break out on what looks like an obvious passing option, we criticize them, not realizing that the best option was not visible to the player in question.  With OJ, I think there will be far less criticism in this regards compared to other players but as you said, if he does not learn to transition faster so that the options that he sees don't disappear, he won't amount to anything better than a top 4.

However, if he is able to do it, then he will be an elite level defenceman. That's how I feel about OJ.

I think he definitely has the IQ and smarts to be able to do that. If you guys are referring specifically to today's game, it looked like any ability to do that was prevented by either his forwards not giving him options or Owen Sound simply relentlessly attacking the puck. In comparison, the Attack's defenseman would strip the London forward at the blue line, make a D to D pass and then quickly get it up to the forwards. 

But you guys are right. If he can learn to do that consistently and effectively, it will pretty much solidify his position as a #2. He's still young enough to learn that too. 

8 hours ago, J.R. said:

You would be wise to note that as far as I saw, we all said he's far, FAR more likely to fall short of that lofty ceiling. 

Since you're such a fan of quotes, perhaps you can show us were someone posted that we thought was he was for sure, or even likely to be Lidstrom 2.0?

Let's do it your way then...

I think Horvat's ceiling is Gretzky but he'll probably fall short. Did I do it right? 

What's the point then? 

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Show me where I said his ceiling was lidstrom 

Show me where I didn't say they (experts) had made that call.

The problem is worthless fans like yourself can't actually talk about a prospect unless it's negative and instead fabricate arguments with other posters by claiming they stated things that they never actually said

Waiting for argumentative response ignoring anything to do with Juolevi written from HBH's safe room 

Speaking about irrelevant... you attacked a post calling the Lidstrom ceiling post silly by talking about expert opinions, none of which ever mentioned any of that. But those are your posts in a nutshell: full of emotional rants, over complications and too much analysis, so much so that you yourself take the discussion off course. 

Take a chill pill on the personal insults and the emotion, it's clear you're way too attached to this internet persona you've created on an internet forum. 

3 hours ago, firestorm238 said:

I've gotta say - any doubts I had about Juolevi's numbers have been alleviated by actually seeing him play. He's definitely thinking the game on a higher level than his teammates (most of them); I think he'll translate quite well to the NHL.

He's not on the 1st pairing because he is good enough to carry a D partner. He doesn't get the opportunities that he should because Hunter needs him to be a rock on defense. Training camp is going to be very interesting next season if he can put in the work and grow into a man's body this summer.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Just because you have low expectations for our prospects doesn't mean you have turn the entire forum it into a version of "Lowered Expectations." Nobody is getting hurt by having high opinions of players - maybe eventually let down, but thats it. Ok Sargent? Thanks.

tumblr_mx9rcegTfE1qgf1i8o1_400.gif

Never mind that I don't 'expect' Juolevi to be the next Lidstrom anyway lol. 

5 hours ago, junglesniper said:

Perhaps with pro players in a pro structure, those quick touch passes will be easier for him to incorporate into his game. 

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

Let's do it your way then...

I think Horvat's ceiling is Gretzky but he'll probably fall short. Did I do it right?

On 27/01/2017 at 2:56 PM, J.R. said:

But Horvat isn't remotely like Gretzky.

So, no.